Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Hancock Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 12, 2016
Enforcement of basic rules concerning respect and behavior is nonexistent, muchless any character development. It's unfair to the students who want to learn for the entire day and classroom to revolve around students with behavior issues.

Posted January 12, 2016
We're not new to schools that are predominantly military, so we are accustomed to the unique challenges associated with the demographic that this school serves. However, in our short time at Hancock, I'm appalled by the amount of disrespect toward teachers and other students, as well as physical violence that I've witnessed by so many of the children at this school. More importantly, though the teachers may be good as other reviewers have stated, they seem way too tolerant of the behavior issues running rampant. Where does it stop and who is willing to enforce the "no tolerance" rules that are supposed to be in place? The code of conduct is an absolute joke and the kids take full advantage of that. In one week, I've witnessed more behavior issues being ignored than I have in all of the years at other schools. Instead of talking about what they did in school, my kids now come home with an endless amount of stories about skipping assignments because they have to play the silent game due to other students' behavior, teachers that spend the majority of their day making threats to call home or revoke recess because the classroom is out of control, and complaints about kids constantly and intentionally being disruptive. Oh, and there's no principal because apparently the last one resigned... I wonder why. This school is in desperate need of someone who has enough experience and an authoritative enough hand to get the behavior issues sorted so the teachers can get back to teaching and the children have a chance to learn. Good luck finding someone who is up to the challenge.

Posted May 26, 2015
My experience with the staff and especially the teach is not very good nor pleasant to deal with. Ratio = students to teachers: 25:1 (no assistant aid) (i have request to move to my child to a smaller class but 25 is the minimum) two classes share a room so 50:2 Communication in helping your child - terrible Assistance for child's needs - bad Fund raising and volunteering- Exceptional, always continue to requesting for donations for raising money for the school Administration Office- average but again short to the point answers or do it yourself actions Grading & report Cards: Very Very Very broad, not specific nor clear what the child need to work on. The only proof is not by notes by teacher of what the child has done in class that week to prove something that she/he is currently is doing okay on. (like coloring, counting, ect~ again not very clear) Overall I highly recommended to look for another school.

Posted November 16, 2014
Awesome school with great support staff. Highly trained professional staff members who motivate thier students to learn.

Posted August 16, 2014
We have had a great experience with Hancock and look forward to our new principal at the school. As for the person who said they discourage parent involvement, I am sure you have the wrong school as there are over 50 parent volunteers at this school. Maybe you should join and involve yourself. The entire kindergarten staff is wonderful. I have never had a problem with the office staff. They have been very nice to me. Maybe your poor attitude can be seen from the moment you enter the door.

Posted May 13, 2014
I am trying everything in my power to change schools, or I will homeschool. The teachers (the ones my kids have) are a joke. Teachers cant keep meetings, make kids feel bad about themselves, an over all crappy school.

Posted February 26, 2014
This is not the type of school for family involvement. They actually discourage parental involvement. There is no communication from the school whatsoever about how your child is doing. My daughter is in kindergarten and I can not wait to get her into another school using school choice voucher. Another problem is the people who work in the office are so rude to the parents and the children. Just walk in on any given day and after you are ignored you will rudely greeted with can I help you. As if you are in the wrong for just walking in the office to ask a simple question. Lunch time for kindergarten consists of the kids getting screamed at with a megaphone, and whistles being blown to quite the kids. Very impersonal, it took until November for my daughters teacher to know who she was . If your moving to this area go to sandi.net and voucher to another school or drive your kids outside the district right down aero to angier elementary. 100xs nicer school. Hancock elementary doesn't even have a PTA. It's the worst school I have ever encountered.

Posted November 15, 2013
I have children in kindergarten and 2nd grade and I am very please with their teachers. I have high expectations for schools as I am a student getting a degree in education. We live in the neighborhood and moved here after we had a chance to choice our kids to another school. I am glad we were able to give this school a chance and will continue to go there. I volunteer 4 days a week in the classrooms as well and I have seen nothing but greatness come from these teachers.

Hancock Elementary School 4

Posted October 28, 2013
Prior to my children attending Hancock I had concerns in regards of the quality education my children would receive at a primarily military enrolled school but Hancock is one the best schools my children have attended. I have one child with special needs and one without and they are but receiving a high quality education. I am impressed with the professionalism and the range of services available. The staff and teachers are wonderful and our children are having an educational experience where they are both thriving in classrooms that teach to individual needs. We are one of the few officer families who choose to send their children to Hancock and I am amazed that more of our neighbors chose not to send their children to there. The teachers and staff are dedicated and thorough. The only difficulty I have run into is poor parental involvement, which is not at the fault of the school. With the teaching staff going above and beyond to ensure my children's needs are met, we are blessed to have found this wonderful school.

Posted October 27, 2013
This school is by far the worst I have ever seen. It seems that since there is a large concentration of military in this area that the district feels it can let this school slide to ruins. The teachers for the most part do not care about your children, however, there are a few stars in the bunch. My children were constantly late for lunch (not being allowed to eat) by fault of the teachers inability to manage her time properly. My son who is learning math at home is two full years ahead of his peers because his teacher uses a dvd to babysit and teach math while she does only god knows what. When handing in assignments he is constantly reported as delinquent or missing because his teacher refuses to flip the the assignment over to look for a name and just throws them away or in a basket she doesn't look in. Most of the teachers are just plain LAZY, RUDE or ignorant to what children need. If they are burned out then move on!!! The principal is never available to handle issues and allows her bully front office assistant to intersect and act on her behalf. The stars of this school are Ms. Effron, Ms. Cutler, Ms. Craig and Mr. Steel. If you need to go here then ask for these guys.

Hancock Elementary School
3303 Taussig Street, San Diego, CA  92124-3501
Last modified Hancock Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.