Scripps Montessori School

Private | PK-6

Living in San Diego

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $525,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,070.

Sweep tile

Posted March 26, 2014

Our son started at Scripps Montessori when he was four. We were so happy with the school that we decided to keep him there for Kindergarten. Our son enjoys his classmates and teachers and loves going to school everyday. He is reading at a second or third grade level and is working on work that I believe most second graders would be doing. The school is small so it has much more of a family feeling rather than what you might find at a larger school. All the teachers genuinely love the students and work very hard to ensure each child's success. I would highly recommend Scripps Montessori school for anyone looking to enroll their child in a Montessori education.

Posted December 8, 2013

Scripps Montessori school provides an excellent education for my son. He loves going to school every day. The teachers are very involved and provide great feedback on a regular basis. Scripps Montessori school offers a variety of after school activities like Spanish and Chinese classes, athletics, cooking, and music.

Posted July 11, 2013

SMS is an excellent true community oriented Montessori school my 3 kids aged 2 ,7, & 9 thoroughly enjoyed & progressed in. My kids feel at home here with the children, teachers, & the Directress who is so kind & welcoming. The Directress went of her way to make sure all their academic & social needs were being met. My kids had 4 science classes a wk compared to barely 1 every 2-3 wks at their previous award winning Poway school. Their writing increased dramatically as they did it daily..not summaries but critical thinking. Mr. Tom, went out of his way to provide challenging math for my oldest as she was at a level beyond what was being taught. The Catalina experience was a true bonus to their science experience and something my son still talks about. The volume of work done in the classroom was 4x what they did at public school & little homework. My kids loved learning spanish, knitting, true art instruction..no volunteer, & cooking. My baby started fall 2012. Her teachers were very nurturing & patient... we were so impressed at the teacher conference b/c her teachers know her so well & she was evaluated on & mastered 3 pages of skills! She can't wait for school to start again!

Posted May 29, 2013

My son has attended this school for two years now after attending another popular day care in the area that he hated. (I think it was too chaotic.) He began reading at 4 without pressure from teachers or parents and can do my first graders addition homework. The teachers are loving and gentle. When my son had a medical issue and had to stay home for a few days, they emailed to check on him and called as well. When have you heard of that happening? The director will listen to any concerns you may have and respond quickly and efficiently. At another preschool my older child attended my child was bitten repeatedly and I was told, "well, that's kids." That will not happen here. I read another review that said they showed movies to the kids. During the whole time we've been at this school I have never seen a movie nor a TV show played in a classroom. In fact the only TV I am aware of is in the teacher's lounge. My child loves the healthy hot lunches and the backyard playground. You will LOVE this school!

Posted August 24, 2012

Our daughter started the toddler program and Scripps Montessori School in early 2012 and we could not be happier with the school. Every time we go to the school we are impressed with how friendly everyone is, starting at the top from the directress, to the teachers, to the aids, and to the children. Our daughter looks forward to going to school every day and is disappointed that she cannot go to school on the weekends. Since starting school we have seen our daughter s vocabulary and abilities grow. She is rapidly becoming independent. We strongly recommend Scripps Montessori School for other children.

Posted June 10, 2012

Our daughter (now 3-1/2) has attended Scripps Montessori for 2 years. We could not be happier with our experience at Scripps. I initially chose Scripps (after comparing it to a number of other preschools) in part because of the warm and inviting feeling we got during our visit. The teachers are wonderful, as is the school's director. Our daughter has been in two classrooms (Tree House when she first started as a little one and now the Sunroom) and she has LOVED all of her teachers. As a mom, I have found everyone to be supportive, patient, and kind. They have helped nurture our daughter's independence and confidence, while also supporting her budding academic skills. We feel very lucky to have found this school:).

Posted May 14, 2012

Our son is about to complete his 2nd year at the school and there was not one day he would rather stay at home than go to Scripps Montessori. We are extremely happy with the school environment, the attention of the staff to students and the general atmosphere of both the classes and daycare. Every time we walk into the school we are impressed with how friendly the feeling is - between the teachers and the kids, the teachers and the parents and among the kids. Our son has made tons of friends and has been exceeding our expectations in development - from getting potty trained within weeks of starting the school at the age of 2 to starting to read two years later (not that there is pressure to read and count - he just picked it up at his own pace). The most impressive of all is for us to see him functioning as a complete person - seeing his emotional and physical development in addition to the "measurable" progress like math and reading. We will have our 2nd child attend the school when the time is right without a second of hesitation. Highly recommend the school!

Posted April 8, 2012

Our daughter has attended Scripps Montessori for two years and she is absolutely thriving. She loves all of her teachers and Directress, and loves the fact that she has such caring and responsive adults around her. On the academic side of things, it is thrilling to see her increasingly inspired by her classroom work and fascinated with learning about the world around her. She takes a healthy pride in the great strides she s making in school, and my husband and I can see how satisfying it is for her to learn and develop at her own pace, rather than being subjected to the lowest-common-denominator approach many times used in the public schools. In addition, our daughter is always looking forward to the next adventure that is, always looking forward to the unique and varied real-world learning opportunities her and her classmates get to experience on a regular basis. Great job, Scripps Montessori! Two thumbs up!

Posted February 10, 2012

This is the second year for our daughter in Scripps Montessori School. She started there when hse was three. And to our amazement she started reading after 4 months. Now she is also good in writing and addition tables. Ms.Ada really understands her very well and adheres to her needs. Also my daughter was a poor eater, with Ms.Ada's continuous effort in teaching her to respect her food, she has improved a lot. Ms.Ada makes her to sit and finish lunch even after lunch time. For a four year old to come back from school and talk about Planets, Continients, Countries in various continents, Banking stuff was very amazing for us as parents. Also our son is also there in elementary classroom this year, We moved him from public school system to Scripps Montessori when we saw how our daughter was performing. Also we feel very safe at heart when we drop the kids at school in the morning. Even though my son came from public school system he got very adjusted to the montessori classroom, because of the constant guidelines from his teachers.Also the Principal Ms.Ciara is always reachable with any issues we have. She is more friendly to the kids too. We are very happy here.

Posted February 7, 2012

My children have been attending Scripps Montessori School since they were three years old. The school provides a nurturing, academic Montessori environment. Both children were reading by kindergarten. I can see that my children are developing confidence in themselves and respect for others. They have learned to work independently, with focus. There has not been a day that they did not want to go to school. They love their teachers. The administrator, Ciara Concepcion, is professional, warm, and kind. The elementary students just had an international week where students gave impressive presentations about their heritage. Last year, there was an international dance recital where all students participated. For grades 2 and higher, there is an annual school trip to Catalina Island where children are taught by a marine biologist. Tom Newton teaches elementary and understands each child. I have appreciated his suggestions. Parental involvement is high. They encourage healthy food. Before I knew better, I packed candy for dessert and Ms. Ada sent it back! The teachers are bilingual. I would like to see Spanish more formally incorporated into the daily curriculum.

Posted February 3, 2012

We started our 2 year old during the summer and have had a great experience with the school. The staff is very open and approachable. The facility is beautiful, clean and organized. Best of all, our daughter loves it.

Posted October 18, 2011

Our 4 1/2 year old son has been attending Scripps since June 2010. Prior to that, he was in a private day-care with one other child. We are extremely pleased with his experience at this school. He seems to be maturing wonderfully and learning and developing new skills continually. We are very happy with his progress. I think the teachers are very knowledgeable, thoughtful, caring and respectful of the children. The Directress is outstanding! She is always available for my questions, concerns and comments whether by email or phone. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the school. Our son seems very happy there and seems to be thriving. The only negatives I have found are relatively minor: sometimes they are late in starting their drop-off line in the morning (particularly during the summer) and the lunches could be healthier.

Posted October 16, 2011

As a first-time mother who works from home, I needed to send my 21-month-old to school for the first time in 2010. I was nervous about the idea of her being away from me in a new environment, but the staff at Scripps Montessori School was more than compassionate, accommodating and helpful. They worked with me on the transition and continue to understand what it means to be a new parent, and I appreciate this tremendously. In addition, the school's curriculum and programs are outstanding. My daughter has grown socially, academically and physically through the carefully selected materials and Montessori approach. She has developed into a accomplished little lady in less than a year with the assistance of the high-caliber staff at this school. I am so pleased that I found this school and would recommend it to any parent looking for a quality experience for their little one.

Posted May 13, 2011

Our daughter will be completing her second year at SMS and we couldn't be more proud. She has blossomed socially and academically under the guidance of Ms. Erika and is now reading chapter books and doing simple addition. She has also taken part in the extracurricular dance/tap classes offered at the site. The Directress is experienced and very hands on with the day-to-day operations of the school. There is a sense of community and all children enter and leave the school happy.

Posted March 15, 2011

I just cannot say enough great things about this school. Here are a few that top my list. The communication with the teachers and staff is outstanding and helpful. They always have great suggestions to help correct unwanted behaviors. This has been a huge help for us. Anytime I need to talk to the staff, they are more than willing to make the time to discuss any questions and concerns. I know that my children respect their teachers because they never want us to tell the teachers if they are misbehaving at home. The flexibility of the after school daycare program is very convenient and affordable. They offer the Chick Peas Lunch program- a local organic, fresh, healthy and affordable lunch that my kids love. Most of the teachers speak Spanish, and that has made my children excited about learning Spanish. My daughter has been in the Spanish class now since Sept. 2010 and loves it. My children love the friends that they have made here and because the school is so multicultural they have learned about different cultures and get excited about telling us. My husband loves how advanced our kids are compared to others their age. A true testament to the Montessori system.

Posted March 14, 2011

Well it s decided. Scripps Montessori is the best of the best. We toured many schools looking for what we believed to be the best for our children (ages 2 & 5) and this school hands down surpassed even the High and Mighty in town. We attended the Elementary School Open House last month and it was amazing. The presentations that these young children did had my daughter begging to attend this school. I love the diversity of the students and the unrivaled lesson plans and materials that the Montessori system offers. We met some of the parents whose children attend SMS and all had raving reviews for the school, the staff and the extra curricular activities offered including Spanish, dance and sports. We made our commitment for the upcoming year and I can not wait. If you are looking for a new school and have not checked this school out yet please do. It is well worth your time.

Posted February 24, 2011

This is our first year at Scripps Montessori School and we love it! The director met our daughter and placed her in a classroom that she would thrive in. Our daughter can be quite mischievous and we were having problems with her listening to us at home. Her teachers have a firm, but loving and calm approach. For the first month or so, our daughter was getting into things and doing things that she wasn't supposed to nearly every day. The teacher spoke to her and occasionally would make her sit and think about her actions. Despite that, she loved coming to school every day and actually would look forward to Monday mornings! She's a much better listener at school and at home now. As a parent, I feel like I'm in a very good partnership with her teachers as we both have honest communication with each other and work together to teach her to become a good listener and a kind person. She still has her mischievous streak in her, but she seems to understand the consequences better and getting her to listen isn't the big fight that it used to be.

Posted September 25, 2010

Review on September 22nd, I absolutely agree. Beautiful facility, friendly staff members,extremely clean etc... To the review on July 29: How sad to read this. I would like to clarify some of these issues that are unjust, and as a parent of a student at this school make me angry. Birthdays are such an important day in our childs lives. Is it so wrong that they can chose the treat they would ike to share with their classmates? I think not. As many of you parents will agree, our children seem to attend parties every other weekend. i have yet to go to a birthday party that hasn't had a cake or some kind of treat. A bill is a bill, I really don't care how I receive it. Bullying? A teacher on maternity leave????? Thank you SMS for the dedication you show to our children every day.

Posted September 22, 2010

This is really a great school. We shopped around for quite a while before picking this one. Just visiting the school shows a stark difference from others. The students are well behaved, engaged, and active. It's a great environment for any child. The children going here are also diverse. With children from all backgrounds. As a parent of a mixed child, this was important to us. Within a couple of weeks, we already noticed significant improvements in our child's behavior. Highly recommend.

Posted July 29, 2010

Sadly we had a very bad experience at this school this past year in many aspects. There was a general lack of communication with parents, beginning with a belated list of necessary school supplies not being given to us until the Friday before school started, identity of our child's teachers not being disclosed, a switch of teachers mid-term not being disclosed, no nutritional lunch guidelines (junk food and sugary snacks allowed), frequent parties with more sugary snacks, less than optimal supervision on the playground and classroom resulting in rampant bullying of other students, at least one teacher not being in touch with the needs of the students, general chaos in the classroom, lack of teacher supervision of children on fieldtrips, the list goes on. From a business standpoint, it also leaves much to be desired. Monthly "invoices" are labels placed on some handout brought home by kids. Do not recommend.

Ethnicity This school
Black 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMI

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori