San Jose, CA

Posted April 20, 2015
In my opinion, this is one of the worst schools my daughter has been to. We are originally from Clovis Unified in the central valley, so when we moved here to san jose, she knew nobody. The kids at this school dont seem to know how or when to be nice. She has always loved going to school, but since we moved, she doesnt want to go. My daughter comes home crying all day. I have talked to both the teacher and principle about the issue, but they dont seem to care. My daughter loves everyone(shes 7 years old, in 2nd grade now) and has never had an issue being mean to other students. She started telling me shortly after starting at Miner that the other students pick on her, and the tacher never has time to talk to her about things going on. I will be moving her schools real soon.

Posted April 30, 2014
So pleased with this school. Warm responsive teachers, administration, and staff. Wonderful improvements in extra programs and innovative teaching methods. My children are loving school again and scoring higher than ever.

Miner (George) Elementary School 4

Posted April 01, 2014
The teachers are awesome at this school. They care and keep you informed. The Principal & office staff show real care and concern for the students needs. The Parent Involvement really needs some work. The Home and School Club does the best they can, but would prosper and be a lot more successful if more parents made the effort of donating their time, talents, and resources. As a parents myself who did not feel she had anything to offer, there are many things that you can do to help. I challenge parents to step out of their comfort zone, and help this school go from a great to a awesome.

Posted July 05, 2013
Man I can't tell you how good this school is my son is going to be in sixth grade this year and he is doing fantastic! He has gotten straight A's 5 times in a row. Also he participates in the program G.A.T.E he has dissected an eye and a heart!!

Miner (George) Elementary School 3

Posted November 13, 2009
my 6 yr old daughter in grade 1 is fantastic doing--basically since she herself by hard work is very advanced in reading math writing --just that her teacher is quite encouraging to her--so she quite likes school.

Posted February 01, 2008
As a prior substitute teacher at this school, I am both saddened and appalled at the atmosphere and the administrative staff at Miner. The lesson plans were unstimulating and filled with worksheets. The administrative staff was unresponsive to requests for help and the office staff was often rude. The students were bright, but clearly lacked a positive environment which showed in how they treated the staff and each other. My son was supposed to attend this school and I am so glad I headed the advice to get him into another school.

Miner (George) Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2007
I would say overall the school is okay... Not really nothing to write home about. I've seen better schools and a principal who is available to speak with you when need to be. The staff is not that helpful at times, however, I notice the school lacks the ability to take charge when it comes to disciplining the students. They 'push back' to the parents whenever they can't resolve a problem. Children act out... young children like to test the water and up to you to prove to them you are not a push over. The miner staff does not know how to do that. So they like to tell you your child has problems as way for not dealing with whatever problems they are having at school or just overall in the classroom. There is a lot of 'blame' game going on.

Posted August 15, 2007
The academics taught and teachers are outstanding. I know my child is gaining more than a typical school year. All teachers are very dedicated and approachable. A very high quality public education with a focus of cultural appreciation.

Miner (George) Elementary School 3

Posted May 30, 2007
This is our first child's, first year in Kindergarten. I was really worried, but it has been a pleasant experience from the Kindergarten side of the school. Kindergarten teachers are absolutely incredible, I know all 4 of them.

Posted January 19, 2006
This school is full of ineffective administrators. The principal never returns calls and doesn't enable you to discuss your children's issues. The curriculum is behind other schools in the Bay Area. Children are allowed to pummell other children with no reprecussions for their actions. The teachers take a 'let's all be friends and don't hurt each other's feelings' attitude instead of taking actions against the bullies and protecting the other children. This school feels it does not need to notify parents in the case of a 'Code Blue' alarm in which the school is locked down because of a threat to the children (maniac outside with a gun, car accident, or whatever it happens to be). I feel that the parents should know when our children are at risk, unfortunately Miner School does not think the same way. I have had nothing but problems with this school.

Miner (George) Elementary School
5629 Lean Avenue, San Jose, CA  95123
Last modified Miner (George) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Miner (George) Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top