Frank McCoppin Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 266 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 21, 2013

We personally love this school. For my kids it is their second home. They love everything that happen at McCoppin. The teachers and principal really care about education. PTO is not that strong but we have some people that are always there when there is a need. All we can say is that McCoppin is a safe and fun place to be!

Posted September 16, 2013

Hi i am a student in frank mc coppin elementry school it is a very good school they have art,phisycal education,etc. teachers teach things such as math,science,social studies,languge arts, and much more. This year there was to new teachers and i know they are good. I had been in this school scince kindergarthen to 5th. I am going to graduate this year and go off to middle school. Anyway this is a great school! I had aways loved it. All my teachers where very good. Mrs.lee, Mrs noveski, Mrs berryessa, ms dressler ,ms wong, and now i have ms.to. And again this is agreat school and i wish to stay here for ever but i can't i am now going to graduate. And go yo middle school. One more thing this school transphers the kids to rosevelt. Middle school. That is all i hope that if you like this school please rate it because again it is a GRAET SCHOOL!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Posted October 11, 2012

My son started at McCoppin this year for Kindergarten and he loves it! We toured many schools since we knew from previously going through the lottery process with our oldest to look for the "little known gems". We chose McCoppin as one of out top picks for several reasons. The teachers and staff are very sweet, the classes were clean, organized and the students were engaged, the small size, the location, the true diversity of the general education classes (they also have cantonese classes), it feeds into Roosevelt MS which we love, and the principal. He has made it a point to try and bring all students up to current standards in their education regardless of native language and the scores have steadily gone up under his direction. He is always present seems to know everyone's name!. We know from experience that it only takes a dedicated staff, a good principal, and participation from parents to help a school grow and we are happy to be a part of that again!

Posted December 6, 2011

i went to this school for 5 years it it was amazing. the teachers were nice and smart,staffs were kind, and the principal was smart and cares a lot about us students. we also go on amazing field trips. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. trust me .im in 8th grade

Posted October 4, 2011

My child started Kindergarten at McCoppin in 2011. Initially we were placed here by the lottery system. There didn't seem to be much information out there about McCoppin and I'll admit we had our reservations! A few months in and I am happy to say that I've been pleasantly surprised. Its a good school. My child's teacher is amazing and has such great energy and is making efforts to reach all the parents. I've found the parents to be a very supportive group helping out the teacher and getting involved. McCoppin doesn't market itself a lot which maybe isn't such a bad thing! You won't hear it on the playground 'chatter' of schools to be at. There seem to be great efforts to increase parent involvement in the PTA. That is your chance to get involved. We love the diversity of the school too. In my opinion, its a great little elementary school for your child to begin their education journey. I would recommend taking a tour and making up your own mind.

Posted September 7, 2011

I am a student who was promoted from this school in 2009. This school, honestly, take this from a former student, this school was not a good place to go. The teachers were unaware and careless of the student's environment and feelings about school. The courses were too easy, no special classes for students like myself who thrive for excellence, i felt like i was held back by less acclaimed students. The principle does not do much, he walks around and acts like a hypocrit to every one of the students . Honestly, i wish my parents sent me to a different school, at the time i was unaware of my rights, so i had to go there. But honestly, it was a horrible experience, bad learning environment, not much chance for students with potential, no freedom of speach, and horrible staff. No, just, just, no. I attended this school from my kindergarden to 5th grade academic years. The worse, six years, of my life, yet, and as so, ever to be. Thank you.

Posted August 23, 2011

my daughter just get in this school.she is happy,she loves the teacher miss chui.and office people and the princepal is nice .they try to help parents.thank you so much!!olny one thing is no one tell me that i need to come to the school on 8/13 saturday.until monday 8/15 i bring my daugher go to school then i know what i need to get ready for my daughter.

Posted August 21, 2011

My daughter graduate last year. Strengths: caring, experienced and dedicated principal. Bilingual Cantonese teaching helps English learners. Many experienced and veteran teachers. Strong physical education enrichment. Great librarian. Improved PTA and better communication btwn teachers and parents. Weaknesses: underfunding [a systemwide issue], not enough parental involvement. School's strengths are not widely known.

Posted July 21, 2010

Principal not welcoming, teachers not as communicative as I would like. Parents don't socialize making it hard to feel welcome in school yard, which reflects on the kids behavior. My kid was there for 4 years and was never happy, I just regret not pulling him/her out before.

Posted November 28, 2009

This school is an undiscovered gem. We have found McCoppin a very welcoming, nurturing place with high academic standards. Our child's teacher is energetic, committed, and caring, and the principal is absolutely terrific. The small size of the school is a plus, as is the location in a quiet Richmond district neighborhood. We transferred from another SFUSD school and regret not finding McCoppin sooner. Check it out!

Posted June 3, 2009

***Pluses --- Small student population, energetic principal, strong PTA, hardworking and committed teachers, friendly office staff, excellent and growing library. ****Minuses --- Parent involvement mediocre, disorganized communication between teaching staff and principal, no science curriculum, no cafetorium/auditorium

Posted October 25, 2008

My child is a 3rd grader. We appreciate the principal's hard work, the caring teachers and staff, and are still getting to know parents, many of whom are Chinese and other immigrants. The PTA leadership is wonderful and we just wish more parents would chip in and help us continue to improve our little school. We think the teachers have been great. But we just wish our child could have a lighter backpack load each day. And we are trying to improve our playground and facilities.

Posted October 24, 2008

I am a new kindergarten parent and find our teacher is great, interesting and I love that she sings to teach the kids different things. my child comes home with a new song every other day. However, The parents and the principle are not very inviting.. The kindergarten parents are great but have not meet any other parents to really have a community. The princple seems to run around alot and not have time for people.

Posted October 25, 2007

My oldest son graduated and my youngest one still attends this charming school. I agree that size is an advantage for the children. I have seen gradual improvements in academics, school site, activities, and equipment. My oldest son has severe chronic illness, and all the staff was extremely caring, helpful, and accommodating. I have volunteered in the classrooms, and I know how much effort the teachers put into their work. This isn't a learning academy, but parents can help make a difference by volunteering and participating in staff meetings instead of complain. I recommend it for all parents who would like a safe, loving environment and happy childhood memories for their child.

Posted August 16, 2007

I'm the outgoing PTA president at McCoppin, where it has been a pleasure to work with the students, parents, and staff. Rather than give my personal take on the school, I'd like to share the top 10 things parents here have said they like about McCoppin: * Diverse, well-behaved student body * Enthusiastic, motivated teachers * Commitment to excellence * Effective, accessible principal * Emphasis on the three R's * Bilingual Cantonese program * Small size and sense of community * Active PTA and parental involvement * Computer lab and library * The fun events, especially the Halloween Carnival and Chinese New Year's activities Good luck in your search for the right school for your child. Danny Mangin

Posted February 9, 2007

After not receiving any of our 6 kindergarten choices last year, my wife and I toured McCoppin and were impressed with the principal, teachers and PTA. Our daughter absolutely loves her school and teachers (also enrolled in year-round after-school program), and I now think we'd be hard-pressed to find a better learning environment for her at any of the top-ranked schools. The smaller size of the school is also a plus - it has a 'family' atmosphere where everyone is looking out for each other, and the PTA is currently working with administration to make many site and program improvements. McCoppin is a 'diamond in the rough' with potential only limited by concerned and involved parents.

Posted August 6, 2004

I think this school is a very warm and welcoming one. We have been very pleased with the environment created by the teachers and principal. Additionally, the school is always encouraging parental involvment and I have found all the teachers to be very receptive to my spending time in the classroom.

Posted March 18, 2004

My experience at McCoppin has been great. My sons have been attending this school since kindergarten, they are now in 1st and 2nd grade. The teachers care about the students and the principal is the most supportive person I have ever met. The PTA does a great job of bringing new and exciting programs to the school. If you looking for a great neighborhood school, McCoppin is it.

Posted November 10, 2003

Kindergarten was a continuation of pre-school..not very challenging possibly due to number of non-English speaking children? Teacher was very experienced and good however.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Females67%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 61%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Bennett E. Lee
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 750-8474

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • MUNI

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Roosevelt Middle School