No rating

Hardy Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 420 students

We are located next to San Diego State University and enjoy a strong partnership

Sweep tile

Posted January 21, 2014

I was looking forward to having my 6 yr old attend this school. After trying to enroll him, we needed a form completed & waited a while for the RN to arrive.As she arrived we were told she was not qualified & that the RN would call us in the afternoon. Never received a call & my son had to return home today after looking forward to attending this school & being nervous for his first day out of home schooling. I had wierd vibes & now after reading the reviews, I see why I had those vibes.The principal appears superficial, the front office is very disorganized & unprofessional.The staff talking about their personal lives & vacation time. I can definately see some shady things going on in this school. very cold environment & now we will choose another school with professionalism, diversity, activities, and organization. poor diversity, & staff appear to be judgemental. No thank you .The principal appears to be so self centered, she should have come out to help problem solve & help as much as she can. She appeared to be more worried about her appearance & outfit more than the kids, she is a total Axis II borderline personality disorder .......POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! SO DISAPPOINTED

Posted June 3, 2013

To the parent post from March 2 2013- if you are referring the lunatic parents who want to protect children from teacher bullying that has occurred at this school and also within SDUSD and want the district to enforce policies that are in place to protect children, then you are referring this parent as well. If you want to attend a school where teachers and administration "pretend" things like teacher bullying have not occurred, then this is the school for you. If you enjoy having your child attend a school where only 78% of the student population were proficient or advance in Math and LA, then Hardy is the school for you. Ask the current admin at Hardy how they were able to obtain a Distinguished School Award when the school did not meet the Hardy SSC academic achievement goal of 81% the previous years? To future parents shopping for a school, read SARC reports, and ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Posted February 21, 2013

What a terrific school. I come from a small town and this is how I remember how school was like. All the teachers know you. In fact, a lot of the parents do, too. There is such heart and a sense of community; I'm so happy that my children get to experience this wonderful and thriving environment!

Posted February 16, 2012

I have read some of these reviews and they are quite scathing. There are a lot of buzz words such as "mean" and "bullying" etc. I didn't see anything specific that would cause me to be alarmed. One comment in particular that caught my attention was that the principal was "unethical." That is a huge accusation to say about someone. I don't know the principal very well but she seems very sincere and eager to hear what parents have to say. I wonder if any of these unhappy parents dealt directly with the "problem" teachers? My son got off on the wrong foot with a teacher in middle school. He got stomach aches and didn't want to go to school. We met with the teacher and i helped facilitate the breakdown in communication between them. He gained a better understanding of what was expected for this class. I gave my son the opportunity and skills to take charge of a situation. I didn't fight his battle for him. Now my son is doing great in his class and he has found they have a common interest in Aztec basketball. Many parents think this would make it worse for the child but what message are we sending our kids if we don't first start with the problem head-on?

Posted January 20, 2012

I was a student at this school and was bullied by a TEACHER who screamed at kids, told our class to shut up, threw things across the room, and humiliated kids for not knowing things or forgetting their homework. Most of my teachers were great but this one was really, really, really bad. I can't believe that adults won't do something about it! I can't believe that the adults think nothing bad is going on.

Posted January 17, 2012

First hand knowledge of the wonderful staff at this school has led me to write this review. The children in my family have all had a wonderful experiences here that are reflected in their success in later years. Last weeks editorial sums it all up. Good teachers help our children thrive. How lucky any child is to spend their elementary years at Hardy. Kudos to this wonderful little school.

Posted January 15, 2012

Hardy is a very typical public school. There are some nice teachers, some awful. Nice staff will not protect children from the really mean teachers. The test scores are not truly that impressive. Like most public schools, parents are only allowed to do the bake sales and carnivals. If discerning parents who look more closely raise questions about test scores and chronically poor performing staff those parents will be on the "outs" with staff. This is a very, very "typical" public school. It is ok if you are looking for "babysitting"', but don't expect "stellar" .

Posted January 7, 2012

Love this school. The people, diversity, and caring professionals all make this small community school a gem. The open door policy of teachers and staff give it a real sense of community. They are also trying to start a community garden which will benefit all in the neighborhood.

Posted January 7, 2012

This is a wonderful school with many extra programs, including, music, art, and a running club before school. There are also gifted enrichment programs that run during recess and after school. The teachers are caring professionals that go above and beyond the call to help parents and students alike. I would highly recommend this school!

Posted January 7, 2012

If you are "in" with the principal you might have an "ok" experience at Hardy, presuming you can keep your kids away from certain "problem" teachers. I've observed parents who raise legitimate concerns be seriously mistreated. If your kids are lucky and avoid bad teachers or are "favorites" they'll do fine. All these very glowing reviews are beginning to sound very similiar. I wonder if my review will mysteriosuly be removed like other concerned parent reviews

Posted January 6, 2012

My review was also removed from this website. We will see how long this attempt stays posted. There is no Gate program and Gate kids remain sorely unchallenged. There is a faction of parents who want to pretend that the school is ideal but the parent voice has been squelched and teachers' voices as well. What a disappointment this school is to many.

Posted January 6, 2012

Hardy truly is a Great School. I have been a parent here for several years and I didn't think it was possible for this school to improve, but it has! The academic programs continue to challenge the students to learn and grow at an incredible rate. The teaching staff is professional and inspirational. The current administrator has implemented many special programs for students, including a school-wide American Postcard Project and supplemental activities for the GATE students during lunch time (my favorite being the book club). My children are happy, safe and thriving at Hardy Elemenary and I wouldn't send them anywhere else! I love this gem of a school!

Posted October 12, 2011

I have taught at several high performing schools and prestigious areas in this city and our test scores at Hardy far exceed those other schools regardless of their communities and student populations. I have asked myself many times, what is it that makes Hardy so unique? We have such a beautiful blend of children from a variety of cultures that make our school a rich environment where children are encouraged to blossom and grow! Our children are thriving in a "real-world" situation each and every day. The students receive excellent instruction at school which is then reinforced at home with our supportive parent community. At Hardy, we are unique in the fact that we have very little transiency. The students that begin with us as kindergarteners remain at Hardy until that warm July day when they stand before us at fifth grade promotion more than ready for the challenges that await them in middle-school. Hardy uses a GATE cluster model which allows access to all students. Why should one test determine which children should and should not benefit from enriched instruction? There is not another school in this district where I would prefer to teach!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 20, 2011

I wonder how this school can get such a high rating considering the following things: 1. although the teachers are 'GATE certified', there are no special seminar classes, and with the increased class sizes due to budget cuts, it is impossible to foresee the teachers who are already at their max with the work load, doing any special education or motivating GATE students in different ways. 2. For years now there have been serious complaints about a staff member, yet no effective action has taken place. The bottom line is the safety and well being of the children, and I guess it is really hard to keep that in mind when dealing with teacher's unions and district officials.

Posted June 27, 2011

I have had 3 children attend Hardy Elementary over the last 10 years and have had many great experiences. Despite the budget issues facing San Diego City Schools, Hardy Elementary has made their school such a treasure. Every teacher my children have had has been wonderful. The principle and teachers are easy to access via e-mail or after school hours to keep in constant communication so that their students succeed. The staff truly cares about each child as if they are their own. They value each child as an individual and foster a positive learning environment. They teach for the children, not for tests. The classrooms are filled with fun, learning, and laughter. Hardy has managed to staff a full-time art teacher, has a PE program in partnership with SDSU, computer education, English Learner instruction, and a wonderful "power hour" to strengthen all of the students reading skills. Hardy has a wonderfully diverse student population and continues to achieve higher than average test scores. Hardy is a "hidden gem"!!

Posted April 26, 2010

My middle child went to this school and graduated. It is very personal, off the beaten path, and excellent academics. They really work with your kids on progress and take a vested interest in my childs future. My daughter will attend until she graduates as well. I LOVE HARDY

Posted September 4, 2009

This school is wonderful! My daughter just left for middle school. She came to Hardy from a private school, which was more interested in scores than the student. My son will continue because Hardy teaches him well, is very consistent and truly cares about the individual student. The only problem I see with this school is not having an on-site alternative to the wonderful afterschool program.

Posted August 23, 2009

My daughter attended for K and 1st grade before we decided to move to another school. Her last year there really contributed to our decision to move to a private school. I volunteered in the classroom and witnessed hours of wasted instructional time expecting the kids to do over an hour of 'independent' reading(which always ended up with the kids goofing off or staring into space), plus hours of (non-educational) movie watching. After only 2 years the principal is leaving so who knows what will become of the school.

Posted April 14, 2008

The teachers are wonderful. They take the time not just with the students but the parents as well. My daughter has improved by leaps and bounds, she impresses me daily with what she learns.

Posted August 18, 2007

This is the best school ever. I am so glad I decided on Hardy when my daughter started Kindergarten. All the teachers are great, Mr. Marshall was an excellent principal, we will miss him greatly, he knew every student by name. He retired at the end of this school year. We have meet our new principal briefly and he seems great too. The school has a small student body which makes it 'homey'. The kids don't get lost in the crowd. The school has an art teacher and a permanent art room. This is great for the kids, they love going to art every week. The PTA does many assemblies and extra activities for the kids. They invest a lot of time and effort to give the students the best. Parents are greatly involved in school activities. SDSU students does PE with the kids as well. A+

The API reflects year-over-year schools performance based on STAR test score results from spring 2012.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2012

Change from 2011 to 2012
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Science

Asian 36% 11%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 62%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• Access to farm or natural area
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 7:40 am
School end time
  • 2:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kathy Wolfe
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Year-round
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 286-2016

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• Art teacher(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Heartlight Aerobics
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Science club
  • Yoga club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor