San Jose, CA
Students enrolled: 1,710

Posted March 25, 2015
I'm so happy with Mitty that it provides almost all necessary that my son needs. Academically, it has excellent teachers from English literature to social studies, with regular class or honor class, so both normal students and talented students are happy. Starting from 10th grade, it provides many AP classes with great teachers and enough spaces. Some AP courses and honor classes are very challenging, so students need to be prepared. Fortunately, their counselors are always available in time for recommendations. Mitty also provides a lot of great clubs. My son is very happy to be in two clubs. At Mitty, students are encouraged to manage their time wisely and recommended sleeping early to reduce pressure. Mitty students are very excited about their sports teams. Every day, I saw my child is so happy with great progress from academic, to social communication, to sports, to spirits, I told myself that my son and I made a right decision to choose this school, to have my son continue delivering excellences.

Archbishop Mitty High School 3

Posted July 17, 2014
Like many Catholic learning institutions, Mitty has fallen prey to apathy and a lackluster effort to develop faith formation programs and growth opportunities for the students. With one notable exception, the religion faculty is less than inspiring. The campus ministry program holds little priority on a campus where sports teams and athletic competition drive the culture of student life. Many of the enrichment opportunities at the school are available by lottery only, thereby offering some students multiple opportunities and other students none. The administration is too worried about stepping on toes to step up and address some of these participation limitations for students. I won't send another child to this school.

Archbishop Mitty High School 2

Posted June 23, 2014
As a parent of the student, I'll hit the key points. 1. Administration can be inflexible. Especially to high achieving students (in terms of allowing external courses or attending events not sponsored by the school). They like students sticking to Mitty offering and not branch out. 2. Teaching quality can vary greatly from great to downright poor. Variation between the teaching quality and grading standards from one class (and hence, a teacher) to the next (all at the same level of course, APs or honors) can be shockingly high; Students frequently discuss how it's unquestionably harder to score higher grades with some teachers than others. 3. A positive surprise (in today's world). The values of the student pool is very good (generally speaking). And this is not a trivial one. 4. Too many free slots and little guidence from school on effective usage. 5. If your child's focus is academics, there are likely better private schools out there. If you're into sports, go for it! 6. Library is a joke. 7. Counselors have little time to spare (I thought this was a private school) In summary, you won't regret it. But will certainly question if 16k+ a year could have been better spent.

Posted April 22, 2014
My son is a student at Mitty. He is not a sport kid and still loves the school. Mitty is so much more than its excellent athletics. It has amazing academics and an award winning theater program. The music department has incredible dedicated teachers with opportunities to perform and compete. My son is planning on applying to top tier and ivy league schools and scored amazing on SATs because of his teachers commitment to excellence. He has received so much from this school. They have helped him develop as a person with retreats and community service. Archbishop Mitty is an amazing experience for any kid.

Posted September 10, 2013
Mitty's sports program has an exceptional reputation, however their programs are not any better or different than what one would find at a top tier public school or an average private school. The theater program is a bit above average, but if you're looking for a theater magnet school, Lincoln High School is a better option. Grades are grossly inflated to offset low test scores. The curriculum is far inferior to other high schools in the area, as most money and emphasis is allocated for the sports and theater programs. Most students end up at CSUs despite high GPAs due to poor test scores. If you want your child to go to a top university and do well, I would not recommend sending your child here.

Posted September 08, 2013
I am a Junior at Archbishop Mitty so my opinion is a little biased, however, I have to say that going to Mitty has been one of my best decisions. I love my classes, my teachers, and my fellow classmates. Everyone is extremely respectful, my freshman year, a senior GAVE me lunch money when I was short a dollar for lunch. Our athletics program is simply amazing and in addition our school spirit is simply unmatched. We have tremendous turnouts to all of our events and even during spirit week. I read a review that said that our new Ipad program is harmful, however, being one of the last classes that remembers what it was like before Ipads, I can say that the Ipad program had definitely improved our academic program. We don't have to lug books from class to class and we have an unmatched note taking/homework doing device anywhere we go. We are definitely not "forced" to use the ipads as books, everyone is aware that if you prefer, you may order your own hard copy book and bring it to class. Overall, I love Mitty. I would not be the same focused, driven, and confident person I am today with out Mitty.
2 people found this helpful

Archbishop Mitty High School 2

Posted August 19, 2013
Hyper focuses on athletics and absolutely a school for extroverts. If you want your child to try something new, it's impossible because at Mitty you are expected to be great. That's the saddest thing. Academics seem good, and I think the pace will prepare them for college, BUT the off periods I think are too frequent and perhaps not appropriate for 14-16 year olds. 2 stars because of the price.

Posted June 02, 2013
I felt for many kids and their parents in Mitty. Many of freshmen struggled or dropped from honor / advanced classes all around my child. Many of them were depressed and acted out often. Of course, it puts parents in hell. I am very sure that teachers and school knew about that. Here is my assessment why many children are not doing well in Mitty: 1. overall, less instruction hours compare to public high schools 2. many of teachers are sports coaches 3. distraction from i-Pad, which school forced to children to use as a textbook. However, we (parents) all know, except the school administrators, how harmful i-Pad to our children. I strongly suggest you that do research before you choose Mitty to avoid hardship as many Mitty families went through.

Posted May 02, 2013
My expectations for choosing to commit $15k/yr + for my child's education at Mitty versus a public school were: Superior Academics, Deepening Religious Faith, and Acceptance to a Top University - via College Planning. The results were sub-par at best for the following reasons: 1. Academics was mediocre - many teachers were unavailable outside the classroom due to sports//coaching commitments. Good students had a difficult time excelling in the classrooms given lack of interest on the part of the teachers. My child had a 4.2 GPA and found most teachers disinterested and unresponsive for help. 2. Religious Education was watered down due to appeasing liberal, political correctness interests. In fact, it has damaged my child's desire to continue attending mass with us. 3. College (lack of) Planning Go online, use Naviance and find the colleges of choice. Where's the counselor's independent, honest assessment of where your child is best suited? My child wanted to go to an East Coast school, and even with high scores, the highest level achieved was being accepted into a UC school. AMHS just doesn't' have the gravitas or pull with college admissions directors. Avoid!!!

Posted May 02, 2013
Mitty is a joke. Presents itself as a college prep school, but its a joke. Unless your child is a sport superstar or would make it academically without teacher support your child will be just another number. Most students go to California State University (CSU) or University of California schools (UC). Entrance requirements are GPA's and SAT's. So why spend $15K for something you get at a public school? Teachers are iffy and many are coaches (ie. sports influence).

Archbishop Mitty High School
5000 Mitty Way, San Jose, CA  95129
Last modified Archbishop Mitty High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Archbishop Mitty High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top