Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted August 24, 2016
I am grateful for my son's 6th grade teacher Ms. Mee Joo. She is a special day teacher at Herbert Hoover Middle School. She is an amazing teacher & does an amazing job with her students. She goes above & beyond to communicate, problem solve & set goals with parents & students. Herbert Hoover & her students are very lucky to have such an amazing person as their teacher.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 1

Posted August 24, 2016
The Special Day Class at Hoover is not paid ANY attention to by the administration at this school (principal, vice principal, "case managers", dean). A school that has over 1,000 students should be equipped & staffed to handle Special Needs programs/students if these students are placed at this school. This program lacks many services, supervision & staffing that these students need & should be getting. My son had an AMAZING special needs teacher (Ms. Joo) but the admin at this school does not take this program seriously & is failing the special need students & the teachers of these classes. The principal down plays serious problems & waits for life threatening situations to happen to "make changes" that never even take place. My son was set up to fail at this school. Due to the lack of supervision at the school bus stop, my son was assaulted by another student. The vice principal sent the student home on the school bus with other students after he just assaulted my son. He could have assaulted other students on the school bus which obviously is a safety issue. With over 1,000 kids getting out of school all at the same time, they don't feel the need to have supervision or extra support for the students that REQUIRE additional supervision & support!? I didn't really get any type of concern from the principal until I had to request a meeting with her & the admin there. The whole tone of the meeting & lack of having any resolution or plan by the principal caused me to pull my son out of Hoover. They admitted that the entire situation was not handled correctly & was preventable but didn't really have any solution & seemed clueless on what to do or say. This is really a very SMALL piece of what is wrong with this program at Hoover. There are probably so many other issues & things that have happen to special need students & students in general at Hoover that no one knows about or doesn't speak up about. I feel that parents should know about this experience. I had to quit my job of 5 years to care for my son & home school him. It took over 4 months for my sons black eye to heal but the emotional affects of something that was 100% preventable will take him so much longer to heal from.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted April 04, 2016
There are a couple of parents that put in a lot of work volunteering and trying to make a difference.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted April 04, 2016
Seems like there are so many days that the student has no homework at all. I haven't seen a tough assignment from school yet.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted April 04, 2016
There are some teachers that do not care. They seem like that are just putting in their time before retirement.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted April 04, 2016
Not fair to student when teachers don't try to do a good job teaching. The students are trying to learn and teachers are not setting a example example.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 2

Posted April 04, 2016
My child had a few terrible teachers. Disorganized, uncaring, do not listen. Tried to talk to a teacher about an assignment and teacher just walked away. Spoke to a counselor which said there was nothing they could do. Just terrible.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 5

Posted January 04, 2015
I'm a seventh grader this years and I love Hoover. I am graduating in 2016. Some of the teachers aren't really good, but a bigger majority of the teachers are really good at teaching. The counselors are super nice. Hoover gives you freedom and that's what a kid want but they don't give you too much freedom so it doesn't get out of hand. There are also a lot of sports programs. I'm glad to to be a hawk. Lets Go Hoover Hawks!!!!!!!

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 1

Posted January 07, 2014
I've had two kids in this school and the school continues to change and with each change things are more unstable, unhappy teachers, fights and bullying among studnets with a teacher right there and they won't intervene. It is ok for student to attack another student and the victim is not allow to defend themselves, the bully is not punished and sent to behavioral change classes which doesn't change the bullying. So yeah, this is a very large school and yeah the bullying getting is worst, sometimes the bullying is done by the teachers. So I'm really disgusted right now. Then there's the PTA fund. In 2012-2013 school year, we found out that over $6000 was spent on food and the money didn't go to better the school for the students or staff to provide an better learning environment. This school year 2013-2014, there is almost no parent involvement and the PTA is doing as little as possible. I am sad to see how much this school has changed when my oldest went here to the way it is now. There's no information going home to the parents so even being at the school or talking to other parents who are involved, there is nothing.

Hoover (Herbert) Middle School 4

Posted May 06, 2013
My daughter is about to complete her first year in Spanish immersion at Hoover. The two Spanish-language teachers (Spanish and Social Studies) are new(ish), and there are disciplinary issues that sometimes disrupt class time. I'm unimpressed with her Science teacher, but that hasn't held back her progress. Otherwise, our experience with Hoover has been very good. My daughter loves band and has gotten a lot out of the program. Her English and Math teachers are first rate. One of the reasons we chose Hoover was their adoption of ALEKS, a terrific math software program that adapts to the individual's grasp of the subject matter. I always get prompt response from her teachers when I contact them via Schoolloop. I've been happy with the social aspects as well. There are lots of clubs and sports available, and from day one the student body was welcoming to the incoming sixth graders. I haven't had direct experience with the discipline problems other reviewers mentioned, so I can't speak to that. But I am impressed by the principal's commitment to the school community, and the positive social and anti-bullying sentiment school-wide.

2290 14th Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94116-1841
Last modified Hoover (Herbert) Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.