Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2014
I'm reviewing our initial experience which includes orientation and 1st 2 weeks of Kinder. Before school began, a Welcome Back Park Day was held to meet/greet new teachers. Orientation can be improved by having a Question/Answer session afterwards. I like that a mock 1st day was held only for Kinders. They have a bathroom only to themselves. No other grades are permitted to use it during school hours. The teacher visited us at our home and is available by email/cell/text. She responds ASAP. Lessons are catered to each child's needs. My child so far loves the teacher and school. Teachers / principal are very involved, communicative and energetic. We are greeted virtually every morning with hi-spirited Good Mornings! Very available to parents' questions. High energy level across the board. Principal shows positive leadership and pride in school. Parent involvement is encouraged. I start next week. I would give this school 5 stars if it had shorter days. Bell schedule is 7:50 to 3:50 for all grades. Minimum days end at 1:50. I'm not sure how creative thinking and innovation is encouraged. I was told this is done through the Enrichment program. I will be exploring this further.

Posted February 06, 2013
The best experience ever, my girl had speech delay and they want to put her in a special class in public school, I refuse, now she is the student of the month in Mateo Sheedy. I understand many parents wants the kids to be enjoying be at sports have fun, but many at the end are left behind on there education. Mateo Sheedy is hard, but the kids develop so great, and I now my girl in the regular school would not have a chance. The teacher come from Teacher of america association, only the best are there, the came from Stanford, or other great universities, is a great school.

Posted November 01, 2012
I have to disagree on the negative things that have been said about this school. This is my daughter's first year at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy in Kindergarten. I can't rave enough about how dedicated the teachers are here. It shows that they really care about the kids. The teachers are very available before & after class, via text or cell. The teachers also do homevisits prior to the beginning of the school year to get to know the child and to hear any parent concerns. The school is very strict and gives a lot of homework, but this is to benefit our children. This school does focus on API scores a lot only because they need to constantly be proving themselves to keep the (little funding they receive) funding going. This school is only for parent's who are willing to do put up with all the homework that is given and for parent's who are willing to participate. Great job Rocketship Rocketeers on your API score of 940!

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 2

Posted July 30, 2012
My daughter has been attending Rocketship for 3 years. The first year there were so many things that concerned me but I figured the school was new and they had things to work out. The 2nd year things got a little better and our daughter seemed happy so we let her finish out the year. Her 3rd year which is the year we decided to start looking for a different school made us realize that this is not a school that encourages learning and creative thinking. Rocketship focuses on test scores and test scores only. Literacy and math. All other subjects seem to be irrelevant. Every year the each class puts on a performance either Science or History related but I've yet to see homework packets other than Math or Literacy. We feel that if we pull our child out of Rocketship and place her in a regular public school she will be advanced in Math and Literacy but in all other subjects she would be behind which is really concerning. As far as the staff.....inexperienced. When you meet with the teachers they all seem overwhelmed and very young. My daughter has 2 teachers per day. That's 6 teachers in 3 years and not a single one had more than a couple years of teaching experience.

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 1

Posted April 02, 2012
I also felt mixed emotions after enrolling my child here. I reach out to this school looking for high academic achievement, but the whole dynamics of the school put me off. The rules for bathroom use and lunch time are a bit extreme. The school is too small with no green areas at all. My son did not fit here. It just did not feel like a school, but more like a drilling camp. I moved my son to our home school and we continue to have a heavy work load of extra homeschooling in order to keep him challenged. He is seven y/o in 1st grade, yet his reading and math skills are at a 3rd and 5th grade respectably. If you are considering this school you must visit during the normal school hours specially lunch, recess and pick up time.

Posted December 09, 2011
We are in our 2nd year here at Rocketship Mateo Sheedy. I love it and it was the best decision we made for our child. It indeed has a very innovative approach to the learning and development of our children. They have a Math teacher, Language Arts teacher and Learning Lab staff who are all dedicated and are outstanding! The teachers are credentialed or have an emergency credential to teach, despite what has been said. The school has a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Accreditation which means that an investigation has been done by an outside team of Educators and our test scores are true. The school is doing exactly what it says it is. They also know where their weaknesses are and are continually working to improve them. You will find that the teachers are more dedicated than at regular public schools. They are available to us 24/7. I have always been able to communicate with the teachers and administration and always leave knowing the issues have been resolved. If you want the best education for your child I would highly recommend this school!

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 4

Posted October 10, 2011
This is my third year as a Rocketship parent. Rocketship has created an innovate approach to learning; different than the traditional school model. I was very excited about the individualized & dynamic learning provided to each of its students. All the Rocketship teachers my son has had are AMAZING and COMMITTED to their student's success; being available by email, cell phone and before/after school. They conduct home visits then meet with parents quarterly to advise them of their child s progress. New teachers bring an energetic enthusiasm to teaching kids. While some may still be gaining experience in teaching, they receive support and structure from Rocketship that creates an successful blend. Any time I have had an issue or concern, I feel comfortable to discuss it with the teachers and administration. They take the time to address and work through the issue to make sure it s explained and/or resolved. Sure, there are "growing pains", as to be expected when implementing a new way of doing things but nothing significant that would overshadow the many great successes that Rocketship has accomplished in the five years since they have been in existence.

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School 1

Posted June 17, 2011
Something is very suspicious about the reviews on this page. I believe the school posted those reviews to bring in business. I have some experience with this school, and it isn't what the reviews below are saying. Most of the teachers have no experience. Many are vague about their teaching credentials. I have my doubts about the scores this school gets. I believe that particular students don't take the test, and that some students are asked to leave before testing. The quality of instruction just isn't very good in my opinion. I believe this school is a farce and that tax payers and parents are being hoodwinked. That is my belief.

Posted April 19, 2011
I have been very impressed with the academic education my kindergarten has received. He is much further than what we had expected and he is already a grade level ahead of the goals set for kindergarteners. The teachers go above and beyond and are very passionate in teaching their students. My older HS/College age children attended private schools and I can say that I have been impressed with the academic achievements my son has attained and Rocketship LS is very comparable to the academic success you would get at a private school.

Posted October 18, 2010
The teachers are passionate about closing the literacy gap and I feel the love my daughter's teachers pass to her which will only enrich her growth academically. At this point my daughter knows all her sounds & letters, and is learning to use the sounds of letters to write. I have seen other kinders do a lot less that are non-Rocketeers. Thank you Rocketship for an awesome journey into my daughter's education!!

Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School
788 Locust Street, San Jose, CA  95110
Last modified Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rocketship Mateo Sheedy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews.