San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 16, 2014
Awesome school with great support staff. Highly trained professional staff members who motivate thier students to learn.

Posted August 16, 2014
We have had a great experience with Hancock and look forward to our new principal at the school. As for the person who said they discourage parent involvement, I am sure you have the wrong school as there are over 50 parent volunteers at this school. Maybe you should join and involve yourself. The entire kindergarten staff is wonderful. I have never had a problem with the office staff. They have been very nice to me. Maybe your poor attitude can be seen from the moment you enter the door.

Posted May 13, 2014
I am trying everything in my power to change schools, or I will homeschool. The teachers (the ones my kids have) are a joke. Teachers cant keep meetings, make kids feel bad about themselves, an over all crappy school.

Posted February 26, 2014
This is not the type of school for family involvement. They actually discourage parental involvement. There is no communication from the school whatsoever about how your child is doing. My daughter is in kindergarten and I can not wait to get her into another school using school choice voucher. Another problem is the people who work in the office are so rude to the parents and the children. Just walk in on any given day and after you are ignored you will rudely greeted with can I help you. As if you are in the wrong for just walking in the office to ask a simple question. Lunch time for kindergarten consists of the kids getting screamed at with a megaphone, and whistles being blown to quite the kids. Very impersonal, it took until November for my daughters teacher to know who she was . If your moving to this area go to sandi.net and voucher to another school or drive your kids outside the district right down aero to angier elementary. 100xs nicer school. Hancock elementary doesn't even have a PTA. It's the worst school I have ever encountered.

Posted November 15, 2013
I have children in kindergarten and 2nd grade and I am very please with their teachers. I have high expectations for schools as I am a student getting a degree in education. We live in the neighborhood and moved here after we had a chance to choice our kids to another school. I am glad we were able to give this school a chance and will continue to go there. I volunteer 4 days a week in the classrooms as well and I have seen nothing but greatness come from these teachers.

Posted October 28, 2013
Prior to my children attending Hancock I had concerns in regards of the quality education my children would receive at a primarily military enrolled school but Hancock is one the best schools my children have attended. I have one child with special needs and one without and they are but receiving a high quality education. I am impressed with the professionalism and the range of services available. The staff and teachers are wonderful and our children are having an educational experience where they are both thriving in classrooms that teach to individual needs. We are one of the few officer families who choose to send their children to Hancock and I am amazed that more of our neighbors chose not to send their children to there. The teachers and staff are dedicated and thorough. The only difficulty I have run into is poor parental involvement, which is not at the fault of the school. With the teaching staff going above and beyond to ensure my children's needs are met, we are blessed to have found this wonderful school.

Posted October 27, 2013
This school is by far the worst I have ever seen. It seems that since there is a large concentration of military in this area that the district feels it can let this school slide to ruins. The teachers for the most part do not care about your children, however, there are a few stars in the bunch. My children were constantly late for lunch (not being allowed to eat) by fault of the teachers inability to manage her time properly. My son who is learning math at home is two full years ahead of his peers because his teacher uses a dvd to babysit and teach math while she does only god knows what. When handing in assignments he is constantly reported as delinquent or missing because his teacher refuses to flip the the assignment over to look for a name and just throws them away or in a basket she doesn't look in. Most of the teachers are just plain LAZY, RUDE or ignorant to what children need. If they are burned out then move on!!! The principal is never available to handle issues and allows her bully front office assistant to intersect and act on her behalf. The stars of this school are Ms. Effron, Ms. Cutler, Ms. Craig and Mr. Steel. If you need to go here then ask for these guys.

Posted May 17, 2013
Hancock Elementary: If your kid goes to Hancock then you DEFINITELY are a military family. Keep in mind: military schools typically come with a host of unique problems - parents serving deployments which can be disruptive to home life, family moves frequently, Parents less-well-educated than other mainstream schools (ceterus paribus for same socio-economic strata), etc. However, they also have a greater sense of shared community and a more-diverse student body, which has its benefits (though these don't typically come out in standardized testing). Wife and I live on the Officer side of the neighborhood and our daughter attends Hancock, 2nd grade. Her assigned teacher, Ms. Doran, could not be a more attentive instructor. She is professional, wise, kind and maintains a great learning environment for the children. She is the best teacher our daughter has had in 3 different states. Teachers should not be held responsible for the education of children, only the instruction (some persons fail to understand this, I know...) of said kids. Hancock is a safe, organized school, even considering the scene at pickup everyday is a big CF, but due to the parents not the administration ;)

Posted February 28, 2013
Well apparently half of my review dissappeared - basically my 9 yr. old granddaughter who is new to this school is failing math - has ADD and altho she's in 4th grade is only working at a 3rd grade level in math due to her previous school. So after several attempts to get help for her and trying to get the school to accept her into an afterschool math program (they have the program available for all grades except 4th - so her mom tried to get them to accept her into the 3rd grade program since she's working at 3rd grade level anyway but it's full) but apparently they would prefer to see her fail than add 1 more child to the program. How ridiculous is this !!

Posted December 24, 2012
i go to to this school and im a fifth grader so i have to say to give it a five. one because my brother threw up in the bathroom and when he went to the nurse my mom wasnt told about it till after the day was over and she started to make a fuss about it. over all i love the school, it was where i met my best friend and we both excelled in the fifth grade so we are both hoping to go to the same middle school and i owe it all to my teachers who have brought me to the top and my best friend would probably say the same thing.

Hancock Elementary School
3303 Taussig Street, San Diego, CA  92124
Last modified Hancock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5
Hancock Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top