Creative Arts Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 366 students

We are best known for our joyful learning community.

Sweep tile

Posted October 2, 2008

Both of my children started at CACS this September and it has gone beyond our expectations. The project-based learnign is such a blessing for my 1st and third grader who, previously, spent so much time on standardized thest they had lost the excitement and the creative spark that should come with education. The teachers, families and staff have all chosen this school and share its philosophy, which creates a porsitive atmosphere. The responsive classroom means that kids are learning to communicate with each other as well as being academically challenged. We feel very lucky.

Posted October 1, 2008

This my child's first year here and he loves it!! CACS has provided an environment for my son where he can be a child and have fun while learning. My child transferred to CACS from a Private School but this school has more parent and teacher involvement. I'm glad that I looked into this school....

Posted September 25, 2008

We really wanted to like this school. But it's just not a safe atmosphere. The interim director does not appropriately handle parent complaints. If your child isn't getting bullied, you probably will do fine. However, if your child is picked on, the administration would rather see you leave than work on a creative solution.

Posted September 25, 2008

Although there are many things to like about CACS, we withdrew our child from during the 2007/2008 school year. His classroom was chaotic, and the teacher oblivious to inappropriate behavior. There was inadequate supervision on the playground and in the aftercare program as well. When we raised concerns, we were alarmed by the response we got from administrators and sadly left a community we had come to love. Our child still thinks of school as unsafe.

Posted September 23, 2008

Our Kindergartener just started at CACS and we couldn't be more pleased. Her teacher is a dedicated professional who is adored by the whole class (including the parents). From the moment we set foot at CACS we felt embraced and welcomed by the entire community. The small, cozy environment fosters a 'family' feeling with the middle schoolers looking out for the younger kids. Our creative daughter is thriving here with weekly offerings of visual art, dance and music. The school fosters a love of books and reading and has amazing resources and a wonderful hands-on learning philosophy. Not only that, but throw in a fun aftercare program (karate, clay, mandarin, dance, sports) and the school is a true gem.

Posted September 8, 2008

I'm the parent of a 3rd grader at CACS. We've been there since kindergarten and have loved it. Our son has developed a passion for reading and math at CACS. The care and attention he and the rest of the kids receive is exceptional. The arts-focused, project-based learning is such a gift. The arts program, with a heavy emphasis in music, art, and dance/theatre, and the dedication of the staff to the development of each student, has been great. Since we've been at CACS, there's been a high level of constant improvement and a great deal of attention to reviewing and modifying programs as needed. Take a tour and see for yourself.

Posted July 4, 2008

all three of my children go to this school and they love it if you think this school is bad you don't know what you're talking about

Posted November 9, 2007

Creative Arts offers the best in alternative education. My kindergartener has a PE teacher, an art teacher, a music teacher, and a dance teacher enriching his regular classroom activities every week. The co-op atmosphere makes for a tight-knit and friendly community. This school has a private school curriculum and resources for no fee. We love it and could not be happier here.

Posted October 19, 2007

This school sounds great on paper, but make sure to really visit it and figure out if your kid will fit into it's approach. I realize quickly that my child needs more structure in an educational program. This school promises to be great, but the attitude of the administration and faculty is alarming.

Posted September 23, 2007

My daughter started Kindergarten at Creative Arts this year and so far it is everything that I had hoped for in a school, and more. Her teacher is dynamic, engaged, and open minded. Her friends are a diverse group. The class parents are all friendly and invested in seeing the school thrive. And last, but not least, the focus on the arts is truly wonderful. In this day and age, where 'school success' is defined solely academically I'm thrilled to have been able to find a school that I believe will nurture my whole child, not just her brain.

Posted September 19, 2007

Overall, my family is extrremely happy with this school. My older daughter used to often complain of stomache aches and would find reasons to stay home but after we transferred to CACS she really wants to go to school seven days a week. The school has a ways to go in the area of academics but because I feel that the community at CACS supports good social values I feel that I can supplement the academics with family study time and reading time. The addition of the asssitant administrator , Liz, last year was a great decision. She will be able to focus more on improving the overall curriculum and she seems really dedicated to that process.

Posted June 12, 2007

CACS has a great resource specialist and as my child has special needs, I will keep her at CACS. However, be warned, the school has a high teacher attrition rate which affects morale and interrupts learning. The lower grades are fun and the younger children are happy and so parents of children in the lower grades are happy. Lack of strong academics is a problem.

Posted March 27, 2007

Take a tour of this school and look at the amazing mosaic mural created last year by the students of all grades. This is one example of the art produced by these kids. I came to this school because an SF magnet school couldn't provide for the special needs of my son entering Kindergarten. He is now in third grade and we stay in this overpriced City because of this school. The Director, Mr. Good, sends his children to this school, as have many of the teachers and administrative staff. The school serves a diverse community and each year the academic scores have improved, garnering accolades from various authorities. Kids go on to attend Lowell, University, SOTA, among others. My son attends music, dance, and art classes each week here and the teachers are excellent at engaging students in learning projects. Parent participation is required, but it is worth it.

Posted February 15, 2007

CACS is a very small school. This school has a real safety issue which cause for the children to have to use a passcode to get on school grounds. This school is located right in the heart of the Western Addition. Beware! This school is not at all what it cracks up to be. I know from experience. The Principal however is doing his best with what he has been dished out and the children are his first concern.

Posted February 3, 2007

This is a great school. It is a small K-8 program. It has small class size and good parent participation. This means each child get needed attention from the Teachers, Principal, Vice-Principal and the involved parents whom volunteer in the school.I will also mention that this school offers Dance, Music and Theater and Visual Arts and a well rounded project based curriculum. My children are always excited to go to school and hate missing school when they are sick. Again all this is possible due to parent involvement in fudrasing and teaching support. There are after school sports and P.E. classes for 5th-8th grade.

Posted February 1, 2007

I am in love with this school. My daughter started in january 2006 having come from a very trauamtizing learning experience. She was very creative and, smart and easily bored. Cacs is a school where she has thrived and excelled. Since my daughter has started at this school a resounding thought rings true; you must truly take the time out to research and choose a school that is a good match for your child's learning and socially developing style/needs. Not just what is convenient, or what you think your child needs, but what kind of environment they can thrive and succeed in.While I admit this learning environment may not be for some this school has been a perfect macth for my child. It's clear to me that the staff cares for my child and the rest of the children there and work well with a diverse group of students.

Posted September 21, 2006

CACS provides the very best combination of a project-based academic curriculum, art, music, and dance programs for all grades, and a strong parent community with active involvement. My 6-year-old is a strong academic performer and told me yesterday he wants to stay at CACS as long as possible. When I asked him why he said, 'I like that it gets harder.' He experiences the differentiated learning first-hand and recognizes that he and several others in his class get extra problems to challenge them. He feels nurtured and challenged. What more could you ask? The teaching staff is young overall, but so is the school. The school is growing and has a waiting list each year. Word is getting around that the charter school model, and CACS in particular, is a successful approach worth driving across town for.

Posted September 18, 2006

Around the time our daughter got accepted at CACS (from the waiting list) we learned that a friend had won some money in a lottery--enough to pay off her mortgage and we were very happy for her. Then we realized that we had won the equivalent to a lottery in getting a place for our child at CACS, a school offering the quality of a private school education without the price tag and the exclusivity that price tag brings. Our high expectations have been met! We love CACS and our daughter is absolutely thriving. The teachers are excellent and the program is well rounded including sports, art, music and dance. She and her friends are learning not just to read, write and do math but to enjoy these subjects. Parents are involved and our community is diverse, engaged and exciting to be a part of. I highly recommend this wonderful school.

Posted May 27, 2006

CACS has developed my son's ability to stand out in the crowd. He loves going to school every day and doesn't want to leave. I believe a child that wants to go to school will learn better. He went to a school before this and di not want to go to school because as he said, 'they never taught me anything new'. The hands on approach and deep understanding of the children's mind shown by his teacher, not to mention her love of the children, opens doors to him I don't think we would have found in a more traditional school. I am happy we made the change and feel he is developing both educationally and socially.

Posted April 12, 2006

I was very impressed with this school. On the outside it seems shabby and old, but you learn very quickly that this is a very hands-on school that has taken over a new school and are transforming it into a fantastic, messy real leaning environment.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students68%

Non-economically disadvantaged76%
Students with no reported disability75%
Fluent-English proficient and English only69%
Parent education - declined to state77%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students38%

Parent education - declined to state69%

Asian 12% 11%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Fernando Aguilar
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 749-3437

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Project-based
  • arts-integrated
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom