Posted June 27, 2014
My daughter just completed her first year at KMS. Second grade. We were previously in a lovely, fancy private school for JK, then in a Spanish Immersion, public school for K and 1st. We have tried the spectrum. KMS has been extraordinary for us. I personally love the passion for science AND art, writing, performing arts. At last, I see true project-based learning; I see a school seriously and successfully help children grow in their social interactions, personal responsibility and genuine respect and kindness for others. The proof in the pudding isn't just current parents like me who are impressed today; the true proof is the graduates (I know half a dozen) who share a hard-to-define feeling that they are centered, comfortable in their skin, look you in the eye confidently and thoughtfully - hard to describe. It's what we all want to see in our children. Emilio Reggio based. Brilliant, giving, caring teachers and admins. Gorgeous space, science room, full commercial kitchen (yes for children's use), garden, dance studio, playground, and dirt mountain. This is NOT for social climbers; definitely don't come here to train your child to take tests. Come here to see them bloom.

Posted March 21, 2014
We are now 5 years at Katherine Michiels School. I have two sons there and we started in Kindergarten with my oldest son. They negatives of the school, when we started were communication issues with administration and a constant turnover of directors. Which resulted in inconsistencies and mismanagement. They have steadily been working on these issues and feel that it has vastly improved. They positives of the school, small project based school with great success in social education. They have personally supported my family when my youngest son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. They stepped up to the plate to support him and manage his diabetes while he is at school. They had never had a case of Type 1 and I personally trained personnel, teachers and a director to understand and manage the diabetes. I am a registered nurse and utilized a diabetes educator for training. So if you are looking for this kind of support KMS is the place.

Posted March 03, 2014
We've been at KMS for over four years and our kids love the school. Our son went through the preschool and pre-K programs and is now at public kindergarten. He's doing great and the natural curiosity for learning he developed at KMS seems to have prepared him well for his kindergarten experience. Our daughter is in the preschool program and will be starting pre-K later this year. She's happy, inquisitive, playful and seems to have an all-around great time at school. She's also learning. She's started writing the letters of the alphabet, is doing basic math and brings home armloads of art projects every week. We think our kids have thrived in the self-directed learning environment the school works hard to create. If what you're looking for structure and rigor this probably isn't the place for you (it's a safe bet they'll come home covered in paint or dirt at least a couple times a week). If instead you're looking a place where your kid can be a kid and learn to learn in their own way then you'll probably be happy at KMS.

Posted January 20, 2014
We have two children here, one in Kindergarten and one in preschool. We are very happy with KMS. The children want to go everyday, and my wife and I love the community . I am particularly happy with the science class that is conducted in the after care program. My son actually asked to do science, and having seen one of the classes I know it is because they make science (and learning) fun.

Katherine Michiels School 3

Posted January 18, 2014
Our daughter went to KMS kindergarten last year. The bottom line of our experience at KMS was that it is good for some people, but definitely not for everyone. The building is beautiful, the place is very well organized and the kids are overall very nice. However, there are a number of issues people should be aware of. Administration at KMS, and especially everything that involves payments, is extremely unpleasant. Strict rules and fines give a very bad feeling, while there is in addition strong pressure to give more. It is also extremely difficult to interact with the teachers, both because they are always too busy, and because they seem not to think it is a part of their job to interact with parents. Parent meetings are not personal but are rather social events. Lastly, out daughter learnt very little at KMS. The kids mostly play freely with no guidance, and also experience with gardening and artwork, but are taught extremely little. Since our daughter is smart and likes to learn (basic reading, writing, numbers, history, etc.), we feel it was a bit of a waste of time for her.

Katherine Michiels School 2

Posted June 05, 2013
.The teachers are great and the only reason to go. The school administration's communication will drive you nuts. No PTA/PTO and the school discourages parents organizing by not supporting them in any way. The guy that runs the place is very brusque to the point of rudeness. My main concern has been safety since the facility is older and it seems like maintenance has been defrayed. For a smaller child this seems potentially dangerous.

Posted May 13, 2013
Our family loved this little school and remember it with love. That is the best you can say for a preschool. Good summer program too.

Posted February 21, 2011
Great school and a perfect environment -- our daughter loves being there. Thank you for having such a unique place. Great academics and a wonderful way to learn.

Posted December 02, 2010
The curriculum is great but the facilities are really old... this school is very expensive and for the price you would expect a nice classroom. However, kindergarten kids are in a basement with no natural light and old furniture. The teachers are great though. My child loves his class.

Posted June 15, 2010
KMS is an excellent school - really magical for kids to learn and grow. My daughter really enjoys going there and loves it. They have a great Art, Spanish, Dance and study program. The teachers are excellent and work very hard at creating team work and making them work together. I would highly recommend it. Also, the vegan lunch program is very healthy and reasonably priced. The school house is very beautiful and charming. We are going to miss being there.

Contact Information

1335 Guerrero Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

School website

Katherine Michiels School
1335 Guerrero Street, San Francisco, CA  94110
Last modified Katherine Michiels School is a private school that serves grades PK-5
Katherine Michiels School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews.