Dana 4

Posted November 10, 2012
Fifith grade is not too young for the middle school experience at Dana! They rise to the challenge quickly. Each of my kids at this school have had mostly innovative, wonderful educators. Science is disappointing (not hands-on, just textbook), and rotates weeks with physical education. Students get only one elective (non-core) class for the entire year (art, music, drama OR tech). No foreign language, sports, or elective choices on a semester basis. This is probably budget- and testing-related, but sadly, it results in less well-rounded students. The school is doing very well with incorporating student technology in the classroom. When attending orientation and open-house events, it was assumed we knew how things worked here, but we were new to the area. For those not coming from one of the feeder schools, attending the parent association meetings is the best way to meet some wonderful, energetic parents at Dana and to get information. Overall, a pretty great school considering the confines of being in the San Diego public school system!

Dana 2

Posted October 12, 2012
My son is now in 6th grade at Dana and I really don't have one good thing to say about this school. The student to teacher ratio is ridiculous. They push the online correspondence yet it is not updated so it is little to no help. If your child is having any issues regardless of what they are and you need to speak to a councilor or teacher, GOOD LUCK. Both my younger children will not attend this school!

Posted January 05, 2011
Love Dana Middle. Was reluctant to go to middle school so young, but it has worked out to be a wonderful transition. High academic standards and great elective curriculum. :)

Dana 3

Posted January 04, 2011
Okay school but not for science. 6th grade science is only 4 days every 2 weeks!

Dana 4

Posted September 09, 2010
Both of my children went here. The teachers were hard working and fair. Both my kids were in music/band - the teacher had his favorites which was hard to swallow at times. Their school trip to Sacramento was great. The principle was engaged and the parent volunteers were amazing.

Dana 1

Posted August 12, 2010
Our second child has just finished his 5th grade year at Dana and we are dreading 6th grade. I wish there was an alternative available to us. While we have found the academics to be fairly rigorous the delivery and the homework are not developmentally appropriate for the age of the students. Dana's staff and administration seems to think these kids can handle six teachers a day and two hours of homework a night. Unless you have a personal connection with a teacher forget about them responding to questions or comments. We continue to search for viable alternatives-it sickens my husband and I to think of another year of the same.

Posted May 12, 2009
i cannot say enough about how great this school is. the campus culture by staff, students, and parents is amazing. we've had teachers initiate contact with us when they are concerned about something AND to tell us how great our child is doing! (how often does that happen?!) whenever we have had to approach counselors, principal, vp, teachers, etc. about a problem---they are attentive and caring with their follow through. the opportunities our two kids have experienced here are unique to 5th & 6th graders in San Diego. Dana operates as a middle school with electives such as band, orchestra, jazz, guitar, chorus, musical theater, drama, spanish, computers, and video production. they're in a protected environment where kids stay younger/innocent longer before moving to jr. high. no school is perfect though. it makes me sad to see some have had a rough experience here. check for yourself! www.danamiddle.com

Dana 1

Posted May 12, 2009
My daughter attends Dana and we will not be returning next year. This year has been a nightmare for us. My daughter is being bullied by students and the school refuses to do anything about it. No call backs from the Vice Principal or her teachers as to what is being done to protect my child. The school's lack of compassion and inability to communicate with parents makes me sick. Parents if you can avoid sending your child to Dana, the kids are allowed to bully others and get away with it.

Dana 0

Posted March 06, 2009
I loved, loved, loved this school. My son finished 5th grade and started 6th. However, we are a military family, and had to move out-of-state. My son had wonderful teachers -- one of them --Mr. Q --keep up the wonderful job you do at Dana Mr. Quezada. The school took them camping for a whole week, the after school program on campus is outstanding. I am not sure if they have the same principal, but she was very caring, and did a wonderful job. The school district we live in right now... it truly breaks my heart. I had to enroll my children in private schools. If you live in the Point Loma area in San Diego --take advantage, and enroll your kids there. You will not regret it.

Posted February 28, 2009

Dana
1775 Chatsworth Boulevard, San Diego, CA  92106
Last modified Dana is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dana Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top