Loma Portal Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 411 students

We will promote an atmosphere that fosters creativity and self-reliance.

Sweep tile

Posted March 24, 2014

Attending this school is like attending a little private school right in our neighborhood. First, the school itself is almost 100 years old with beautiful architecture. It's tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. I have had a child at Loma Portal for the past 7 years and have watched the test scores improve through the guidance of the principal who is always focused on the children. We live 5 blocks away and have made countless friends in our own neighborhood who would never would have known if our children didn't attend school here. My older children received a great education and are consistently on the honor roll at middle school. The Foundation and PTA put on great events - some just for fun and some to raise funds. The funds raised support things that benefit every child at the school - a computer lab, music program, new PE equipment, shade covers, a wonderful new amphitheater and time with a librarian every week. If you live in Loma Portal's boundaries, don't miss the chance to be part of your own community. If you are able to choice in - you should!

Posted March 7, 2014

This school is a little gem in a tight neighborhood. It's the perfect school setting to introduce your child to their primary education years. The staff is dedicated, teachers want to teach there and many have been there for decades. The principal is all about the children and passionate about the kids' safety -- to the point that could offend others. But she is truly a committed asset to the school, serving since 2007. The size of the student body is not too big, or too small at around 400. The amount of neighborhood children has increased so much over the last 8 years that now it is a very hard school to choice into for students outside the school boundaries. It has the highest % of neighborhood kids enrolled at their neighborhood school for the PL Cluster. If you live in the school boundaries, enroll - it's not worth the commute to choice out. Parents and children (including my 4 kids) benefit from the families they have met that live blocks away. For further thought, teachers at Dana Middle have repeatedly pointed out that students from Loma Portal Elementary come to 5th grade the most prepared compared to other feeder schools.

Posted February 10, 2014

Choosing to attend our neighborhood school has been the best decision we have made for our family. We are able to walk to school every day, and have gotten to know all kinds of families in our neighborhood. It has simplified our lives greatly and has given us the gift of time and community-connectedness. Most importantly, though, this sweet school has been so good for my children, who are having a positive, nurturing, safe, and academically strong experience there.

Posted January 27, 2014

We absolutely love this school!!! Our daughter has. been at Loma Portal for 2 years now and we couldn't be more pleased with our Neighborhood School. The teachers are phenomenal! Parent involvement is encouraged on so many levels...from participating in the classroom to fundraising. There are so many ways to get involved! We are a military Family and love how many other military families their are in the school. The military kids club is wonderful and a wonderful way for the kids to connect with other military families. The school holds so many fun events throughout the school year for families! We really feel a wonderful connection to our school and community! We wouldn't send our kids anywhere else!!

Posted January 22, 2014

We love our local school, Loma Portal Elementary. The principal, teachers, and parent community are amazing. We are so fortunate to have such a great school within walking distance to our house. We would never send our kids anywhere else!

Posted January 22, 2014

When considering Loma Portal, the community aspect is probably #1 in my heart. Invest your time, your money and your children in your community and the payback will be more than worth all of it! I did it, so I would know!! Go Dolphins!!

Posted January 22, 2014

Both of our children are currently attending Loma Portal Elementary. It is a fantastic school with lots of parent involvement. Both of their teachers are AMAZING. My kids feel challenged and love going to school every day. We feel fortunate to have Loma Portal as our beautiful, neighborhood school.

Posted January 22, 2014

We love Loma Portal Elementary, the Teachers and engaging and dynamic. The parent involvement is exceptional we have had nothing but great experiences in the past 5 years.

Posted January 22, 2014

We have two kids at Loma Portal and both are testing off the charts in reading and math. It's all about fantastic teaching at Loma Portal. The teachers have taken extra seminars to prepare for Common Core - paid for by the parent organization. If you care about your child actually LEARNING - Loma Portal is fantastic. Love all the parent friendships I've made over the years, too! So great to walk my kids to school in such a great community. We are so lucky we don't have to choice in - we live here and love LP!

Posted January 21, 2014

Best school in Point Loma by far! The teachers, staff and parents are really dedicated to learning. I have had children at this school since 2005 and every teacher we've had has been fantastic! I love the Spanish-style architecture and the layout - and a parent is spearheading an ecological school grounds master plan that is really going to transform the outside spaces. There is a LOT of parent involvement, which I love and feel that it shows how much the families care about their kids and the entire student body. I also love the Seminar program for those who test above GATE. The teacher Mrs. Magaudda is amazing. They have a real librarian who dresses up each year in a different theme - fairy princess, pirate, cowboy, etc. and her influence has really made a difference with my children reading every night. In the computer lab the kids are already learning the basics of programming in addition to typing skills and putting together powerpoint presentations. All the fundraising is centered around activities that bring families together . The spring auction is super fun as well as all the PTA/Foundation events throughout the year. Love that people walk to school!

Posted January 21, 2014

I have had children at this school for 6 years. It was our neighborhood school, and when we moved out of the area, we choiced back into the school rather then send them to our new neighborhood school, which was Silvergate, because we were so completely satisfied with the education our children were receiving. There is a lot of support from our community and parents. The school has a lot of fun activities and events for the whole family. The teachers really care and are dedicated professionals. There is a running club in the morning that all three of my kids participated in and LOVED. My oldest two are now at Dana and I have routinely heard that the Loma Portal students are better prepared for Dana because of our awesome 4th grade program, teachers, the computer curriculum, and the overall experience at Loma Portal.

Posted January 21, 2014

My daughter loved Loma Portal especially her 4th grade teachers. They really inspired her to do her best! They also prepared her for the middle school experience by switching teachers. She was very prepared for Dana Middle School. Our family has made many wonderful friends through our ties with Loma Portal. I am so happy that she attended Loma Portal.

Posted January 21, 2014

Loma Portal Elementary is a treasure! Fabulous teachers, Warm and friendly community, Involved families, Progressive curriculum with weekly rotations (music, computer lab, PE, and library) Plus a skilled principal who manages it all in times of drastic budgets!! Loma Portal is our neighborhood school - there was NO need to look anywhere else. If you live outside the school boundaries, hurry to get on the list to choice in. This is one of the BEST elementary schools within San Diego Unified!

Posted January 15, 2014

Our family loves Loma Portal! This is my child's third year here and he loves going to school everyday. Principal Gerde is great! She is very available, approachable, and does what she can to address any concerns. She's here for your kids! There are so many childen/school activites that the kids have so much fun! We offer Everyone a Reader progam to assist with reading challanges. This allows students to excell outside the classroom also.Academics are such a high priority, but so is the idea of family. Loma Portal has a strong sense of community.From the students to the parents. Parent involvement is crucial at any school and our parents are phenominal.There are plenty of opportunities to involve yourselve as little or as much as you want. Our teachers are great and really do put the children first. I'm happy that we chose Loma Portal as our school and look forward to being here for the next 5years and creating so many more fabulous memories!

Posted January 9, 2014

I couldn't be happier with Loma Portal. My two kids love coming to school and look forward to it every day. The teachers are wonderful - the lines of communication are always open - and I feel like both my children are thriving. The school puts on so many fun activities for the kids - from Halloween carnivals to variety shows, family dances to spring music festivals - there is always something to look forward to. Academically speaking, I have one child in kindergarten and one child in first grade and I'm amazed with everything they're learning. I'm able to volunteer twice a week in their classrooms and while they're pushed to do their very best, the teachers make learning fun. Kids are also held accountable for their actions and are expected to respectful to each other, their teachers and themselves. Five stars and two thumbs up for Loma Portal.

Posted January 3, 2014

My son recently went to this school. He went for first grade and 4 months of second grade before I finally had enough! The teachers are just ok, it really depends on which one you get. My son's first grade teacher was a space cadet and this second grade teacher seemed VERY overwhelmed and unpleasant. I had the following issues: the school changed my son's classroom from an all 2nd grade room to a 1st/2nd combined classroom 3 months AFTER school began for the year, without any notice to the parents. The mixed grade classrooms are NOT based on a kids performance but just based on the "numbers". This school is ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS asking for money and fundraising. They target the more wealthy parents and push the poorer parents to the side. However the worst thing about this school is undoubtedly Principle Gerde! She is HORRIBLE! She is unprofessional, very confrontational, condescending and that's with parents! I hate to think of how she would treat a child in private. She has anger management issues and is on youtube hitting an individual on school grounds. Think twice because the "8" rating is down from the "9" it use to be. Your child deserves better!

Posted July 14, 2013

We have been at Loma Portal for 4 years now. The teachers are all fabulous. The principal on the other-hand, is a bipolar nutcase. I have seen her call the police on several parents over what should have been a simple conversation. She is unapprachable and horribly unprofessional. The majority of my friends who started at this school have pulled their kids out and put them in other local schools due to her crazy antics. Sadly I won't be starting my 5 year old there next year with his brother and sister because I can't handle 5 more years of this crazy woman. Several of the parents have withdrawn from the PTA and don't volunteer anymore because she makes everything so complicated. Most of her staff hates her but stay because there is such a shortage of jobs. Many parents have gone to the school board with complaints but she seems to be protected because she has been in the union over 10 years.

Posted July 11, 2011

Loma Portal is a very special place. As both a parent of three LP students and an 18 year LP teacher, I have to say there is no other place I would consider sending my sons, or working. The community support and involvement is amazing, the academic programs are differentiated and appropriately challenging, the staff is innovative and the leadership supportive, the music program is vigorous and joyful, the computer lab and teacher are cutting edge, and our librarian is a true gem! LP's PTA and Foundation support each and every child through both their fund raising efforts and their presence on campus. Where else will you find professional men and women, retirees, and members of our armed forces taking time out of their days to read with children: at Loma Portal as part of LP's Everyone a Reader Program. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful place to support and teach our children. I've been to many sites and have friends who teach at others, both within and beyond SDUSD, and would not consider sending my sons elsewhere. Our family LOVES LOMA PORTAL!!!

Posted January 6, 2011

The August 18th poster is prompting me to write this review. How can you say the classroom was disorganized, yet the teacher was great? A bit contradictory. I toured several Pt. Loma elementary schools when making a Kindergarten decision 2 years ago, and Loma Portal's classrooms made my decision easy. They were by far the most organized, well decorated, and orderly. The teachers are amazing (lots of communication), the students are very respectful to each other and parents/staff, and the atmosphere in and out of the classroom is extremely conducive to a great education. I volunteer in my 2 kids' classrooms 2 days a week and sense the "good vibe" first hand. Parents have many ways to be included/involved. The PTA and foundation provide funds for many extras including a music teacher and computer lab. Parents not friendly??? I have never heard anybody say that about Loma Portal. I went to private school growing up, and this school is better in many ways................

Posted August 18, 2010

I was not impressed with the school when my child attended there. The classroom was disorganized and the parents at the school were not very friendly at all! The teachers, however, were great and really cared about teaching and the kids in their classrooms.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

All Students73%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 45%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs
  • Science club

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Glenda Gerde
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 224-1352

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Dolphin Club
  • Science club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school does not have a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor