San Francisco, CA

St. Finn Barr
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 12, 2015
We have been a part of the SFB community for the past 14 yrs. We had 1 daughter graduate from SFB and 1 currently attending. St. Finn Barr has become our extended family. We have made great life long friends throughout the years. We are grateful for the dedicated principal, teachers and staff at St. Finn Barr. Our older daughter thrived throughout her years there, was well prepared for high school and is now finishing up the end of her college years, learning has always come natural to her. Our younger daughter has multiple learning disabilities and learning isn't as simple for her. There's been different times where we didn't know if SFB was the right place for her or whether they would be able to meet her needs. The principal & teachers have been a big part of our support system and a blessing to work with. They always make themselves available to discuss our daughter's progress in school, brainstorm ways to best meet her needs and figure out what type of support is needed. We are just thankful to have SFB be a part of our lives and help us create life long learners in our children!

Posted August 12, 2015

Posted August 07, 2015
I have two children attending St. Finn Barr Catholic School and could not feel more confident and reassured in the choice we made. St. Finn Barr is truly a special place. We are a thriving community, with wonderful educators and dedicated parents. Our Principal is incredibly engaging, always available (to students and parents alike) and brings forth a multitude of enrichment opportunities that our students highly benefit from. I feel so fortunate that my children look forward to each new academic year with excitement. This is a reflection of the amazing teachers and staff at St. Finn Barr. Small class size, Spanish language instruction, a robust Science program and a great variety of extracurricular opportunities are just a few highlights of our wonderful school. My children feel nurtured, safe and secure - for this, I am eternally grateful.

Posted August 05, 2015
Like most other parents in San Francisco, my wife and I went all out trying to find the best possible school for our daughter. We toured private, public and Catholic schools. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the bottom line is that we just didn't feel comfortable with the high-priced private schools. We didn't even bother to apply. I guess we felt that they were kind of weird (sorry, that's the only way I can describe it). Public schools were out of the question - even the schools that were difficult to get into. We just weren't interested as we didn't feel that connection we were looking for as parents of our kids. Every single time I toured these schools there was some kind of discipline problem going on or a student acting up in a disrespectful manner. No thanks! We chose St. Finn Barr because their tour blew the other school's tours out of the water. The students were respectful, listening to the teacher, sitting quietly and thus given the opportunity to learn without distractions. This is not to say that we observed a classroom full of brainwashed robots. They appeared genuinely happy in their attentiveness. We were shown a list of high schools where the last 8th grade graduating class were going to attend - all A-List schools. The top selling point for me was that St. Finn Barr students thrived in math and science. I was told that the middle school students scored extremely high on math and science tests. Since then I've been told by all of the parents of graduates of St. Finn Barr that their kids are way ahead of the rest in high school. Our middle school math and science teachers are crazy good. We were so impressed, that St. Finn Barr school was the only school we applied to and thank goodness we were accepted (my wife threatening the principal might have played a small part in our acceptance). The principal, staff and parent community turned out to be very strong. We welcomed a new principal a few years ago and she is really, really good. She pays attention to all of the students developmental needs. One morning we passed by her on the playground and she stopped us to inform us that she was impressed by our sons latest report card and she was specific about which areas he had improved. I was blown away. This is truly a great school, check it out.

Posted October 01, 2014
St. Finn Barr is an amazing school. I have a kindergardener there and we totally love it. Our son loves his daily Spanish, science, and all the new friends he has met. The curriculum is rigorous and nicely embodies a balanced values based education. Kindness, social responsibility, and diversity are all seen at every level. The principal does a terrific job of heading one of the most progressive Catholic schools in San Francisco and does so with grace and aplomb. I am particularly keen on the stability of the school's leadership, safe learning environment, and focus on critical thinking. Truly great for working parents with enriching before (free) and after care (only a few dollars/hour). There is a wide variety of available activities (chess, dance, tennis, health and wellness, athletics leagues-even for k, theatre, guitar, etc that they even escort the little ones to and from. The parent community is very friendly and, in the short time we have been there, welcomed us with open arms. My son looks forward to everyday and quite frankly so do I!

Posted January 12, 2014
Our kids (& their parents) love their school! The principal is amazing: she is energetic, dynamic, personable and has implemented a lot of additional activities for the students. Top 10 great things about SFB: 1) Spanish class & PE teachers are exceptional 2) Music: optional choir, guitar , drum & piano classes 3) Optional activities include chess, hiking, & gardening clubs, tennis, drama & more 4) Emphasis on using technology to supplement the classroom learning. School actively goes after & obtains grant money to implement various technology & improve science 5) Teachers genuinely care about the kids and communicate with parents 6) the SFB church Priest cares about the school 7) the kids are taught to care about others 8) there is a lot of parent involvement and fun activities for the parents (school festival, SF Bulls hockey game night, an awesome & inspiring Christmas concert by the students, horse race night, pancake breakfasts, walk-a-thon & more) 9) the men's club (Dads) raises money for the school and helps at activities 10) everyone at the school (faculty, parents, kids) are a welcoming community.

Posted September 26, 2013
Love this school! I went here for 9 years and now I have both my kids now attending here. The staff here are great and it's like one big family here!

Posted September 26, 2013
St. Finn Barr school is a hidden gem. After touring several elementary schools in San Francisco, my husband and I were overwhelmingly impressed with St. Finn Barr school and knew right away that it was the right place for our son. From the moment we walked in, it was abundantly clear that this is a special place. The principle is young, charismatic and is fully engaged with the students, her staff & the parents. She's also VERY accessible and is always willing to roll up her sleeves and get involved. Although the school is small, the student body is mulit-cultural & socio-economically diverse which is big PLUS in our book. As mentioned, we toured several schools but what really made St. Finn Barr's stand out was how happy and friendly the children are. We see daily how much our son is thriving -not only academically, but emotionally and spiritually. Because the school is small, parent involvement is key to the success of the school. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE pitches in so we can provide the best to our children and to our community. We feel very fortunate to be a part of the caring, nurturing community of St. Finn Barr school. Best, Karen N.

Posted September 26, 2013
I was determine to find the best school for my daughter. So there we were in the hallway when a young, smart looking lady walks up to us and says HI! I am Mele the schools principle, She was full of energy , answered all of our questions, it was obvious that she was happy, excited and most of all loved what she was doing. She made us feel welcomed and at home. We met with the Kindergarten teacher Mrs. O Reily. She has been a Kindergarten teacher for over 30 years and knows her stuff. She seemed to really care about her students. We named St Finn Barr the Hidden Jewel. I have found the school where I feel my daughter will get the best education in a loving and nourishing environment. Because the its so small the parent involvement is super. You will need to make time for meetings and school functions but the parental involvement of the school is one of the reasons we choose to send our child to Catholic school. It feels sort of like a large extended family.My daughter is in kindergarten full day.She is in soccer and receives Spanish class everyday for 45 mintues.There is even after school programs like guitar, piano, or learn Chinese.

Posted November 26, 2012
This is our first year at St. Finn Barr and we love it! The principal is dynamic and filled with lots of enthusiasm and energy that builds a great school community. The teachers do a fabulous job of teaching and are in regular communication with parents about the concepts being learned in the classroom. The parent community has been warm and inviting to us as a new family to the school. There is so much more than just academics at this school, and that is really what makes for a well rounded nurturing environment. If you are looking for a school community were everyone is pulling together to make a "great school", St Finn Barr is it!

St. Finn Barr