Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted January 29, 2016
Jen, Mateo and Michael's mom for walking kids to school every Tuesday from the meeting point at Excelsior Playground, every Tuesday at 8:45 a.m. "The Walk & Roll 2 School Hub" by Safe Routes to Schools.org

Posted January 29, 2016
Great parents also make a great school. S.F.C School is very lucky to have Jenn, Mateo and Michael's mom who comes out every Tuesday morning to the Excelsior Walk & Roll 2 School Hub and walks kids to school rain or shine. San Francisco Community is lucky to have her and Safe Routes To Schools in their school! Great job Jenn!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 19, 2015
Nora Houseman does an amazing job leading the entire school given limited rescourses. Teaching and being a principle is a job of passion and dedication. She and the teachers are making a difference every day!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted November 19, 2015
From everything I have seen in terms of dedication and positive attitude given the lack of support from the district our teachers do an amazing job every day and strive to get their kids to excel.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted November 19, 2015
SFC focuses every day on the emotional health and development of their kids. They really practice restoritive practices every day with community circle and engaging the kids in how they feel in resolving conflict and promoting and inclusive environment for all kids.

Posted September 22, 2015
I can't believe we get to be a part of this amazing community! My son is thriving at SFC and couldn't be happier. Being a teacher myself, I had many requirements, and SFC has met those. Curriculum is project-based, which is extremely important for different types of learners, class sizes are small (k-8 and less than 300 students), grades are blended (K-1st, 2nd-3rd, 4th-5th, 6-7-8), and there's a high focus on social-emotional intelligence. My son is challenged and supported. He was bringing home books he had written and illustrated in kinder! And the principal and staff are wonderful. It really does feel like we're part of a community.

Posted October 31, 2013
SFC is a small school where children can really be known and it s K-8, which means my child will be able to develop deep friendships and, as a Middle schooler, will hopefully be able to be a mentor to a younger student at school. My daughter s teacher is fantastic calm, knowledgeable, and so insightful in helping kids talk through social conflicts when they arise. Because the grades are looped she will be in this classroom for 2 years. The class is also undertaking their first big hands-on science project for the year, to be showcased in Dec. (Project Open House events happen twice a year). The overall feeling I have about SFC is that the staff is trying to make it work for everyone who is involved in the school. From what I have seen, they are very respectful of differences and do their best to make each child feel safe and recognized. They are very open to feedback, welcome new ideas and appreciate volunteering efforts. SFC feels like a really unique, special place. I feel lucky to be involved with it. p.s. I just heard that the play structure will be renovated during summer 2014.

Posted October 22, 2013
My kids are in 2nd and 4th and are new to SFC this year. I was REALLY anxious about the transition from their old public school, which they'd both attended from kinder -- but SFC has been fantastic. Within a few weeks all the teachers & specialists (garden, PE, Playworks, library, dance, art, music, counselor) knew my kids, their quirks, and best how to work with them. My kids are both strong academically, and I was pleased to see the speed with which their teachers identified their strengths and found ways to engage them in lessons that covered material they already knew. For the first time neither of them say that school is boring. When asked what he likes about SFC my son says " I liked my old school, when I was there I rated it about a 7, but SFC is SO much better, I think my old school is really a 4 & SFC is a 9, I need to go a bit more and see if its a 10." When I asked what he liked best he said " the kids are really friendly & all the teachers really like teaching" And don't we all want our kids in schools where the teachers really want to be there? I know the focus on small classes, project based learning & community will serve my kids well through 8th grade.

Posted October 21, 2013
My son is a new Kindergartner at this school. Going to kindergarten is a tough transition, but I've been surprised at how quickly my son made it through with the support of his teacher, great kids, and great parents. There's room for everyone to help and give back at this school and every year, there are more and more involved parents - making this school better every year. For a boy who wasn't interested in reading, I've been shocked at how much he's learned and how many words he can read now. We're excited our kid will get to experience project-based learning at its best, growing and thriving through eighth grade with his friends.

Posted October 17, 2013
My son is in kindergarten at SFC, so we're about two months in. Before he started, he couldn't read or write anything except for his own name; now when we read together, he's reading about half of the words. He gets super excited about learning a new "sight word" each Monday, and he really likes his teacher. His favorite part of the day is the after school program, which has a new, really energetic director this year. I've appreciated how involved other parents are with the school, and how willing everyone is (including teachers and the principal) to talk openly about solutions when problems arise.

125 Excelsior Avenue, San Francisco, CA  94112-2041
Last modified San Francisco Community Alternative School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.