San Jose, CA

Posted July 15, 2015
The principal is awful doesn't interact with the parents or students. If you can get a district transfer do it. Some teachers are great others not that great.

Posted March 10, 2015
My two kids started kindergarten this year and I am very happy with this school. Mrs Butera, Mrs. Nilson, and Mrs Jimenez are wonderful teachers. They use various strategies to teach curriculum. Kids get math homework, English reading for every night. In addition to the work done in the class enrichment opportunities are available through their online resources "Dream Box" and " Raz kids". Before my kids started Baldwin I was bit skeptical about this school because of its rating but I am very happy. Principal Mrs.Millner is also very approachable and nice.

Posted March 09, 2015
Echoing the concerns about the principal and the overpopulation. I have twins, both in the same TK class. We've been having lots of issues with the TK teacher & concerns are not being addressed by the principal or the district. 1. TK has so many kids that teacher can't keep up & is forced to resort to reacting to bad behavior rather than promoting good behavior. 2. The nursing staff can't/won't deliver first aid or even help with a simple bathroom accident. 3. There are many security & safety concerns failing to be addressed by the principal as well -- bathroom policy (kids getting locked outside during class), what to do in the event of a shooter on campus, etc 4. Our kids are backsliding and the TK teacher is encouraging it. Son is told to use right hand to write, even though he's left-handed (illegal). Daughter is told she can't read well (she's at a 1st grade level, she just gets lazy in class). More issues than this, but I've hit the character limit. This school is not a great place for younger children to spend their days. It seems that the issues we've experienced aren't as pronounced for some of the older classes. I'll be glad when my kids start at Ledesma next year.

Posted August 26, 2014
This school is overpopulated and the teachers are put in a very difficult position. The School principal does not have a plan and does not care about parents concerns.. The school's web page has no current information and phones always send you to voice mail. This school is the worst school in the Distric. Avoid it.

Posted June 05, 2013
I moved my son from a private school to Baldwin last Fall. He's in 2nd grade. He has had the best teacher so far here at Baldwin. Very helpful, guides the students well towards high academic goals, very creative and hard-working. She has spent so much time with my son after school to make sure he turns in his work. My son isn't the easiest kid to work with. He doesn't like doing worksheets. Over time, with his teacher's help and diligence, my son turned around and improved academically. My son has focus issues so he's not the easiest kid to work with. His teacher really went above and beyond in communicating our son's progress to us. We're very lucky to have found such a caring teacher, his principal and the community overall. The school really appreciates parent's involvement. The home school club is also a very helpful set of parents working together to continue improving the school. I have never gotten this from the private schools. I hope more and more parents get involved with their kids.

Posted May 14, 2013
This school doesn't have the staff or budget to teach children. Each year I donate $500 or more in supplies. I don't mind the buying of supplies but my daughter falls more and more behind each year. Classes are chaos with almost 30 students per class and no aids. The principle's solution to this is uniforms because normal clothes distract children. I hate switching my daughter's school but it has to be done. "Julia Baldwin students are bound for college." But only if they don't need any extra help with learning.

Posted February 28, 2013
My child's kindergarten teacher is awesome! Not only does the teacher make sure children are ready academically, but also helps them make good decisions. I was told that the teachers do Positive Behavior Intervention Support. She was reading at level one before November. My child's teacher is patient with the different children's stage of development and abilities. I have observed other teachers and they are consistent with their expectations. I watched an assembly today and saw the principal encourage respect, responsibility and safety in between students groups' transitions. I am glad my child is here. They even have a preschool starting at age 3. Some afterschool activities include Young Rembrandts for grades 1-6, the Academy for children who need support with literacy, and ballet folklorico for the Cinco de Mayo festival. I was told the school has a basketball team in the spring. We are proud to be a Panther family! After school activity buses are available if the child is regularly bussed into school. The school staff, including the school secretary, health clerk and yard duty is amazing! There is a home and school club, site council, Latino and Koffee Klatch for parents.

Posted December 16, 2012
Baldwin is a very good school with caring and supportive staff. My son has been attending this school since kindergarten and is now in third grade. He simply loves it !

Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School 3

Posted September 15, 2011
Read the review below and feel compelled to respond. First, it's a South San Jose School, not Los Gatos or Campbell were money flows freely, but where ethnic minorities can barely make their mortgages and do not, often, contribute to their child's education . Ever heard the phrase "Focus Student"? If you feel the school needs more money, make a financial contribution to your child's classroom and make a difference. If you feel the school needs supplies, donate supplies to your child's classroom and make a difference. How about donating your time in the class and on the playground. Now we're talking. Takes very little effort to complain. Takes more effort to become involved/engaged and this is what really matters. A parent who is actively involved at school is demonstrating to their child the importance of education; they're leading by example. Do ALL parents know the standards for their child progressing to the next grade level and are they actively involved in their child reaching this level? If you are not aware of these standards and are not actively working with your child's teacher on them at every grade level, you are on a long/difficult trip w/ an unknown destination!

Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School 2

Posted September 13, 2011
I was excited for my son to go to Baldwin. Unfortunately that excitement turned to disappointment after he started. We liked his teacher but she has 28 students and no teachers aid. We felt like we were going back wards from what we had in his preschool. He was bored. The majority of his class mates did not know the alphabet, numbers or how to write their names. I blame the parents for that but in a class of almost 30 students he was not getting the attention we wanted him to get. It seems like this school is stuck in a rut. They need new ideas to bring in funds, supplies, and get some teachers aids for goodness sakes. The teacher student ratio is just sad IMHO. I think they need to look at the "Charter School" models for ideas on how to better run this school more efficiently. We felt compelled to remove him from this school and place him some where that was going to give him the attention and stimulation he craved and that is exactly what we did. I know of 3 other parents from his class who felt the same and believe me this is a toned down review. Sorry Baldwin there is much room for improvement.

Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School
280 Martinvale Lane, San Jose, CA  95119
Last modified Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Baldwin (Julia) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top