Posted September 09, 2014
We just love Grant!! I have 2 daughters in the lower grades& we couldn't be happier to be where we are. We have loved every teacher that we've been blessed with and admire the hard working staff & principal. When you combine those things with a large network of dedicated parents unafraid to get in there and roll their sleeves up, to me, it's a winning combination. The sense of community is remarkable. As are the value-added programs paid for by the very active PTA. Seriously, Grant rocks. Go Geckos!

Grant Elementary School 4

Posted March 12, 2014
Grant is a wonderful community school with AMAZING teachers, great parent involvement and a great student body. The academics are top notch, the Science program is strong, the PE teachers are excellent, the band and orchestra are fabulous. We are working on getting Spanish into all grades(now in Middle School) and more Art in the school. Go Grant!!!!!!!!

Posted November 22, 2013
I have three kids at Grant, and my oldest, a fifth grader, has been there since kindergarten. My kids love the school, and as their parent, I am confident they are getting a first-rate education in a nurturing and caring environment. The level of professionalism and commitment I have found in the teachers at Grant is extraordinary. All my children's teachers know their strengths and challenges and each one has a strategy to bring out the best in my child. Also, the parents are extremely committed to the school, and have raised a significant amout of extra funding to support music, art, and other programs at the school. So happy to have my children at Grant!

Posted August 24, 2013
Grant K8 offers children a warm nurturing environment in a beautiful neighborhood setting (next to Pioneer Park) - and has been there for 100 years. I'm a parent and also former student at Grant (I graduated in the late 80's). My two kids (ages 6 and 8) are entering 1st and 3rd grade - both started at Grant in kindergarten. Besides solid curriculum in the core subjects, the PTA and Grant Foundation help support supplemental programs in science, math, music, art and Spanish. The fairly recent addition of middle school grades (2008) has strengthened the Grant community and ensured consistency of both academic rigor as well as special extracurricular opportunities. Parents who become involved are rewarded by feeling that their giving back makes a difference and is appreciated. Fundraising IS a priority for the school, to offset the relatively lower funding received from the state budget. With the upcoming "school improvement plan", it's anticipated that Grant will benefit from facilities upgrades.

Posted August 20, 2013
Wow! I read through some of the comments on here and was a bit surprised. The experience some have had differ greatly from my own personal experience. With 2 going on 3 kids in this school, I can say I have been very satisfied. I am even hoping to get Mr. Martocchio this year. Is it perfect? No, but what school is. But for a neighborhood public school, it ROCKS. The teachers are committed and caring. The parents strive to make it better every day. The middle school is focused on academics while providing a close knit community feeling. It is not right for every kid, but for mine, it is great.

Posted August 20, 2013
We LOVE Grant--the teachers, the staff, the parents, and the kids are all wonderful. We have met such amazing people during our time at this school. The Middle School is great. It is such a relief to not have to worry about a new school until High School. We highly recommend it!!!

Posted August 19, 2013
The school feels like a real community with caring teachers and involved families. With a child in middle school and one in elementary school here, I feel confident in their success.

Posted August 19, 2013
Grant K8 is an extraordinary school with committed faculty and staff. The parent community and PTA is very active and has made this school a real gem. With a new campus renovation starting in 2015 this school will be the best around. The science, math, gardening, digital media, art and music programs that are funded by the PTA also provide the students with an extraordinary experience.

Grant Elementary School 2

Posted May 03, 2013
Another Mission Hills family leaving Grant!! Discussded with teachers and Principal. So sad so many local families choose to send kids elsewhere.

Grant Elementary School 3

Posted April 18, 2013
Grant is a good school, yes, but it's not great. First, their current math program for the lower school is outdated and confusing. And can I say something about the school's favorite kindergarten teacher, Mr. Martacchio? He is the coldest, most arrogant, close minded kindergarten teacher I have ever met. His system works well for most (he has them disciplined like little soldiers) but any child who does not fall perfectly within his system gets left behind and labeled as a trouble maker. What's worse, he isolates the "trouble makers" and creates a cycle of misbehavior. What century are we living in?

Grant Elementary School
1425 Washington Place, San Diego, CA  92103
Last modified Grant Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grant Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top