San Diego, CA

Posted August 09, 2015
This school has great racial and socio-economic diversity. There is a great sense of community and parent involvement. Grant has a very active PTA that hires professionals to supplement the science and art programs. Grant offers a variety of after-school programs and specialized classes. Teachers are concerned about their students, and students generally get along well. Grant has an excellent special education team and highly-trained teachers for GATE students. Grant is like a private school on a public budget!

Posted August 03, 2015
The teachers are active and involved in the children's education. The families have a great sense of community, and contribute in many, many ways to enrich the kids' school experience. With that said, there are cliques and occasional bouts of elitism and agenda pushing here and there. Nowhere is perfect. By and large a great school for anyone's children.

Posted March 17, 2015
Grant has served my family well! The staff is wonderful. The parents are very involved and the children are very well behaved. A true jewel in the neighborhood.

Grant Elementary School 1

Posted March 07, 2015
Horrid school! The students are mean and judgmental, as well as very cliquey. The teachers are hypocritical and just cannot teach. I sent my daughter here for 7th grade and students from all grades talked behind her back and started rumors about her. Many of these students ,especially in 8th grade, do drugs and try to get 6th and 7th graders to do it too. This school is sick and a waste of my time. Don't do this to your child and send them here. This school is so overrated it makes me sick in the stomach. This school might have a good and high API, but that API doesn't mean a thing when the students are two-faced and snobby and cause my own strong willed daughter to try to commit suicide! I pulled her out immediately and am now going to send her to De Portala or Correia because of this horrible mess they call a school. Don't waste your time on this school.

Posted September 09, 2014
We just love Grant!! I have 2 daughters in the lower grades& we couldn't be happier to be where we are. We have loved every teacher that we've been blessed with and admire the hard working staff & principal. When you combine those things with a large network of dedicated parents unafraid to get in there and roll their sleeves up, to me, it's a winning combination. The sense of community is remarkable. As are the value-added programs paid for by the very active PTA. Seriously, Grant rocks. Go Geckos!

Grant Elementary School 4

Posted March 12, 2014
Grant is a wonderful community school with AMAZING teachers, great parent involvement and a great student body. The academics are top notch, the Science program is strong, the PE teachers are excellent, the band and orchestra are fabulous. We are working on getting Spanish into all grades(now in Middle School) and more Art in the school. Go Grant!!!!!!!!

Posted November 22, 2013
I have three kids at Grant, and my oldest, a fifth grader, has been there since kindergarten. My kids love the school, and as their parent, I am confident they are getting a first-rate education in a nurturing and caring environment. The level of professionalism and commitment I have found in the teachers at Grant is extraordinary. All my children's teachers know their strengths and challenges and each one has a strategy to bring out the best in my child. Also, the parents are extremely committed to the school, and have raised a significant amout of extra funding to support music, art, and other programs at the school. So happy to have my children at Grant!

Posted August 24, 2013
Grant K8 offers children a warm nurturing environment in a beautiful neighborhood setting (next to Pioneer Park) - and has been there for 100 years. I'm a parent and also former student at Grant (I graduated in the late 80's). My two kids (ages 6 and 8) are entering 1st and 3rd grade - both started at Grant in kindergarten. Besides solid curriculum in the core subjects, the PTA and Grant Foundation help support supplemental programs in science, math, music, art and Spanish. The fairly recent addition of middle school grades (2008) has strengthened the Grant community and ensured consistency of both academic rigor as well as special extracurricular opportunities. Parents who become involved are rewarded by feeling that their giving back makes a difference and is appreciated. Fundraising IS a priority for the school, to offset the relatively lower funding received from the state budget. With the upcoming "school improvement plan", it's anticipated that Grant will benefit from facilities upgrades.

Posted August 20, 2013
Wow! I read through some of the comments on here and was a bit surprised. The experience some have had differ greatly from my own personal experience. With 2 going on 3 kids in this school, I can say I have been very satisfied. I am even hoping to get Mr. Martocchio this year. Is it perfect? No, but what school is. But for a neighborhood public school, it ROCKS. The teachers are committed and caring. The parents strive to make it better every day. The middle school is focused on academics while providing a close knit community feeling. It is not right for every kid, but for mine, it is great.

Posted August 20, 2013
We LOVE Grant--the teachers, the staff, the parents, and the kids are all wonderful. We have met such amazing people during our time at this school. The Middle School is great. It is such a relief to not have to worry about a new school until High School. We highly recommend it!!!

Grant Elementary School
1425 Washington Place, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Grant Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grant Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top