Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Marvin Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 08, 2016
All the teachers are tremendous at Marvin Elementary, I appreciate each and every one of them.

Posted February 08, 2016
Wonderful parents, great involvement. Long term teachers with commitment to their students. A family atmosphere, a happy educational experience for young kids to grow.

Posted March 05, 2014
Marvin is our neighborhood school and we love it! Our son is in kindergarten, and he loves to go to school every single day. His teacher is fanstastic, Mrs. Brainard, and we couldn't be happier with her. So glad we didn't choice into another school.

Posted January 22, 2014
I live near Marvin Elementary School and want to say to the former review, the principal has no authority over what the city implements. The community complained to the city about no wheelchair access for the disabled. The principal sent out an advanced warning reporting the construction the city was implementing. This was out of the districts control. We thank San Diego School District for all the positive responses this principal has made to upgrade the access for the disabled. The parents and staff understand having access for any disabled is very important. The atmosphere at Marvin is very professional with many parents involving themselves in the school and it's activities. This is why Marvin is one of the most chosen and best schools in the district. The teachers take much interest in all the students and their academic development. The principal is very professional and is involved with the academic development of all students. We love this school and are greatly satisfied with the principal and staff at Marvin. Marvin is labeled as a California Distinguished School. We thank the principal and staff for taking Marvin to this level.

Posted September 05, 2013
First let me just say we choiced into Marvin. Our neighborhood school is actually Green. I am so glad we did. Last year our teacher was Ms. O'Hara. She is great and very active with the class. We just started first grade and so far so good. I have heard stories about the principle but every experience I have had has been positive and feel confident that when it gets down to it, he makes sure every child feels included and needs are met. I look forward to the many years of being apart of the Mustangs! The ptf fully funded a PE teacher, a new art program and lots of other cool stuff. As far as the negative reviews, I am sorry that other families experiences at Marvin aren't positive. Kids can be cruel, I know first hand. But because there is an issue doesnt mean you need to transfer to get the issue resolved. In my opinion that is setting an example to our kids that is it ok to run from your problems. Sometimes it is necessary, however in the real world you cant do that so why teach our kids that. In my experience I have become a stronger person by taking a stand. If the teacher and principle arent giving you the results you need to go to the district and get it resolved.

Posted May 01, 2013
I have 2 children at Marvin and love this school. Parents are friendly and we love the teachers. I volunteer in my childrens classrooms and always feel welcomed and are surrounded by nice people. We live in the community and walk to and from school with is especially nice. We have a great science program where the kids go to science class weekly. There is a Marvin Garden, PE program, art program, marvin orchestra, GATE and Seminar classes and a lot of parent involvement. I highly recommend this school. I believe attending your local elementary school and not choicing out is the best way to create a strong sense of commiunity and ultimately will make your community school better. Children will attend schools with kids on their block and it will promote more parents to be involved.

Posted May 01, 2013
My daughter has been going to Marvin since Jr K and I have nothing but positive things to say. The prinicpal has been approachable and effective. I have volunteered in each class that my daughter has been in and feel as though they are getting quality education. Most of the parents are very involved and the PTF raises enough money for programs to be funded, such as art class, science class and PE. I believe that it is not only the teachers and principals that make a difference in the school, but parents as well. Marvin has this. There a quite a few teachers that work at Marvin that went to this school as children. They are now teaching at Marvin and some of them even have their own children attending Marvin. This says alot. This school is a small neighborhood school that I feel safe sending my daughter to. She has grown by leaps and bound and I have nothing but positive feedback!

Posted March 04, 2013
This is our first year at Marvin and I've been very happy with the experience. Our JK teacher is fantastic - She is funny and kind, she appears to treat everyone fairly, and she has been totally open to all communication - my emails are promptly responded to, and she will chat with me before and after class. Any problems I've had have been addressed immediately. I believe communication is a 2-way street and parents MUST bring issues up with teachers AND make themselves available and willing to hear feedback. The school grounds are beautiful - clean and full of mature plants and trees. We toured nearby Hearst (a better performing school) and I was dismayed to see so much trash on the ground. Another nearby school was stark concrete with high fences like a prison. The surroundings of Marvin were a significant factor in our choice and we will probably return next year. I want to add that I wish Greatschools would filter results. Reviews with one sentence like, "The principal is bad" are not helpful to anyone, and so many such reviews for Marvin here make me think there is a troll lurking. Please elaborate your reviews, and PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CHILD'S TEACHERS.

Marvin Elementary School 1

Posted February 21, 2013
There is a problem with a male teacher bullying students and the principal will not help.

Marvin Elementary School 1

Posted February 16, 2013
We're not happy with this school at all. My child attends kindergarten and we had a bullying problem, they did nothing to help my child. The teacher allowed boys to bully my son and the principal is condescending and refused to notify the parents of their childs' wrong doings. We are looking at better schools for 1st grade.

Marvin Elementary School
5720 Brunswick Avenue, San Diego, CA  92120-1905
Last modified Marvin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.