K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Our experience was they hired a just-out-of-college Kindergarten teacher, they could not further assist that teacher in a class that was doubling in size, and when issues were brought to administration and we eventually left, they only said it was a personal issue with our kid and not a problem that they contributed to. The small group was 10:1 when my kid attended and as the small school environment gets bigger every year, the idea that your child will get any individualization in their education will be faint. The principal seems like a nice man but does not seem to be able to affect any change since the owner/CEO appears to have a hand in every part of the school. She was at parent teacher conferences and would speak for the young teacher even though she herself has had no teaching experience herself. Although many are college educated, we found most of the teachers were quite young and so they have dealt with staff turnover issues. We were not satisfied and am glad to have our child now in a small public school with teachers with real experience and training as well as accountability in education. After committing your children to a school through 8th grade, will you be certain they will be well prepared to compete with the other students of differing education in all surrounding private and public schools? Private schools have no actual accountability for what they are teaching the kids, it is at the discretion of each organization. For us, we have decided that we would rather do what we can to purchase a home in a nicer area with better public schools after our experience with this particular school. So far, our experience in a public school with only 22 kids in the class is so much better than when our kid was at Carden (20 kids to a class) and we get to save that $1200 a month in tuition too!

My daughter is in first grade least year, after completing K at Carden last year, and I could not be more happy with the school. The small group work has allowed her to work at her level, and feel challenged yet supported. The special subject teachers are great. Every day I pick her up, I always ask her what was her favorite part of the day, and it is almost something different. The new song she learned in Spanish, the game they played in PE, the iPads they use on Fridays, the Alice in Wonderland song they learned in music, the drawing she made in computers, the book she picked at the library, etc. The school has a small environment and family feeling, yet has the facilities and space of a larger school. Tons of outdoor space for the kids to run around. I love that they get up to 30 minutes of playground time in the morning between drop off and start of school, plus 2 twenty minute recces times, and daily PE. The teachers and administration are very responsive. I had questions about how my daughter was doing in class, and immediately scheduled a meeting with the teacher and the director of education, where they walked through every question I had, and gave helpful suggestions on how to improve things for her. The school is so smoothly run, everything from morning drop off and pick up routine, teacher escorts from your car with umbrellas on rainy days, and special performances. We look forward to many more years at Carden Academy.

Go to this school. Our children have been enrolled at Carden academy at original campus in Santa Clara. We stuck with Carden through transition to Alamden Campus. The standards are high and environment is ensuring sucess for all students. Further we are very pleased with the well rounded ciriculum and extra activities to enaure well rounded experiences. We have two boys in this school and are assured of thier readiness for high school and higher education. They will be prepared for challenges and future opportunities. We have one more child soon to beginning the Kindergarten and are certain he will also excel and enjoy.

Amount of homework: Agree

Sometime there are tough nights getting through the home work. Especially going into 5th grade, expectation get higher. Sometimes.

We are extremely pleased with the transition and progress our child has made from kindergarten at another school to first grade at Carden. His progress in reading has been remarkable. We looked at many other schools before deciding to attend Carden, and we know we made the right choice given the available alternatives in the 95124-95125 area. The curriculum is excellent, our son s teacher is intelligent and communicative, and school management is highly professional and responsive. The afterschool programs are fun, structured and supervised, as opposed to just a bucket of legos (although there s opportunity for that too). It s great to see the children doing good things with their time afterschool. If the foregoing assessment changes for any reason, I will repost on this website.

The school is good in some ways, but the math program (esp. at the middle school) has serious problems. Sixth grade students are forced into pre-algebra, whether they're ready for it or not, and the course didn't move logically. They jumped around and had different topics thrown at them at once and my child got very confused. The 7th grade students do algebra over the course of 2 years. This has caused real problems for my child, who didn't get a good grounding in the basics and we have to send her to a tutor. The approach is rigid in the extreme, to the point where homework problems must be redone even if the answer is correct because a student used a method not approved the teacher.

Since this school has moved to the Dent Ave campus with a new president in Fall 2012, it has become an incredible school with amazing academics. Their entire staff is now strong, caring, university-educated teachers with teaching credentials (some with masters degrees in childhood education). They have done a wonderful job listening to all the feedback and making changes - the graduating class got multiple offers to all the private high schools.

I totally disagree with the previous comment. Having experienced both the Californian public school system and Carden this year - Carden comes out way on top. Not only are the academics good, the teachers understand that not all children learn at the same level and can differentiate to the benefit of all the students. My daughter has come on leaps and bounds academically this year. As well as the academics Carden also focuses heavily on the arts, sports and languages. It is a very well rounded curriculum. The pastoral side is also strong and the students know exactly what is expected of them behaviour wise and are taught to be caring individuals. The only shame for me personally is the this type of good education can be found for free in the UK and Europe and possibly other states in America. However with the Californian public system being the way that it is I feel Carden is worth every penny.

We were very disappointed with the curriculum at Carden. We found that it was well below what our child was receiving at their last public school.

My child attends the junior K program and I must say that I am disappointed in the very simple and non-challenging curriculum. I feel that if I moved my child to public school for Kindergarten, he would be behind his peers because of inadequate Kindergarten preparation. My child even complained that all they do is color, color, color. He is doing considerably less challenging and developmental work here, compared to where he was in preschool when he was three years old. I have to supplement alot at home just to keep him on pace with where he was when he entered Carden. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but for the quite pricy tuition, it is not a good value. On a positive note, the administration is great and very responsive.

Last modified Carden Academy of Almaden is a Private school that serves grades K-8