Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I rather my son be an average grade student in a demanding school, than a good grade student at a dumb down school. The only thing my son is really learning about, is the difference in the gangs his class mates are sympathizers of. He had C's & D's at Silver Creek n B's & C's here.... That's improvement you would say right? But considering the school has eliminated D's I don't see the difference. The concept is good if every kid was there for the same reason. However, my son is there (his mom's bad judgement) for academic issues, his cousin (the convinient ride to school his mom saw) is there because he has a developmental issue, n the other 75% are struggling because of behavioral issues gangs, drugs, n the likes.... To put it in my perspective, I feel like my son goes to juvenile hall for school, n academics aren't the subject of his learning... If your kid has a developed gang issue this is the school for him to be a gang at leader one day.

Part 1 of 3 01/06/16 My child has been attending DCP High School since freshman year. We are fairly pleased with the school. The positives are: 1) staff that genuinely seems to care about the students; 2) small school and small class environment; 3) teachers reply to parent emails promptly; 4) his/her advisor is great and goes the extra mile; 5) more individualized, personalized help from the teachers and other applicable staff than you find in the typical 2,000+ student high school; 6) for the most part, the students I have seen are fairly well-behaved, although as in any school campus in this day and age, one does hear the occasional foul word; 7) the students have to earn their grade (at least my son does) – it is not just handed out (if you don’t turn in your work or if you do poorly on tests, you will get a “D” or an “F”). The negatives: 1) P.E. is only required for one year; 2) they do not have a gym and P.E. equipment is minimal; 3) many classes do not have textbooks (which I understand also happens nowadays at other public, non-charter schools); 4) there is a revolving door of front office staff, some of whom are rude and do not sound professional; 5) a significant percentage of the teachers are fairly new teachers – which may be a positive, depending on how you look at it; 6) some teachers stay only a couple of years; 7) a very limited course offering – which means that you may have to take a course that you do not like or that is in a subject matter in which you have no talent, due to the fact that there are no other course options to meet graduation and U.C. requirements; 8) people from the public who have no business being on the school grounds come onto the campus to walk, jog, and walk their dogs on the grassy field; considering that the downtown area is replete with mentally ill people who are homeless, as well as with former prisoners who live in downtown motels running around lose, it can present a danger to the kids.

Truthfully, this school lacks "college prep". Yes, they strive to get you into college, but they're not feeding you the details on how to be a student. Most of the students here are immature. You can not learn in a loud and rude environment. I am a student here, regretting the fact that I chose to attend this school. I wish the parents can just visit the students on a school day out of surprise, because they'll be able to see how distracted, rude, and careless the kids are, not just their child. Another thing, we are only passing our classes because the teachers basically feeds us the answers to our finals, allows cheat sheets to be used in the exams, and if the student still have a bad grade, the teacher will tweak the grade by adding extra points that aren't relevant to grades. This does not help the students, it gives us the power to not care and step on our teachers.

I LOVE DCP! I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET MY DAUGHTER ENROLLED IN THIS SCHOOL AFTER GETTING HER OUT OF SANTA CLARA HIGH SCHOOL! IT WAS THE BEST THING THAT I HAVE EVER DONE AS A PARENT. MY DAUGHTER WENT FROM BEING A PROBLEM CHILD WITH ALL F'S TO A 3.0 GRADE POINT AVERAGE STUDENT, WHOM IS INVOLVED IN LEADERSHIP AND SPORTS NOW. KUDOS TO YOU DCP!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! IF SHE WERE STILL AT SANTA CLARA HIGH SHE WOULD NEVER BE WHERE SHE IS TODAY! THANK YOU DCP FOR YOUR DEDICATING AND SUPORRTIVE STAFF! THE STAFF REALLY CARES AT THIS SCHOOL AND IT SHOWS!

My son is finishing his freshman year at DCP. The leadership is very strong, there was a principal change so ignore comment below! I have found the staff to be fully supportive of all kids and families. Lack of ethnic diversity is the only aspect that could be improved.

This is a great school,great students and staff,my only doubt is the principal.I was going to enroll my daughter in the school but the principal didn't attend our appointment.So i went to the school the next day and scheduled another appointment which he also did not attend.He also stated that he had FORGOTEN about my appointment.So my daughter is going to another school now.I really wish he would give my daughter a chance.

Downtown College Prep has been a life saver for my family. DCP transformed our daughter from a lost and misguided student into a college ready positive member of society and a successful college student. College readiness is not a news letter sent home in the second semester of their senior year. It is an ongoing project that includes the students, teachers, guidance counselors and me as a parent. My daughter is currently thriving in college, my younger son is in his second year (sophomore) at DCP, my niece is in her third year (senior) and my youngest is in his second year as a 7th grader at DCP s newest campus in Alviso. With tears I tell my story to any parent who wants to know if this school is right for their child.

I am a student from the class of 07 and currently in college thanks to this school.

I am a student at DCP and the teachers that this school has are the most helpful and caring that i have ever had and seen. The class size is small and all of the teachers are willing to give extra help, even before and after school. It is not only a school, but it is also a strong community

I am a parent of 2 DCP students. It's a great school, I recommend it.

Last modified Downtown College Preparatory School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.