Posted August 28, 2013
" if child has learning problems they do npot look at IP." Submitted by a parent As a student who has had an IEP and now a 504, I have been contacted each year for a meeting. If I talk to my teachers, they will help meet my needs in anyway the document allows. I have never had an issue with my 504 at Willow Glen High.

Posted February 14, 2013
I reviewed this school when my daughter was a sophomore. Now she is a junior at University. She took some AP classes at WGHS and was a good student but I did worry and wonder whether she was really being prepared for college. You don't really know until they get there. So, now I know. I would say that she was well prepared in terms of language arts and science - because of the AP classes, perhaps? She got short-changed on the math. She's been short-changed in math since middle-school. I believe this is probably because teachers are not paid enough to attract enough good mathematicians to the profession. Perhaps, also, because of the persistent prejudice against girls in math. I don't blame the school or anyone in particular. My daughter is finally in calculus and doing okay-it's been a long haul. All in all, I'd say WGHS is a good school - as good as they can be under all the circumstances. One of the biggest plusses is the small, but very active group of parents who are so involved in the extracurricular activities. With the terrible funding of public schools parents have to be involved. You especially have to stay connected to your kid - that is where the rubber meets the road.

Willow Glen High School 1

Posted August 25, 2012
There can be "NO TOLERANCE" when it comes to the safety of our children... NONE.... The world is crazy and if the threat was real, the casulites would be unmentionable.. but thank God it wasnt.The staff and administrators are big on pushing "NO TOLREANCE" on our kids and force feeding these idealogies. But when the shoe is on the other foot, incidents gets sweeped under the rug, no communcaition, 2nd and even 4th hands reports, no organizations, and no leaderships.... Where was the Sports Director, and all these other administrators? Why wasnt the football program canceled... MONEY or did the safe with a "NO TOLREANCE" take the back seat to money. What a disgrace from a school that lives in a glass house.

Posted April 28, 2011
Not ready to rate yet, my daughter is coming into WGHS as a junior coming from private school. I am actually impressed with the smaller feel of the school. She is recommended to take AP classes to stay challenged and that is something we did not have at our past school unless you were an A++ student. So I am looking for great things of my daughter. It is our neighborhood school and I feel good about it since I pay taxes on it! Willow Glen High School was one of the best High schools around in the 1970's they had metal shop, great athletics, home economic classes,sewing, they had a car fix it program where did these go?

Posted July 17, 2010
I have to give this school some credit - for a public school in a mediocre district it's pretty good. I have problems with the public school system so I have lots of gripes BUT I'll start by saying that my kid likes this school; that is saying quite a lot. She's an honor student but not interested in the whole sports/govenment/spirit thing but still feels like she's part of a big family. I know some of the teachers and they are real humans who are very committed to the kids and the kids feel it. They work like dogs. The college and careers counseling is outstanding. The administration is approachable-you can work with them. Don't expect perfection but as these things go the school is not bad. Remember this is a big government institution - adjust your expectations accordingly.

Posted August 31, 2009
In response to the person who posted on August 29, I would say that the Principal is actually extremely accessible and responsive to parent requests. I can imagine that she is overloaded with beginning-of-the-school-year requests, so I would counsel patience and persistence in contacting her. As for Auto and Metal Shop, those are available through CCOC (Central Country Occupational Center), and many WG students take advantage of those and other classes such as Veterinary Technology. They can even take a bus from the WGHS campus to and from CCOC. And I know for a fact that they work very hard to help students with learning problems. I'm sorry that you've had these experiences, but I would encourage you to try again. We have a Senior and a Freshman and have been thoroughly pleased with their experiences.

Willow Glen High School 0

Posted August 29, 2009
principal is hard to reach. electives there are none no auto shop or metel shop to teach student to work with there hands if child has learning problems they do npot look at IP.

Willow Glen High School 0

Posted May 01, 2009
My daughter is a Senior and is vey happy at WGH. I would agree with some of the comments made by other parents about team spirit a strong point at WGH. I would also like to mention Mr. Gallegos. I have had the opportunity to speak with him on a couple of occassions, and I believe he is doing a great job. Lastly, communication between parents and teacher could be better. Sincerely, CH

Posted March 29, 2009

Posted January 14, 2009

Willow Glen High School
2001 Cottle Avenue, San Jose, CA  95125
Last modified Willow Glen High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Willow Glen High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top