Posted April 03, 2014
This is my daughter's last year at Hoover and we will be missing it. I have to say that our experience here has been nothing but positive. The teachers are great and will always make time to communicate with you about anything. The adminstrative staff is excellent. The best part about Hoover is the performing arts program. All programs, choir, band, dance, drama, ect are at a professional level and very entertaining. This school helps turn kids love of the arts into special talents. Parent involvement is very high in the arts, sports and academics which is why this school has improved so much in it's API scores and overall. I would recommend this school to any parent that has an incoming 6th grader.

Herbert Hoover Middle School 3

Posted August 14, 2013
I am a student at Hoover and I like the involvement. I am a college level advanced student and the advanced math program is great! Also I am in intermediate orchestra and started beginning orchestra in elementary school. The staff are very competent and engaged in our learning. We have a strong 8th grade Leadership force that are smart and supportive, not mean and "popular" like some Leadership councils at other schools. It could use more sports opportunities though. And while the curriculum is great, some eighth grade students can sometimes encourage drug use. I think the only issue is some of the students.

Posted June 27, 2013
my son go there this is a great school i love the teachers Hoover is a great school. The prinicpal and teachers are wonderful

Herbert Hoover Middle School 2

Posted October 09, 2012
They didn't let me wear a pink backpack with hello kitty on it because it was pink. Apparently it's a gangster color,and the next day I see some other girl with the SAME backpack walk right by my teacher who said pink wasn't allowed. The teacher even said hi to her.

Posted August 12, 2012
Hoover is fantastic! We love it-my kids feel safe and there are alot of activities for them to participate in. My daughter was elected to the student council and was placed in the advanced drama class. The performing arts simply can't be beat-excellent!

Posted May 28, 2012
This school is great. My kids love the drama classes and have made so many new friends. The teachers are responsive and they have fun weekend trips and activities to participate in. The surrounding community is so nice and safe-I don't mind my kids walking!

Posted April 10, 2012
I went to this school for only 6th grade. about 7 years ago. I used to always complain about the schooling system in San Jose, I disliked that we had to swim even on rainy days or else we'd get ocs. on campus suspension. I moved to Pittsburg, Ca. Everything is way worse. Low budget so there is no dancing, cooking, foreign language, computer skills, no swimming pool, no sports! not really any electives. 8th grade a lot of kids still had difficulty with multiplying. students were barely learning things i had learned in 4th grade! so now i appreciate schools in San Jose. Teachers would challenge us more. Now all my old friends from hoover are at ucsd, uc berkeley, ucla, meanwhile all my friends in pittsburg are at community college and if theyre lucky some not known state college that accepts almost anybody with atleast a 2.0. That is the lucky ones. most are pregnant with 2 kids already, they or their spouse have been to jail already, no hopes of going back to school or ever getting a job.

Herbert Hoover Middle School 1

Posted November 25, 2011
Reviewing sites listing API scores, I see that Hoover has the lowest API scores of any middle school in San Jose. For parents who have children there, I'm wondering: What's good? And what's not? For students who excel at math, science, and reading and writing, are they going to be bored and unchallenged? My experience with the gifted and talented program in SJUSD is that it's all for show.

Posted July 29, 2011
This school has really made my daughter stand out and discover her talents. She didn't like to be in the spotlight before attending here; but because of the performing arts program, she has really improved her confidence and poise. She has made a lot of friends also. Thanks to the great staff and administration!

Posted March 06, 2011
this school has improved a lot much more. i can see it's trying to challenge more students to become successful in life.

Herbert Hoover Middle School
1635 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA  95126
Last modified Herbert Hoover Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herbert Hoover Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews.