PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

My daughter attended SMS from age 2 through Kindergaten. The teachers were phenomenal. They were patient, flexible and caring. There was a cooperative feeling, with the teachers, children, parents and admin. If we had not moved, both children would have attended though 6th. Montessori philosophy aside, I could not have designed a better school or gathered such an awesome staff.

Our family has had a very positive experience at Scripps Montessori School. My son began attending at 20 months while I attended training at the Montessori Institute of San Diego. Last month he turned 3 and a few weeks ago transitioned to a primary classroom. The materials are beautiful and the teachers and staff are warm and friendly. The atmosphere at this school strikes a perfect balance between a strong focus on curriculum and a family environment. Prior to my training, this is the only school I toured, and I did not need to look any further. We felt like part of a family from Day 1. The administrator, Ms. Ciara, has been so good to our family!

We love Scripps Montessori! My 3 children never fuss about going to school. They're just upset when the week is ending and they have two days away from their teachers and school friends. The Montessori philosophy is suitable for each of the kids, even though they are each so different in personality and motivation. This school seems to bring out the best in all of them! We all love the staff, especially the director, Ms. Ciara. It's been a wonderful experience!

Our kids LOVE this school (and as a result, so do we)! What impressed us from the start was the commitment from the staff. They have been with the school a long time, which gives the entire place a family feel. Our kids' classroom teachers invest the time to make them feel special - from challenging them with work they are ready to tackle (and giving them confidence that they can handle the next step) to giving them extra care to help with a bad day (my 3 year old came home delighted with a special hairstyle that her teacher gave her after she had a tough time napping. After two years in private school, we recently transitioned our 7-year-old to Scripps Montessori as well. While she has always loved school, it has been a step change this year. When she comes home from school and we ask about the highlights of her day, she has dozens. The grins betray how much she enjoys her day there. It is helpful to see real progress each week as her work comes home. I have been particularly pleased to see her facing new challenges the moment she masters work - she's thriving on that as well! We can't say enough great things about the school.

Our son started at Scripps Montessori when he was four. We were so happy with the school that we decided to keep him there for Kindergarten. Our son enjoys his classmates and teachers and loves going to school everyday. He is reading at a second or third grade level and is working on work that I believe most second graders would be doing. The school is small so it has much more of a family feeling rather than what you might find at a larger school. All the teachers genuinely love the students and work very hard to ensure each child's success. I would highly recommend Scripps Montessori school for anyone looking to enroll their child in a Montessori education.

Scripps Montessori school provides an excellent education for my son. He loves going to school every day. The teachers are very involved and provide great feedback on a regular basis. Scripps Montessori school offers a variety of after school activities like Spanish and Chinese classes, athletics, cooking, and music.

SMS is an excellent true community oriented Montessori school my 3 kids aged 2 ,7, & 9 thoroughly enjoyed & progressed in. My kids feel at home here with the children, teachers, & the Directress who is so kind & welcoming. The Directress went of her way to make sure all their academic & social needs were being met. My kids had 4 science classes a wk compared to barely 1 every 2-3 wks at their previous award winning Poway school. Their writing increased dramatically as they did it daily..not summaries but critical thinking. Mr. Tom, went out of his way to provide challenging math for my oldest as she was at a level beyond what was being taught. The Catalina experience was a true bonus to their science experience and something my son still talks about. The volume of work done in the classroom was 4x what they did at public school & little homework. My kids loved learning spanish, knitting, true art instruction..no volunteer, & cooking. My baby started fall 2012. Her teachers were very nurturing & patient... we were so impressed at the teacher conference b/c her teachers know her so well & she was evaluated on & mastered 3 pages of skills! She can't wait for school to start again!

My son has attended this school for two years now after attending another popular day care in the area that he hated. (I think it was too chaotic.) He began reading at 4 without pressure from teachers or parents and can do my first graders addition homework. The teachers are loving and gentle. When my son had a medical issue and had to stay home for a few days, they emailed to check on him and called as well. When have you heard of that happening? The director will listen to any concerns you may have and respond quickly and efficiently. At another preschool my older child attended my child was bitten repeatedly and I was told, "well, that's kids." That will not happen here. I read another review that said they showed movies to the kids. During the whole time we've been at this school I have never seen a movie nor a TV show played in a classroom. In fact the only TV I am aware of is in the teacher's lounge. My child loves the healthy hot lunches and the backyard playground. You will LOVE this school!

Our daughter (now 3-1/2) has attended Scripps Montessori for 2 years. We could not be happier with our experience at Scripps. I initially chose Scripps (after comparing it to a number of other preschools) in part because of the warm and inviting feeling we got during our visit. The teachers are wonderful, as is the school's director. Our daughter has been in two classrooms (Tree House when she first started as a little one and now the Sunroom) and she has LOVED all of her teachers. As a mom, I have found everyone to be supportive, patient, and kind. They have helped nurture our daughter's independence and confidence, while also supporting her budding academic skills. We feel very lucky to have found this school:).

Our son is about to complete his 2nd year at the school and there was not one day he would rather stay at home than go to Scripps Montessori. We are extremely happy with the school environment, the attention of the staff to students and the general atmosphere of both the classes and daycare. Every time we walk into the school we are impressed with how friendly the feeling is - between the teachers and the kids, the teachers and the parents and among the kids. Our son has made tons of friends and has been exceeding our expectations in development - from getting potty trained within weeks of starting the school at the age of 2 to starting to read two years later (not that there is pressure to read and count - he just picked it up at his own pace). The most impressive of all is for us to see him functioning as a complete person - seeing his emotional and physical development in addition to the "measurable" progress like math and reading. We will have our 2nd child attend the school when the time is right without a second of hesitation. Highly recommend the school!

Last modified Scripps Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-3