Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8

Public | K-8 | 600 students

Our school is the only K-8 full dual Spanish Immersion program in the city!

Sweep tile

Posted January 18, 2014

Every school has its strengths and weaknesses. I agree with most reviews written however wanted to tell how segregated the school feels when there is no diversity. We had to sacrifice diversity when choosing a school with only Spanish Immersion. Also my child complains about disruptive kids in class. I've had to try and teach him coping skills to refocus his attention.

Posted September 19, 2013

My son is starting his second year at this spanish-immersion school (last year kinder, now in 1st grade) and we have been very happy. His teachers have been sweet, understanding and effective, and he loves going to school. I am also very impressed with the focus on reading and writing this year, and have seen my son's oral and written language skills improve already. On top of the academic focus, the school has been able to retain a rich arts curriculum including a choral and instrumental music program, and a dance movement program so important for little wigglers. The principal is a caring educational dynamo who seems to know everyone's name and where everyone is at any moment. She is very focused on ensuring the teachers have the best teaching tools in their toolbox and it seems to be making a big difference.

Posted September 15, 2013

My son and third child is beginning his fourth year at Buena Vista Horace Mann as a third grader. In his first grade year, Buena Vista merged with Horace Mann to become a K-8 Spanish immersion school. There were bumps in the transition, as one would expect. Those bumps feel to me to be ironing out and I feel positive about the trajectory of the school, the current administration and teaching staff. My son's teachers have been good to amazing. My and my son's experiences with his third grade teacher, new to the school this year, have been incredibly positive. I suspect that she will be one of the teachers that he looks back on as an adult with respect and appreciation. My son is not an English language learner and children who are not have not fared as well in SFUSD schools, including Buena Vista Horace Mann. Educational equity is critical to a successful school and community and I feel that important steps are being taken at BVHM to better ensure the success of English language learners and that those steps do not take away from the education of my son, but rather by having other successful classmates his education will be better.

Posted September 12, 2013

A great community school in the heart of the Mission. Spanish immersion K-8. Wonderful, dedicated teachers, especially kindergarten and 1st grade. A professional, energetic principal and a vice-principal who is the heart and soul of the school. Beautiful garden and dance classes for all grades. Excellent community of parent who support the teachers and the administrative team. Kids love coming to this school.

Posted September 12, 2013

I love BVHM because it is a socially conscious bilingual school attending to students' academic development with rich exposure to the arts, environment, and responsible citizenship. The wonderful, committed and talented staff nurture and challenge our children; and the families work together with staff to ensure all children have access to an education that will expand their lives and help them meaningfully contribute to society.

Posted August 30, 2013

Iam Happy on the choice I pick for my kids. My son can be a little work, but the school has work with him well. And he is coming along. My daughter is doing great. Really like the teacher my kids had these last couple of years. Let go Buena Vista

Posted August 26, 2013

Buena Vista Horace Mann is a K-8 dual-language Spanish immersion school in the Mission neighborhood of San Francisco. This is an amazing community of caring, creative and dedicated educators and parents. Our son, currently in 2nd grade, is thriving socially and academically in both Spanish and English. He comes home happy everyday, and he looks forward to going to school and the after school program. If you are considering San Francisco schools, be sure to tour BVHM.

Posted August 26, 2013

Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 is a fantastic school, with engaging, caring and very experienced teachers, wonderful staff, and a dynamic leader as principal. Parents are very involved. My children have thrived here, and have loved learning in Spanish and English.

Posted August 25, 2013

BVHM is an energetic, artistic, bilingual (Spanish) community. Despite the priority of music and the arts, the students focus on math, language skills, and physical education as well. We are purposeful about creating a safe learning space to empower the next generation - our core values: bilingual community, creativity, empathy, flexibility, integrity, perseverance, and responsibility, Your child will find a fun, energetic, diverse community and you will be welcomed by caring and supportive administrators, teachers and parents from all walks of life.

Posted August 25, 2013

Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 has a wonderful caring environment. I have only the highest regard for the teaching and administrative staff. We are a community and strive to be more cohesive and inclusive every year with the stellar leadership of Jen Steiner and Larry Alegre. There are many ways parents can be involved with the school: directly in the classroom, working in the garden, preparing morning snack, or volunteering for one of our many events throughout the year. On a personal note anytime we have brought issues up with our children's teachers they act swiftly and with finesse. Also, my partner, I and my children are forging friendships that I hope will last for many years to come. It is such a wonderful place to grow and learn as both parents and students.

Posted August 24, 2013

I have been a parent at BVHM for 9 years and counting. I have always been impressed with the school's strong sense of community and greatly appreciate the school-wide dual immersion approach (Spanish-English). The teaching staff is consistently high quality and strives to know each student individually, allowing for student self-expression and confidence building. The teachers truly take a team approach, both at the grade level and school-wide; I can say that all of my children have had terrific teachers. The PTA, ELAC and SSC are all active at this school. The PTA has successfully supported a very strong arts curriculum through even the most difficult budget cuts. The on site before and after care program for the grade school has served our family very well, providing real enrichment with a staff that consists of BVHM alumni and contributes to the well developed sense of community. BVHM transitioned to a K-8 Community school 3 years ago and a new, strong leadership team is helping the school develop into its new role after some growing pains. I expect to see the school continue to strengthen in its new role and serve as an example of a successful dual Spanish immersion K-8.

Posted August 22, 2013

Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 is a fantabulous school!! The close knit community feeling makes me feel welcome. from the time my daughter entered Kindergarten in 2009 until now that she is starting 4th grade. Ms. Steiner, the Principal; Mr. Alegre, the Vice Principal and the entire staff and team of teachers are magnificent beyond words. The fact that this is a dual immersion Spanish program is just the icing on the cake. I am ensured that my daughter is learning Spanish and English that will carry her through her life and career with much success. They really focus on the child and also put a great emphasis on the families and making sure they are doing well. We LOVE BVHM!!!

Posted August 22, 2013

This is a school with heart. It's the 2nd oldest Spanish Immersion school in the State of California, oldest in Northern California (28 years). We have been at this school six years, with two children enrolled. The leadership team, the teachers, the parent community are incredibly tight and focused on one thing: teaching our children to be fabulous learners and decent human beings. Our children are happy and engaged, speaking, reading in Spanish and learning about the different cultures that exist in our society today. I couldn't think of a better place to be.

Posted August 22, 2013

Buena Vista Horace Mann's teachers are the best ones you can find, and the have low turnover. The school and the PTA invest in teachers' development, which, coupled with the low turnover, results in a school that has the highest standards. Jennifer Steiner, the principal, is awesome. She's capable and has a vision to make BVHM academically sound, inclusive, and with high quality afterschool care options. Adding the Spanish Immersion component, you have one of the best schools possible.

Posted August 22, 2013

We have two children at BVHM (2nd and kinder) and feel extremely lucky to be a part of this parent and academic community. Jennifer Steiner (principal), Larry Allegre, and the rest of the leadership team are incredibly committed. They have the vision, dedication, and community-building skills to make BVHM a truly excellent school K-8 school (the first K-8 Spanish immersion program in San Francisco). The teachers are phenomenal: smart, caring, responsive educators who combine support and creativity with their desire for high academic standards and the success of each of our children to create a nurturing, challenging learning environment for our kids. We love the diversity, friendliness, and commitment of the parents and the richness of our bilingual, bi-cultural community.

Posted August 8, 2013

This is a really friendly school and I like that the parents are involved with the students. Glad its a k-8 and then you only have to look for a high school.

Posted June 19, 2013

Our daughter will be starting 2nd grade at Buena VIsta Horace Mann in the Fall and she is already reading, speaking and writing at grade level in Spanish and English. We have been consistently amazed by the dedicated, creative and loving teachers at the school. Most have been there for many years, and many have had their own kids as students there. The principal, Jen Steiner, is on the top of her game with a great support staff including the heart/soul of the school, assistant principal Senior Larry Alegre. We love being a pat of this vibrant, diverse community. We can't wait until our little guy (now three) can start attending as well. It's the jewel of the Mission. We highly recommend it.

Posted June 18, 2013

We were nervous when first enrolling, but have been delighted with our experience. We have been at Buena Visat for two years now. A couple of characteristics make this school stand out from the rest in SFUSD: 1. Spanish Immersion. This school has the longest track record of any Spanish Immersion program in the city. 2. Community: Everyone here is warm, happy and inclusive. If you want to connect with other families at your child's school, the environment is open and perfect for that. 3. Principal: She is amazing, driven, tireless and charismatic. She sets the tone for the school -- warm, professional and dediicated. 4. Location: 100 feet from the 24th Street BART station -- great for parent's who work downtown (like me.) 5. K-8: Spanish immersion through 8th grade with the added bonus of not having to deal with the SF lottery system after 5th grade like those in K-5 programs.

Posted June 17, 2013

I love, love, love my son's school! The insane high quality of the staff - loving teachers, hands-on administrators, and every employee fully engaged with the needs of the kids and the community - set us apart. Furthermore, the parent community is the one that I'd always dreamed of - active, friendly, welcoming, and our dear, dear friends. The location can't be beat, and we're fortunate enough to have a large and historic building with two very large outdoor areas and a garden. The language component is incredible. By public school standards, this is a winning educational institution by any metric!

Posted June 17, 2013

My son just finished his first year at BVHM and he- and we- love the school. His teacher was really supportive and effective with a very high energy and easily distractible boy. The principal and vp seem to know all of the kids well. The parent community does a lot, and the arts programs are great. We use the on-site before and aftercare program, Buena Vista Childcarem, and it is wonderful, and there are good supplemental after school programs too (like chess and drama).

This school's

+23

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students40%

Fluent-English proficient and English only56%
Parent education - not a high school graduate38%
Parent education - high school graduate50%
Parent education - declined to state38%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 85%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

Language learning

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Cooking club
  • Girls on the run

School start time
  • 8:20 (6-8) 9:30 (k-5)
School end time
  • 3:45 pm (thursdays: 1:45 for 6-8/ 2:45 k-5)
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:45 p.m.
  • Jennifer Steiner/ Larry Alegre (Vice Principal)
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 282-7869

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Balanced LIteracy and Workshop Model

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Moderate metered street parking. Muni: 14, 29, 48, 49BART: 24th Street station
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Art room
  • Auditorium
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Buena Vista Horace Mann (summer program)

About the program
  • Each program has an academic, enrichment and physical activity component. The programs are based on a youth development model and include project based learning activities. The summer programs are operated by community based organizations that are contracted by SFUSD to provide the services based on grants to the school from California Department of Education. Each organization has a site specific enrollment process. Priority enrollment goes to the students from the school site. Students from other SFUSD schools are eligible to apply though in many of the elementary schools there is more demand than available slots. Funding changes year to year and program offerings change.
Types of activities
Start time
  • 9:00 am
End time
  • 4:30 pm
What grades can participate?
  • K-8
Is there a fee for the program?
Phone number
  • 415-695-5881

Buena Vista Child Care (summer program)

About the program
  • Buena Vista Child Care (BVCC) is a fully licensed non-profit facility serving children in grades K-5. The afterschool program offers daily activities that include snack, homework, visual and performing arts, KidzLit (literature appreciation), clubs, group time, and physical activities. Camp activities include cooking, musical theater, science, sports, technology, arts and crafts, plus field trips to places like the Children's Discovery Museum, Golden Gate Park, the Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium, and more. In some weeks, campers take swim lessons at UCSF Mission Bay Bakar Fitness Center. In addition to school breaks, the center is open on days when SFUSD schools are closed.Camps:Camp activities include cooking, musical theater, science, sports, technology, arts and crafts, plus field trips to places like the Children's Discovery Museum, Golden Gate Park, the Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium, and more. In some weeks, campers take swim lessons at UCSF Mission Bay Bakar Fitness Center. In addition to school breaks, the center is open on days when SFUSD schools are closed. Call for camp details. 2012 Week-long Summer Camp Session: Dates: June 4-July 20. Ages: grades K-5. Days/Times: Monday to Friday, 7:30am-5:30pm. Cost: 50-00 per week plus 0 registration fee; extra fees for Spanish (0 per week), Swimming (0 per week) Snacks included; lunch not included; early bird, sibling, and multiple-week discounts available. 2012 Spring Camp Session: Dates: March 26-March 30. Ages: grades K-5. Days/Times: Monday to Friday, 7:30am-5:30pm. Cost: 0 per day for children enrolled in BVCC; 0 per day for those not enrolled in BVCC. Snacks included; lunch not included; early bird and multiple-day discounts available. 2011 Winter Camp Sessions: Dates: December 19-December 23, December 27-December 30. Ages: grades K-5Days/Times: Monday to Friday, 7:30am-5:30pm. Cost: 0 per day for children enrolled in BVCC; 0 per day for those not enrolled in BVCC Snacks included; lunch not included; discounts available. Afterschool: The afterschool program at Buena Vista (Horace Mann) is a partnership between Buena Vista Childcare and Jamestown Community Center. Many of the students enroll in the program for FREE.
Operated by
Start time
  • 9:30 am
End time
  • 3:45 pm
What grades can participate?
  • K-5
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
Website

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
300

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Mission HS