San Francisco, CA

Posted February 28, 2015
Shame on SFUSD for allowing McCoppin Elementary to have become as bad as it is. We have been disappointed in the many questionable things going on at McCoppin. We have never heard of a principal that is absent so much he requires th use of a regular substitute teacher. Also, there was a second grade teacher (not at the school this year) who never earned her teaching credential but was allowed to work at McCoppin for three years. This did not sound right to us. The cafeteria situation is also terrible. Students shouldn't have to eat out in the yard. There should not be a preschool class using the cafeteria as a classroom.
7 people found this helpful

Mccoppin (Frank) Elementary School 4

Posted February 19, 2015
As the parent of a McCoppin student, I am 100% behind this transition the school has made. The classrooms look better than ever and the students are actually reading critically and finally doing meaningful writing. No more worksheets during reading is wonderful. This new approach has truly inspired my child and she is now excited about reading and writing. I am so glad this school was approached by Kellogg and that the teachers and principal decided to be a part of this grant. It has really transformed this school. I applaud those teachers that have embraced this and are truly making a difference. I also attended a PTO meeting and it was exciting to see people getting involved. Great things are happening at this school.

Posted February 11, 2015
My daughter has been in Kindergarten ever since, and now she is in the 5th grade at Frank McCoppin. Frank McCoppin Elementary School is a wonderful school where the principal, secretary, and teachers, are all kind and caring. The principal has a great sense of humor, nice, and most of all dedicated his life to this school. I am very happy that this school has a wonderful literacy program where my child go on the "MYON" to read a variety of books that she can choose from fiction books, historical, real life situations, etc. One parent told me that the "MYON" has help his child in the first grade learn to read from listening to the words in highlight and read along. Ms. Read teaching literacy approach, assists and coaches teachers to do many variety of work that involves literacy. For example, the "MYON", Literacy Night, etc. Thank You Principal, Mr. Lee; Ms. Read, teachers, and secretary for all your hard work!
2 people found this helpful

Posted February 07, 2015
McCoppin Elementary has gone down the drain. After looking like a dump for years (non-functioning computer lab, dilipidated student furniture, etc.) improvements were suddenly made because of a new literacy program. but the program is just a bandage masking deeper issues, such as bad decision-making. The program itself wasn't even approved by teachers even though all the extra work and hours needed is required on their behalf. The school is very poorly managed. Many parents pull their kids out of McCoppin as soon as they get of the waiting list elsewhere. Bullying is a problem - not much in the way of students, but in terms of workplace. Many good teachers disappear with no plausible explanation. Poor leadership here has had a very negative impact.
9 people found this helpful

Posted January 09, 2015
I am disgusted by how McCoppin has grown worse and worse over the years with constant low student enrollment and very high teacher turnover. Things just don't seem to get done around here. This is one big issue (of many) for example: a small group of about 10 preschool kids occupies the entire cafeteria as a classroom even though they only use a part of the room. So the rest of the school all K-5 students cannot use the cafeteria for meals or for any other reason; they all eat outide for lunch even when it is very cold. There are empty classrooms available because of low student enrollment that could easily hose the preschool. So one big question is why doesn't the principal Bennett Lee roll up his shirtsleeves and do the work needed to move the preschool into one of the empty classrooms? Because of the lack of a cafeteria there are also no school assemblies or student performances - the typically normal stuff you would expect to see at any school. I dont like having my child to eat outside and I know a lot of other parents don't like this either. And as I said before this is just one of many problems about this school.
12 people found this helpful

Posted December 23, 2014
Mccoppin Elementary is an okay school because of the teachers. But the principal Bennett Lee is bad and doesn't do his job.he is absent all the time and is not fair about many things.Kids have to eat outside because the cafeteria is used for preschoolers. We didnt have compbuters to use for a long time because the computer lab was closed.
11 people found this helpful

Posted September 21, 2013
We personally love this school. For my kids it is their second home. They love everything that happen at McCoppin. The teachers and principal really care about education. PTO is not that strong but we have some people that are always there when there is a need. All we can say is that McCoppin is a safe and fun place to be!
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 16, 2013
Hi i am a student in frank mc coppin elementry school it is a very good school they have art,phisycal education,etc. teachers teach things such as math,science,social studies,languge arts, and much more. This year there was to new teachers and i know they are good. I had been in this school scince kindergarthen to 5th. I am going to graduate this year and go off to middle school. Anyway this is a great school! I had aways loved it. All my teachers where very good. Mrs.lee, Mrs noveski, Mrs berryessa, ms dressler ,ms wong, and now i have ms.to. And again this is agreat school and i wish to stay here for ever but i can't i am now going to graduate. And go yo middle school. One more thing this school transphers the kids to rosevelt. Middle school. That is all i hope that if you like this school please rate it because again it is a GRAET SCHOOL!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 11, 2012
My son started at McCoppin this year for Kindergarten and he loves it! We toured many schools since we knew from previously going through the lottery process with our oldest to look for the "little known gems". We chose McCoppin as one of out top picks for several reasons. The teachers and staff are very sweet, the classes were clean, organized and the students were engaged, the small size, the location, the true diversity of the general education classes (they also have cantonese classes), it feeds into Roosevelt MS which we love, and the principal. He has made it a point to try and bring all students up to current standards in their education regardless of native language and the scores have steadily gone up under his direction. He is always present seems to know everyone's name!. We know from experience that it only takes a dedicated staff, a good principal, and participation from parents to help a school grow and we are happy to be a part of that again!

Posted December 06, 2011
i went to this school for 5 years it it was amazing. the teachers were nice and smart,staffs were kind, and the principal was smart and cares a lot about us students. we also go on amazing field trips. I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. trust me .im in 8th grade

Mccoppin (Frank) Elementary School
651 Sixth Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94118
Last modified Mccoppin (Frank) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mccoppin (Frank) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top