K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

St. Finn Barr is a godsend! I could go on and on about the horrible experience we had with her public school while in kindergarten, but long story short, I pulled her out and began looking for another school. SFUSD would let us put her in the school my husband teaches at so I looked at private schools. Unable to afford the non-secular schools I looked at Catholic schools. Not being a Catholic myself I was initially hesitant. Then I met the principal of St. Finn Barr and got a tour. I almost cried I was so happy. There was respect in the hallways, kids were being cooperative and respectful of each other...a whole different world. My daughter is now in 5th grade and is thriving! She is reading at the HS level, her favorite subject is science and her math skills are great. The community of SFB is warm and generous. The principal and staff are approachable and just awesome! The small class sizes I feel make a big difference as no child is lost in the shuffle. I couldn't be happier and more importantly, so is my daughter. There is also the benefit of not having to look for a middle school!

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Councelors, tutors and one-on-one learning time is available. The teachers are also very aware and helpful to accommodate students with learning struggles.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Just look at the scores of this school. That speaks for itself. Also, SFB was awareed the Gold medal in Bay Area Magazine for private elementary school in 2016 (Silver in 2015). Our principal has done an amazing job is upgrading and leading this school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Every month a characteristic value is emphasized and awarded such as Kindness, Integrity, Friendship, etc., where one student from each class is nominated by the teacher who demonstrates that characteristic and acknowledged during morning assembly. Also, bullying is NOT tolerated at this school. The students and parents are held accountable for their behaviors and help is offered to resolve issues. The older students help care for the younger students. One example is that the kinders have an 8 grade buddy who helps them get used to being in school and who they can feel safe with (at least thats how my kid felt).

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is age appropriate. No homework in kindergarten and the focus is on socialization skills. As the grades increase so do the homework demands and responsibilities so as to prepare the kids for middle school and high school. The after school program offers a homework club and study hall.

We transferred to St. Finn Barr school and my son received a very warm welcome from this wonderful community. I have been very impressed by the academics, particularly in math and science. My son tells me that math is his favorite subject now, thanks to his teacher, who makes sure he has challenging material to work on. It keeps him engaged and motivated.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Most schools talk about values such as empathy and kindness, but at St. Finn Barr, you truly see these values in action. Everyone from the principal to the teachers to the parents model these values, and you can see this reflected in the children.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Many of the teachers at St. Finn Barr have been there for years, and are very experienced. They are masters at classroom management.

Develops character: Strongly agree

We have been a part of the SFB community for the past 14 yrs. We had 1 daughter graduate from SFB and 1 currently attending. St. Finn Barr has become our extended family. We have made great life long friends throughout the years. We are grateful for the dedicated principal, teachers and staff at St. Finn Barr. Our older daughter thrived throughout her years there, was well prepared for high school and is now finishing up the end of her college years, learning has always come natural to her. Our younger daughter has multiple learning disabilities and learning isn't as simple for her. There's been different times where we didn't know if SFB was the right place for her or whether they would be able to meet her needs. The principal & teachers have been a big part of our support system and a blessing to work with. They always make themselves available to discuss our daughter's progress in school, brainstorm ways to best meet her needs and figure out what type of support is needed. We are just thankful to have SFB be a part of our lives and help us create life long learners in our children!

Last modified St. Finn Barr is a Private school that serves grades K-8