Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Well organized, strong teachers, technology used in the classrooms, lots of lunch-time clubs, student council, sports teams and afterschool program run by the YMCA. The school counselors are nice and their are lots of adults walking around the school. My son is in 6th Grade and I feel he is going to be well prepared for high school.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The school has many new teachers and they are young, enthusiastic and super smart. The teachers are really making a difference.

Amount of homework: Agree

Most students have afternoon activities (music, dance, sports, etc) and the school gives the correct amount of homework to allow kids to still participate in after-school activities.

Develops character: Agree

School has a weekly Advisory Class that helps develop students' social and emotion responses. This weekly class (with only 22 kids per teacher) really tries to help middle school student understand how to be kind and how to prepare for high school.

I don't recommend this school for your child. This school hire a teacher with no experience at teaching and Do not know how to control the students in class. The students just takes over and the teacher is not able to teach. My daughter had a very disappointing 7th grade 2014-2015. As a parent I asked to have my daughter to be remove from that class but they did not allow it. The principal doesn't care also when a student has a problem and she just ignores it. My daughter always mark late if she just walked in just on time after the bell rings which is not very fair. Some teachers do care.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My daughter comes home with no homework. Teachers don't even check homework that's why students don't bothered to do it.

I like this school so much because it's clean nice students and teachers and don't give a lot of referrals

Terrible. Within months my perfectly normal child became depressed. I had no idea how bad the environment was until I came to speak to a teacher. For three weeks this teacher was unable to tell me what assignment my daughter missed when she was sick. Once I entered the school, I understood my daughter's desperation and also why this teacher could not perform her job. While I was waiting at the secretary's window, a girl was yelling obscenities down the hall, words one would usually only hear from a mentally ill homeless person. It didn't seem to create too much stir, even though there were teachers around, as if this was within the norm. Then I went to my daughter's class, it was an absolute chaos. The teacher could not instruct, at least three children were yelling at her different requests at the same time. They were getting up and walking around without reason. It seemed that most have some mental health issues. It reminded me of a psychiatric ward at an institution I used to work at. It was unbelievable. It was distressing to spend just five minutes in this class. It was mid-period, so the children weren't just settling down. My daughter told me that it gets much worse.

I love that my kids are able to attend their neighborhood school and that they feel safe and happy. Someday as adults, they will go out to the Marina with friends and point to that beautiful art deco building in the Marina District and say, "I went to school there", just like true native San Franciscans. They are super happy, have a lot of friends from many different backgrounds, and really enjoying middle school life. After school, they are able to study at the library with friends, or go have a smoothie on Chestnut St, or go watch a game in the gym or Moscone Park. They would not be able to experience this if the school were located in an unsafe neighborhood.

My daughter attends 6th grade at this school. she's doing well in her academics earning in high honors and principal. Since's my daughter started at marina, Aug 2013, there has been fights at this school. Some of the students don't obey and the teachers are not as strict. Some of the teachers r nice and some don't have time to discuss about their class work or grades during class time n my daughter have to wait til after school to talk to the teachers. The teachers needs to communicate more with their students. As for friends, they need to be careful who u make friends with.

Last modified Marina Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.