Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Baldwin Elementary School is a great and diverse small school in South San Jose : parents, kids, teachers and staff all seem happy each day. Having a good atmosphere at a school cannot be underestimated : it faciliates learning and makes kids not want to miss a single day of school. My daughter had the good fortune of attending Mrs Piazza's kindergarten classroom and it has been a fantastic educational experience. While there is plenty of room for improvement and based on my dauther's experience so far at , I would rate Baldwin Elementary School at 9/10. I highly recommend kindergarten at Baldwin Elementary and I look forward to another great academic year at this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The vast majority of my son's class was proficient in reading and writing in January. I have no doubt that every student in his class with be at or above grade level by the end of the year.

Amount of homework: Agree

As an educator myself, I am not in favor of thick packets of mindless worksheets being sent home for students to complete. Baldwin works kids rigorously during the day but leaves homework more open-ended with a heavy emphasis on reading. Students are also encouraged to use the online math and literacy programs, Dreambox, Razkids and iReady which allow students to practice at their individual ability level making for more meaningful time spent instead of some packet of worksheets.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school's motto states that Baldwin students are respectful, responsible and safe. Students are not only well taught as to what these terms mean but are rewarded with panther purrs whenever they demonstrate these principles. As far as I have seen this has always been done very positively and fairly.

My family moved to South San Jose at the very beginning of the school year and I was apprehensive at first to send my kindergartener to Baldwin based on reviews from this site and elsewhere. My fears were quickly abated after meeting my son's excellent teacher, the principal and other Baldwin parents. This school has a staff that is dedicated and caring and goes far beyond the requirements for their job in order to make sure students are provided a rigorous education, have enriching activities and are well cared for. The sense of community on campus is growing as both parents and staff are very welcoming and inviting. My suggestion is not to form an opinion of a school before you have seen it for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised, as we were!

I've been pleasantly impressed with my experience at Baldwin. Although all of the negative reviews and outdated API scores, mid-range rankings gave me pause - I must say that the actual on-the-ground experience has been incredibly positive. The staff goes above and beyond to teach and mentor students. My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Piazza has blown me away - an amazing communicator, teacher, and caring person. She gave an impressive Early Literacy talk at Back to School night - and all of the students were proficient readers and writers by January. The campus facilities have been renovated and improved throughout the past few years. New parking lot, improvements to classrooms and beautiful murals!! We also have a budding parent community that is really improving things at school. If you are considering this school - know that you have an opportunity to join a community where students are valued and you can really get involved to make a difference.

I believe any school can be successful and positive depending on how you invest yourself into it. My family has had a good experience in all of our years at Baldwin. My youngest is now a sixth grader and I have been a Baldwin parent since my 15 year old was a preschooler. My kids love Baldwin and that is what is most important to me. They have gotten good educations, they have gotten good support from the Baldwin staff and we have enjoyed being a part of the Baldwin community.

We are almost finished with our first year at Baldwin School my son is currently in Mrs. Piazza's Kinder class and prior to attending I was nervous mainly due to some of the below comments. However, my experience at Baldwin has been fantastic!! My son is currently at a first grade reading level (probably even higher since our meeting with his teacher) and is really enjoying his time there. Mrs. Millner is extremely open and helpful with any questions or concerns that I have brought to her attention. I also have met some amazing families within the community. We are looking forward to many years to come and hope to have an even stronger community here at Baldwin!

The principal is awful doesn't interact with the parents or students. If you can get a district transfer do it. Some teachers are great others not that great.

My two kids started kindergarten this year and I am very happy with this school. Mrs Butera, Mrs. Nilson, and Mrs Jimenez are wonderful teachers. They use various strategies to teach curriculum. Kids get math homework, English reading for every night. In addition to the work done in the class enrichment opportunities are available through their online resources "Dream Box" and " Raz kids". Before my kids started Baldwin I was bit skeptical about this school because of its rating but I am very happy. Principal Mrs.Millner is also very approachable and nice.

Last modified Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.