Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School

Charter | K-5 | 451 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 6, 2013

The best experience ever, my girl had speech delay and they want to put her in a special class in public school, I refuse, now she is the student of the month in Mateo Sheedy. I understand many parents wants the kids to be enjoying be at sports have fun, but many at the end are left behind on there education. Mateo Sheedy is hard, but the kids develop so great, and I now my girl in the regular school would not have a chance. The teacher come from Teacher of america association, only the best are there, the came from Stanford, or other great universities, is a great school.

Posted November 1, 2012

I have to disagree on the negative things that have been said about this school. This is my daughter's first year at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy in Kindergarten. I can't rave enough about how dedicated the teachers are here. It shows that they really care about the kids. The teachers are very available before & after class, via text or cell. The teachers also do homevisits prior to the beginning of the school year to get to know the child and to hear any parent concerns. The school is very strict and gives a lot of homework, but this is to benefit our children. This school does focus on API scores a lot only because they need to constantly be proving themselves to keep the (little funding they receive) funding going. This school is only for parent's who are willing to do put up with all the homework that is given and for parent's who are willing to participate. Great job Rocketship Rocketeers on your API score of 940!

Posted July 30, 2012

My daughter has been attending Rocketship for 3 years. The first year there were so many things that concerned me but I figured the school was new and they had things to work out. The 2nd year things got a little better and our daughter seemed happy so we let her finish out the year. Her 3rd year which is the year we decided to start looking for a different school made us realize that this is not a school that encourages learning and creative thinking. Rocketship focuses on test scores and test scores only. Literacy and math. All other subjects seem to be irrelevant. Every year the each class puts on a performance either Science or History related but I've yet to see homework packets other than Math or Literacy. We feel that if we pull our child out of Rocketship and place her in a regular public school she will be advanced in Math and Literacy but in all other subjects she would be behind which is really concerning. As far as the staff.....inexperienced. When you meet with the teachers they all seem overwhelmed and very young. My daughter has 2 teachers per day. That's 6 teachers in 3 years and not a single one had more than a couple years of teaching experience.

Posted April 2, 2012

I also felt mixed emotions after enrolling my child here. I reach out to this school looking for high academic achievement, but the whole dynamics of the school put me off. The rules for bathroom use and lunch time are a bit extreme. The school is too small with no green areas at all. My son did not fit here. It just did not feel like a school, but more like a drilling camp. I moved my son to our home school and we continue to have a heavy work load of extra homeschooling in order to keep him challenged. He is seven y/o in 1st grade, yet his reading and math skills are at a 3rd and 5th grade respectably. If you are considering this school you must visit during the normal school hours specially lunch, recess and pick up time.

Posted December 9, 2011

We are in our 2nd year here at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy. I love it and it was the best decision we made for our child. It indeed has a very innovative approach to the learning and development of our children. They have a Math teacher, Language Arts teacher and Learning Lab staff who are all dedicated and are outstanding! The teachers are credentialed or have an emergency credential to teach, despite what has been said. The school has a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Accreditation which means that an investigation has been done by an outside team of Educators and our test scores are true. The school is doing exactly what it says it is. They also know where their weaknesses are and are continually working to improve them. You will find that the teachers are more dedicated than at regular public schools. They are available to us 24/7. I have always been able to communicate with the teachers and administration and always leave knowing the issues have been resolved. If you want the best education for your child I would highly recommend this school!

Posted October 10, 2011

This is my third year as a Rocketship parent. Rocketship has created an innovate approach to learning; different than the traditional school model. I was very excited about the individualized & dynamic learning provided to each of its students. All the Rocketship teachers my son has had are AMAZING and COMMITTED to their student's success; being available by email, cell phone and before/after school. They conduct home visits then meet with parents quarterly to advise them of their child s progress. New teachers bring an energetic enthusiasm to teaching kids. While some may still be gaining experience in teaching, they receive support and structure from Rocketship that creates an successful blend. Any time I have had an issue or concern, I feel comfortable to discuss it with the teachers and administration. They take the time to address and work through the issue to make sure it s explained and/or resolved. Sure, there are "growing pains", as to be expected when implementing a new way of doing things but nothing significant that would overshadow the many great successes that Rocketship has accomplished in the five years since they have been in existence.

Posted August 23, 2011

-I apologized for any orthographic errors since English is not my first Language- I just came back from my second orientation meeting from this school. I am very disappointed. The school has so many penalizations in regards to almost everything. For example; I just found out that if my child goes to the restroom and he returns without his shirt tuck in he will be penalized for it by changing the behavior chart to a red color meaning that he will be losing recess time. Also, if the kids are not at school by 7:55am they will be wearing a lanyard string with a color that shows that they were late. Yes, granted they will also received one that also shows that they were on time. However, I just whish I knew all this before I enroll my child. I totally believe in respect, integrity, discipline, however, to me all this is over the top for a 5 year old child. He starts school next week, and instead of feeling that my son will be safe I feel anxious as a parent.

Posted June 17, 2011

Something is very suspicious about the reviews on this page. I believe the school posted those reviews to bring in business. I have some experience with this school, and it isn't what the reviews below are saying. Most of the teachers have no experience. Many are vague about their teaching credentials. I have my doubts about the scores this school gets. I believe that particular students don't take the test, and that some students are asked to leave before testing. The quality of instruction just isn't very good in my opinion. I believe this school is a farce and that tax payers and parents are being hoodwinked. That is my belief.

Posted April 19, 2011

I have been very impressed with the academic education my kindergarten has received. He is much further than what we had expected and he is already a grade level ahead of the goals set for kindergarteners. The teachers go above and beyond and are very passionate in teaching their students. My older HS/College age children attended private schools and I can say that I have been impressed with the academic achievements my son has attained and Rocketship LS is very comparable to the academic success you would get at a private school.

Posted October 18, 2010

The teachers are passionate about closing the literacy gap and I feel the love my daughter's teachers pass to her which will only enrich her growth academically. At this point my daughter knows all her sounds & letters, and is learning to use the sounds of letters to write. I have seen other kinders do a lot less that are non-Rocketeers. Thank you Rocketship for an awesome journey into my daughter's education!!

Posted April 21, 2010

I believe in their core values: Respect, Responsibility, Persistence, Empathy.

Posted January 2, 2010

This school is extraordinary! Once you walking in the door, everyone is very welcoming and it feels like home. The teachers, prinicpal, parents, and students work together to strive for excellence! It is great to see a school that is focus on college since they are in kindergarten. I am confident that my children will be sucessful in life because of the help and support this school has given the students from the downtown community!!

Posted September 11, 2009

**** FOUR STARS...& COUNTING We are a Rocketship family with two children in attendance. It is nice to be a part of a community, teachers and staff that care as much about our childrens education as we do. The core values, goals and expectations are preparing our children for great things....Attending Rocketship has helped my children realize everything is possible and that the sky is the limit..

Posted March 20, 2009

Our two kids Richard and Izta have been at Rocketship for two years, and their English has greatly improved, they are doing well in Math also. Mr smith is a soldier and a great leader, rain or shine he's always on top of things. His dedication is second to none and it shows.

Posted October 25, 2008

This is my son first year in Rocketship. He is in fourth grade. I'm just so happy to see that he is now doing his homework by himself and showing much responsible in his work. When I came by to pickup my son from school, I've seen so much teamwork in the classroom. Classmates were very friendly and well respect. His teachers work long hour and are always available after school for assistance. Do expect lots of homework.

Posted October 22, 2008

This school has been the best for my grandkids. The kids are actually learning alot and it doesn't stop with just the lesson plans but it also gives the students resposibility, respect, and self esteem that they can suceed no matter what they are. I take pride and proud to be a grandparent of Rocketeers kids.

Posted September 10, 2008

This is my child's Tamia Devereaux second year at Rocketship and we love the staff and students. Mr. Smith is a very supportive principle to all students. There should be more like him. I wish they had sixth grade so my older child could attend. This is the best public school that I have came across in San Jose.

Posted August 27, 2008

My nephews and niece go to rocketship here in San Jose Ca. Before they started going here they were really behind in their studies and really didn't know anything. The boys started first grade her and learned so much in only a month it was amazing. My sister will be attending this year and we know there will be great success for her here instead of the schools in our neighborhood. Rocketship teachers cacre about the kids, they take the time to contact parents when something is wrong or just to tell them about the improvement the child has made. They have great activities for the kids to do as a school, like having the parents paint a mural at the school building with the kids handprints. they require parent participation and go on field trips on weekends so the whole family can participate. It is a great school!

Posted April 18, 2008

This school has really been a positive impact for my son. He is proud to be a Rocketship Rocketer

This school's

-73

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students62%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 89%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Language learning

School start time
  • 8:00 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:20 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
  • Vietnamese
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • None

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Washington Elementary School
Lowell Elementary School
Gardner Elementary School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
KIPP Heartwood Academy