No rating

Horizon Christian Academy

Private | K-12

Student diversity

Living in San Diego

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $350,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,440.

Sweep tile

Posted March 3, 2014

I have had a daughter attend the elementary school (and later Jr. High/High School) from kindergarten on up. I am so grateful for the wonderful teachers, staff, and most of all spiritual guidance she received. My son, now in first grade, is also in the elementary school.. He has a fiery personality but with the structure of the classroom, and kindness of the teachers, he has really thrived. I love the balance of respect and fun that is instilled in the kids at this school.

Posted March 3, 2014

What can i say, small class size, great teachers, fair price, and amazing afterschool program all are reasons i make the 20 minute drive from my home to take my 6 year old there!!

Posted February 28, 2014

My son has been going to HCA since K, now he's in 1st Grade. We cant thank the faculty & staff enough for their dedication & kindness to our kids. Shoutout to Ms Kieger & Mrs Files for nurturing our wiggly fireball. We like their curriculum, after school program, enrichment classes, TrailLife USA program, & the family culture. Godwilling, we pray to keep our son at Horizon schools through High School.

Posted February 28, 2014

Our son has been attending HCA since preschool and we love it. The staff is great. Our son is getting a great education in environment filled with God.

Posted February 28, 2014

I love this school for the reasonable rates, great teachers, small class sizes, and centering on Christ.

Posted February 28, 2014

As an elementary school teacher I was extremely picky in choosing a school for my children. I had heard that the curriculum this school used about five years ago wasn t great so I spent much time looking through their curriculum and asking questions about the way they teach. I am extremely impressed with their current curriculum and the added fun they supplement to the daily teaching. The kids at this school are WAY ahead of their public school peers. And, even better, my children LOVE learning and enjoy school! Class size is aprox 15-21 per class with 2 classes per grade level. In my professional opinion, this school does everything well-- academics, extras (art, computer, music, P.E., daily Spanish, etc.), & has a wonderful loving environment. I also appreciate that they have a Power-Learning-Program for struggling students as well as though who excel above their peers at grade level. This school is a gem! I really encourage anyone considering it to tour it and ask to sit in on a class. The colorful classrooms, large playground, and friendly faces will ensure you don't regret your visit! This is a great elementary school- wish they were all this good!

Posted February 28, 2014

My daughter has been at this school for 3 years. Awesome school. I love it and she loves it as well. It is the best value for private school in San Diego. The teachers are committed, caring and wonderful. The school is focused on reading, writing and math but my daughter also has Spanish, music and p.e. All included by the way. I know that my daughter is learning to be a good student but she is also learning to become a "good citizen". They are consistently encouraged to be kind, giving, inclusive and forgiving. She is learning so much everyday. They also have the best before and after school program called HYP. It is affordable and is on campus. My daughter loves being there and wants to be there. HYP also offers summer camp and care on all "no school" days.

Posted February 28, 2014

This is not only an amazing school, it is a family. They take care of those in need and care about the entire child-intellectual, spiritual, social and emotional. And the academics are well thought out and far ahead many other schools. We love it!

Posted February 28, 2014

I love that my children can attend a school where they receive an excellent education! I chose HCA because the morals and values exhibited by the teaching staff, leadership of the school and other students and teachers echo those that my children are learning in my home. We have sacrificed a lot to send our children to a private, Christian school, and will continue to do so. We are making an investment in our children, their future and the future of our country!

Posted February 18, 2014

My child has been a student at Horizon since Pre-school. She will be finishing 5th grade and I am looking forward to many more years at Horizon. The teachers are loving and kind, but yet firm when they need to be, such as zero tolerance for bulling or any mean behavior. They teach compassion and respect for others. The class size of 15-17 is ideal. I love that they offer many enrichment classes, Spanish, choir, band, art, sports, cheer, just to name a few. The staff is always willing to be available if needed and the parent involvement is wonderful. I know when my child is there, she is safe and happy

Posted February 18, 2014

As a faculty member I could not be more blessed. The community cultivated at Horizon is so genuine. I love the other teachers who work alongside me and I know they work so hard for their students. The school truly places God as Lord over the school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 14, 2014

My daughter has attended Horizon elementary school for the past three years. She is thriving in both academics and behavior. I am not a Christian person who goes to church on more that Christmas and Easter. My husband and I were raised as non-church going Catholics and Christians and do not consider ourselves "very religious." So when we were looking at kindergartens originally, we were not looking for a Christian school. I happened to have two friends whose children attend Horizon. Their kids are so bright, well spoken, and well behaved that I checked out Horizon. Living in Clairemont, I felt my best options were choicing in to another public school or private school. Horizon is affordable. We pay less monthly than we did for daycare. The teachers are experienced, wonderful, and know each child so well. The principle is even involved and knows the children as well. The school size is perfect- it is not too small yet not so large that your child can get lost in the masses. Besides the excellent academic program, the children are learning about God and Jesus, and how to be a good person.

Posted February 12, 2014

My husband and I wanted our son to be in a school that provided him a good education and encouraged him to be a healthy, happy and caring person. HCA has gone beyond our expectations. Our kindergartner is reading, writing, and teaching us about biblical teachings that he is learning which are guiding him to be an exceptional young man. He is taught by caring teachers who know how to balance discipline and encouragement. We could not be more happy with our decision to send our boy to HCA. I couldn't imagine sending him anywhere else.

Posted February 11, 2014

The Teachers are Great, and my Daughter Loves Going to This School! The Other Parents are great and love the Values!

Posted February 8, 2014

WOW! What a positive change Horizon has cultivated in my daughter! We came to Horizon after my daughter finished kindergarten at a public school. Though she was moved up, my daughter was going into first grade without mastering the academic basics. Horizon gave us the option to have her repeat kindergarten or go into the first grade with the knowledge that she would have a lot of catching up to do. My husband and I decided to have her go forward into the first grade. I am so glad we did. HCA gave us tools to help my daughter. But most importantly, is my daughter s outstanding teacher. She just has a way of teaching my daughter and the class with structure, but makes it fun to learn. My daughter is simply thriving at HCA. My husband and I are so thrilled of the amazing progress my daughter has made. Many thanks Horizon Academy for your care and encouragement for our family and especially towards my daughter. Our family cannot say enough of how wonderful our Horizon Academy experience has been.

Posted February 6, 2014

My daughter has attended Horizon Christian Academy since Preschool. She is now an HCA Senior and making college plans. The spiritual, social, emotional, and academic experience at Horizon Christian Academy has been a most rewarding, life changing experience for our daughter as well as our family. We love Horizon Christian Fellowship and Schools and are so thankful for coming alongside our family - all these years - being a part of lives - and coming alongside to help shape the Godly young woman our daughter has become! Thank you Horizon Staff and Church for your hearts and ministries that serve tirelessy and selflessly to better your Church Family, our Community and those we come into contact with on a daily basis! Thank you MacIntosh Family for answering God's call to serve all these years in San Diego County and abroad! We love you! :)

Posted February 6, 2014

My 4 children have each attended Horizon Christian Academy since Preschool. Currently we have one in Elementary, Junior High, High School and a recent graduate. We love the teachers and the caring environment. The students have a wonderful bond with their teachers and each other. It has always felt like a family to us. I love that I can be a parent helper in each of my children's elementary classes and my opinions are heard and respected. Although these are tough economic times, the Lord has provided a way to afford the school each year. Our children have made it clear to us that they do not want to go anywhere else. They have never been put down or bullied and are confident in their walk with the Lord.

Posted February 6, 2014

The education my children are receiving at Horizon Christian Academy is more than my wife and I hoped for. Our daughter is in 1st grade and our son is in Junior Kindergarten. They both attended the preschool at the main campus prior to attending the elementary school. For us, the most important thing at there age is that they are in a community where he focus is on developing their spiritual life. It was glaringly obvious from the moment we met with Carrie DeMoll during out daughter's application process that this is the #1 priority at HCA. As a concerned parent, who wants them to embrace a faith that is more and more shunned in out society, it is a comfort to know that I have a community where they are spiritually fed and safe. In addition, academically, our children have thrived. Both of our children continually amaze us with the level of reading, math, and reasoning skills they have acquired at such a young age, certainly levels I don't remember attaining at such a young age. Having been fortunate enough to be a parent helper in every class to date, it's clear that this is because of the dedication the teachers have to the children and their academic growth.

Posted February 5, 2014

My son is currently enrolled in kindergarten (2013-2014). I love the personalized attention he receives. The teachers really seem to care and I love the family atmosphere. Everyone seems to know everyone, and it makes me feel better knowing my son won't get "lost in the crowd". The principal is extremely involved and knows most of the parents and children by name. Not only is the school committed to its Christian principles, but the academics instilled are far above what I expected. There really is a focus on preparing the students academically and compared to other schools, I personally believe the school is "ahead of the game".

Posted February 4, 2014

HCA has provided a tremendous foundation for both of our kids! The faculty and administration are absolutely committed to superior-quality education with a Christian worldview, and an emphasis on supporting families to nurture and raise their children in a Christ-centered environment. My daughter attended preschool through high school and was more than prepared to excel in college, graduating this spring with a double-major! HCA equips in every way!

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Calvinist
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (858) 490-5005

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious