San Francisco, CA

Marina Middle School 2

Posted July 15, 2015
I don't recommend this school for your child. This school hire a teacher with no experience at teaching and Do not know how to control the students in class. The students just takes over and the teacher is not able to teach. My daughter had a very disappointing 7th grade 2014-2015. As a parent I asked to have my daughter to be remove from that class but they did not allow it. The principal doesn't care also when a student has a problem and she just ignores it. My daughter always mark late if she just walked in just on time after the bell rings which is not very fair. Some teachers do care.

Marina Middle School
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 14, 2015
My daughter comes home with no homework. Teachers don't even check homework that's why students don't bothered to do it.

Posted March 12, 2015
I like this school so much because it's clean nice students and teachers and don't give a lot of referrals

Marina Middle School 1

Posted January 26, 2015
Terrible. Within months my perfectly normal child became depressed. I had no idea how bad the environment was until I came to speak to a teacher. For three weeks this teacher was unable to tell me what assignment my daughter missed when she was sick. Once I entered the school, I understood my daughter's desperation and also why this teacher could not perform her job. While I was waiting at the secretary's window, a girl was yelling obscenities down the hall, words one would usually only hear from a mentally ill homeless person. It didn't seem to create too much stir, even though there were teachers around, as if this was within the norm. Then I went to my daughter's class, it was an absolute chaos. The teacher could not instruct, at least three children were yelling at her different requests at the same time. They were getting up and walking around without reason. It seemed that most have some mental health issues. It reminded me of a psychiatric ward at an institution I used to work at. It was unbelievable. It was distressing to spend just five minutes in this class. It was mid-period, so the children weren't just settling down. My daughter told me that it gets much worse.

Posted December 08, 2014
I love that my kids are able to attend their neighborhood school and that they feel safe and happy. Someday as adults, they will go out to the Marina with friends and point to that beautiful art deco building in the Marina District and say, "I went to school there", just like true native San Franciscans. They are super happy, have a lot of friends from many different backgrounds, and really enjoying middle school life. After school, they are able to study at the library with friends, or go have a smoothie on Chestnut St, or go watch a game in the gym or Moscone Park. They would not be able to experience this if the school were located in an unsafe neighborhood.

Posted November 25, 2014
It has been a great year at Marina. We love our Language Arts and Social Studies teacher. The kids are reading "Call of the Wild" and she is really bringing it to life and making the story accessible. Two tips: 1. Technology with Mr Vong is great. Kids are learning coding as well as other introduction to animation. 2. Get to know the staff and administrators. Our counselor has been very helpful in navigating Middle School and our interaction with the two Asst. Principals has really been great -- warm and supportive. Both APs totally "get" middle school kids! Marina is a hidden gem -- that won't be hidden for for very long :-)

Marina Middle School 3

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter attends 6th grade at this school. she's doing well in her academics earning in high honors and principal. Since's my daughter started at marina, Aug 2013, there has been fights at this school. Some of the students don't obey and the teachers are not as strict. Some of the teachers r nice and some don't have time to discuss about their class work or grades during class time n my daughter have to wait til after school to talk to the teachers. The teachers needs to communicate more with their students. As for friends, they need to be careful who u make friends with.

Posted April 01, 2014
Our great middle school just had over 50 graduating students accepted to Lowell High, one of the best high schools in the nation, and the best public high school in the City. That is almost 20% of our 8th graders. Go Penguins! Great job!

Posted December 18, 2013
If you are looking for a school with a caring group of teachers, strong Honors (GATE) program and a fun group of electives...Marina is your place. My child has made nice friends and we have been happy with the (sometimes challenging) transition to Middle School and the support we have received as a family. Thank Marina. Go Penguins!

Marina Middle School 4

Posted October 27, 2013
6th Grade has been great so far! Marina has lots of caring teachers and staff who are focused on getting our kids up and running in the 6th grade -- and preparing them for high school. Changing classes, lockers, homework, new friends, afterschool are all exciting new experiences and the school has been supportive of our child's transition. Excited about our next few years at Marina.

Marina Middle School
3500 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, CA  94123
Last modified Marina Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marina Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top