Posted October 23, 2014
Im currently a 7th grader and i absolutely love this school. i have had problems of my own and when the school found out, they got help for me right away! i was crying a lot at the time but it made me feel batter about myself and i have great friends who are always there for me. i am i the band program and i have excelled rapidly and i love it i went to la with the band last year and i was like one of the only sixth graders because it was hard for the younger kids to get into a advanced elective but i enjoyed it sooooo much that i have to go again! i now am in jazz and im learning a lot from our famous band teacher Mr. bowman!!! the reveiws will say that there is gangs but honestly there arent gangs but there are kids that just dont follow the rules. just stay away from them.

Castillero Middle School 1

Posted July 22, 2014
Personally I think this school is how you say TERRIBLE! Its filled with a bunch of jugdemental white kids who make fun of others for being different! The teachers are mean especially the gym teachers. And the school is way to strict with their dress code. They wont even let you were a V neck even with a tank top under it! The kids judge eachother on looks. Like if you don't have an IPhone or a Jansport backpack you aren't popular! Also its filled with backstabbing friends who ditch you just to hang out with the popular kids. The only way you can survive at that school is if you join a gang or become popular! Or sometimes even both! Other schools should know not to be like Castillero! The thing i like about this school is that they have PE and hallway lockers! The school could improve in so many ways like the school food should be more nutricious, the dress code should be way way way less strict and like i said the kids should be watched carefully. For example if you see a girl run off crying to the bathroom follow her and find out what happened!

Posted June 12, 2014
This school is amazing! People often judge it by its low API scores scores and say that it is because of bad teaching, but that's not the case! The teachers are all awesome and are passionate about teaching, but it's only the kids who don't care about learning and education that make this school seem bad. The arts program is the best you could ever have at a public school, and it helps all students to find their talents and interests, so that all kids fit in. CHOOSE CASTILLERO IT'S THE BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!

Posted September 26, 2013
Castillero is a good middle school with excellent electives like Art, Music and Spanish. The teachers are passionate in the electives. Others are there out of tenure for core subjects. There math program is lacking judging by how my daughter struggled in high school. On the whole it is a good school but recommend you work with your kids on their weaknesses to shore up their strengths in preparation for high school. The principal is not that good, seems to have attitude issues. They have a large number of vice principals who mostly run the school.

Castillero Middle School 2

Posted September 18, 2013
Horrible school if a student has no interest in the arts; if the arts are a passion, the electives are fantastic. The advanced math classes are also great and leave students well prepared for high school. On the other hand, the science classes do not prepare for high school in any way, shape, or form. The language arts classes teach to the lowest common denominator; if a student's reading level is advanced for their grade, they will be ignored in class. There are pervasive issues with gangs, fights, and bullying. School is overcrowded.

Posted September 04, 2013
My son was dreading going to Castillero since he had heard about the bullying and poor leadership/academics. We did look at moving but it didn't work out so we decided to give the school a chance. Yes, they bus in a lot of kids and there is an emphasis on the arts. I don't agree with every policy and am not happy that the kids have to avoid any blue or red on their body (clothes, shoes, bags, etc) since they are gang colors. The school is so overcrowded, they need to have one way hall hallways! That said, my son is felling very comfortable at the school. He got a full year science and 7th grade math class which should push him academically. He was placed in Orchestra, as did many of his friends, even thought they didn't request it, but he's really enjoying learning the violin. Castillero has good sports programs in progress and planned (soccer, flag football, basketball, etc) which he loves. My son really likes his teachers and is enjoying the experience. Only a few weeks into the school year but so far it's been positive for a family that was so concerned that we were willing to sell our house and move to another middle school. I'll update this review after a few months.

Castillero Middle School 3

Posted May 02, 2013
This is our "home" school and if you're child is not into the arts you are a total outsider. I find the school to be lacking in science and math. They school is too overcrowded and buses in students from other parts of the city. I understand the need for this magent, but feel they should balance out the core studies. Its very easy for a child to slide by here, big disappointment.

Castillero Middle School 2

Posted January 28, 2013
I went to Castillero and found the classes lacking,no sense of community and tolerance. It's way too crowded. I was involved in the choirs and it wasn't that great. If I could I would have went to another middle school.

Posted January 19, 2013
I just returned from my daughter's orchestra concert, and as always I come away from a Castillero event thinking, "Parents would expect to pay thousands of dollars in tuition if this were a private school!" Castillero has 6 bands, 5 orchestras, 5 choirs, a full time drama teacher, a full time dance teacher and 3 full time art teachers. Every child gets 1 1/2 electives per year (2 1/2 if your child takes 0 period). My daughters had in dance, band, orchestra, drama and art. Everything except dance was fantastic. The school has very little bullying because everyone has their arts niche where they feel comfortable, talented and happy. When my daughter graduated she wept, "I can't leave band! They are my brothers and sisters!" The school sacrifices 1 semester of science each year to get in an extra elective, but I consider it completely worthwhile. As in every school there are strong and weak teachers in every subject. Math, science, social studies and language arts could all use improvements here and there, but overall it is an amazing school and I know our family will be grateful for the rest of our lives that our daughters were able to attend.

Posted October 21, 2012
Castillero has excellent music, drama and art programs and offers high school courses like algebra 1 and geometry for students advanced In mathematics.

Castillero Middle School
6384 Leyland Park Drive, San Jose, CA  95120
Last modified Castillero Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Castillero Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top