Sloat (Commodore) Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 368 students

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

Sloat is amazing in so many ways! The Teachers, the Principal, the community, the kids!! Our garden and school yard is so special and I just value our time at this school. My kids love love love their school and thats really what its all about.

Posted yesterday

My daughter has been welcomed into the Commodore community with open arms. She was accepted late August 2013 after school had already started. Immediately the Principal came over and introduced himself and made me and my child feel like we had found a great school. The campus is open and beautiful, the area is safe, the parents are caring and raise a substantial amount of money yearly for additional teachers and activities. The after school program is good too. Engineering, Lego Building and Swimming are some of the classes that your child can sign up for. I am a huge fan of Commodore Sloat!

Posted Monday, April 21, 2014

I have been teaching at Sloat for more than 15 years now and can still say what I said the year I started here... "this school is fantastic, inclusive, and wonderfully diverse. I'm lucky to be a part of it's community" I decided to bring my daughter here to join the Sloat Family when she was in kindergarten. She is about to graduate and move on to Middle School. The experiences she's had here, and the friends she's made will stay with her and help her grow. I'm very proud to be a part of this team. I have watched hundreds of kids blossom while here; kids with special needs as well as kids without... thanks to the dedication of both the "SpedEd" and "RegEd" teachers.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2014

My son attended kindergarten at Commodore Sloat. It was a very nurturing environment. His teacher, Ms. Loia, was amazing. She cared so much about all the kids and was a fantastic teacher. I am so happy he had his first big kid school experience with her and the wonderful staff at CS. The extra circular/ enrichment activities were wonderful as well - the art, gardening and music were a great way to introduce the kids to a diverse education. Keep up the great work CS!

Posted February 17, 2014

As I read the reviews, I am struck by the person that writes about our Special Ed Team. I have been a classroom teacher at Sloat for 3 years, prior to that I was the Garden Coordinator, and before that an involved parent. For the past two years I have worked closely with out SPED team, consulting with the two lead inclusion specialists as well as the paraprofessional staff on a daily basis. We have never had a stronger SPED team or a more supportive administrator. I attend many evening professional development workshops, and in talking to fellow educators across the district, our collaboration and whole child approach is remarkable and admired. No school is perfect, but from all the perspectives I have had, and the other schools I have had the opportunity to work at, I am happy to say our pledge every week ."I am proud to be a teacher at Commodore Sloat School, I listen with my ears, my eyes, and my heart, I treat others the way I want to be treated, I am strong and I am caring, I am proud to be a teacher of Commodore Sloat School."

Posted February 16, 2014

This school has many wonderful programs, teachers, PCO , and students. As you can read below, there is a lot of tension regarding the special ed department and the tension seems to stress out many facets of the school. A lot parents have complained about this. It seems like the principal refuses to hold the special ed department accountable for getting help to various needy areas.I have dealt with all the teachers in all the grades. Every teacher of the classes is outstanding.The fundraising is outstanding. The after school program and enrichments are outstanding. The arts programs are outstanding. Our kids are happy, so we are mostly happy. I just think the school would be more peaceful with a different special ed outlook.

Posted January 17, 2014

Its a good neighborhood school. We are very pleased with the school. Most parents are very involved. And the PCO is strong. Fund raising is strong here, but if it weren't the school wouldn't have the resources it does. The only pressure I feel to give to the school comes from my own sense of obligation. My children are getting a great education, and that takes donations from the parent body. I get it. Test scores are up this year. I do agree, however, with the previous post that there is not enough resources for children who have learning or behavioral issues.

Posted January 15, 2014

This school does not do a good job supporting children with learning or attention issues. The new principal seems well intentioned and hopefully will make the school more inclusive. The posts below seem like an accurate depiction of what life at this school is like for typical kids and their parents. Unfortunately, if your kid has behavior or learning issues you will have a much different experience at this school.

Posted October 28, 2013

Happy with our neighborhood school. Involved parent community - new principal this year. So far, things are going well.

Posted October 24, 2013

Amazing neighborhood school - teachers are all wonderful. Academics are super strong; as is the enrichment - gardening, choral, library, poetry (3-5), p/e -- well rounded school. Community is wonderful - everyone does their part.

Posted September 9, 2013

This school is fantastic. We feel so fortunate to have our first grade son here. The teachers are dynamic, inspiring, and partner with the diverse community of involved parents. We feel truly blessed to be apart of this school.

Posted September 3, 2013

Commodore Sloat is a fantastic school with incredible teachers, passionate parents and a well rounded curriculum. We have two children at Sloat and couldn't be happier with the community we have joined. Great education, many project based learning activities, a focus on the arts and ensuring balance across health and wellness makes this school unique in our eyes. It's a wonderful school!

Posted August 29, 2013

Commodore Sloat is a total gem of a school. My family and i looked at a number of schools in the area, and this one really hit home with us on so many levels. The grounds are beautiful, the layout of the school (pods with courtyards) was inviting and non intimidating, and the amount of fresh air and outdoor space avaialble to all the students was very attractive. Our son is in his second year there and thriving. He wakes every morning excited to go to school. The school is small enough that my son knows everyone in his grade and manages to have friends outside of his assigned class, as all the classes in each grade come together for a number of activities through out the day. It is a community that fosters cooperation on both a student level, and teacher and parent level. it has been a lovely experience so far and i coudnl't be happier with our placement.

Posted August 1, 2013

I am a parent of a 1st & 3rd grader at Commodore Sloat. It's a safe and academically solid school and the parent community is very strong and involved. We have new leadership this year - but I'm highly optimistic. We are happy at Sloat.

Posted November 17, 2011

This is a gem of a school. The teachers have so much experience and do a great job teaching to each individual child. There is a warm, community feeling within the student and parent body. The principal is a fabulous leader with the energy, passion and knowledge to make the school run, grow and thrive. I could not be happier with the choice we made for educating our children.

Posted November 5, 2011

Commodore Sloat is a gem of a public school! Dedicated principal, staff and welcoming & highly involved parent community who highly support the student body. A school that offers a well-balanced type of education for your child - strong academics, diverse student population, wonderful in-school programs such as visual art, theatre, musical theatre, poetry, gardening, library, music, and PE! Other highlights include a strong on-site after school program supported by the YMCA and also a well-organized after school enrichment program that offers a variety of interesting and engaging classes! Our school grounds is spacious with 3 wonderful play structures. Our gardening program supports a fantastic learning garden for all grade levels. This is a school that is not to be missed!

Posted December 20, 2010

We are so happy at Sloat! My daughter's Kindergarten teacher is loving with excellent classroom management skills. We have also been lucky enough to have a student teacher in the classroom every day in addition to the primary teacher (great with 22 kids in the class). PE, gardening, music and art have all been part of the enrichment classes (during school hours) this year. Also, there's a great after-school offering of classes. from Spanish and Tree Frog Treks to Chess and martial arts. The parent community is welcoming, down-to-earth and committed to supporting the kids.

Posted May 10, 2010

They do a great job with the kids and they keep parents involved!

Posted May 4, 2010

It is a very good school; it takes care of children, teach them, love them. Children and their parents response the same way.

Posted May 4, 2010

Commodore Sloat is a great school. My daughter started kindergarten this year and we are thrilled by all the things that she has learnt and is learning in her school.The best part is that she loves being there and doing all the activities there.The school has a great principal,excellent teachers and an excellent after school program.The PTA is very active doing constant fund raisers which are so necessary with our current budget problems.There are many enrichments supported by the PTA (such as chess,tree frog treks,spanish lango).The YMCA provides excellent after care with home work help and enrichments. The school has regular PE,library,big playground,learning garden.We are really glad that we got into this school.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School psychologist
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:40
School end time
  • 2:40
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Greg John
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (415) 759-2843

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • School psychologist
Transportation options
  • Muni

Commodore Sloat Licensed Afterschool and Before School Programs (after school program)

About the program
  • This fee-based program offers daily afterschool care with a flexible schedule (two, three, or five days per week programs). Each day they offer a healthy nutritious snack, an hour of homework help, outside and inside play, and structured group activity time which includes community service projects and field trips. Monthly fees range depending on the number of days per week students attend.Before school care is also offered in which students have the opportunity to play games, do homework, or do artwork in a safe, supervised environment before school. Monthly fees range depending on the number of days per week students attend.SFUSD ExCEL afterschool programs ensure involvement of teachers from students' schools to make sure that afterschool academics are aligned with the school day curriculum. Every school with an ExCEL program partners with a nonprofit community based organization to run activities and build bridges to the neighborhood.
Operated by
Start time
  • 7:00 am
End time
  • 6:30 pm
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 1-5
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
Website

Commodore Stockton Early Education School (after school program)

About the program
  • The Early Education Schools work collaboratively with elementary schools to support children's learning. The afterschool programs offer a homework/tutorial period, outdoor experiences, and learning/enrichment activities. Afterschool programs are offered year-round. Bussing is available between a number of SFUSD elementary schools.
Operated by
  • Thursday
  • Friday
End time
  • 5:45 pm
Is enrollment limited to students who attend the school?
What grades can participate?
  • 1-4
Is there a fee for the program?
Is financial aid available?
Website

Performing arts
  • Poetry

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Aptos Middle School