San Juan Capistrano, CA

San Juan Elementary School 2

Posted September 08, 2014
SJE. My Son Attended for 5 yrs. 1st thru 4th grade teachers were awesome. 5th graders have 2 teachers over the day. One of which would not stop bulling my son, in spite of many meetings with her. I know of 2 other children who experienced the same. My child is quiet studious and well liked! .She also bullied the, "slow learner". The principal is apathetic. I believe everything "drama Mom" (July 2013) said is true. I regret not pulling my son out. My daughter's experience good until 4th. 4th grade students rotate round 3 teachers. My daughter witnessed one teacher bullying a child who had supposedly stolen some library books.He was humiliated about this almost EVERY DAY. This has to be against district policies! I know of another little girl who was harshly treated by this teacher. Lots of parents pulled out after fourth grade!!! The school bathrooms are also filthy. It's sad, for the really amazing teachers at SJE who are in a negative environment with a disengaged principal.My daughter is now at Las Palmas. Wow, what a difference. You feel the friendliness of the staff and it filters down to the children, who are all friendly so far. Bathrooms are nice and clean, too!

Posted May 31, 2013
SJE is a wonderful School. I read the "drama queen" review and felt it was completely wrong, thus my follow up post. To explain, SJE is a split community school. Half of the kids are locals and the other half are all around the district. It is a Dual Immersion School, for Spanish Speakers to learn English and English Learners to learn Spanish. The Principle, Silvia Pule is awesome! Each teacher we have had has been exceptional. The program is more challenging because its mainly Spanish for my kids all day long. Math is in Spanish, History, etc - all in Spanish. They have a great music program and active parents who want to be involved. I've found it amazing that each teacher has been such a great fit for each of our children. I wouldn't change it. This school is not for everyone, only those who want a challenging and stimulating education environment. If your child has dissolute issues and doesn't do homework or the parents are too busy to get involved with the school/child, then this is not for them. A Dad with 4 kids who have gone to SJE.

San Juan Elementary School 1

Posted March 19, 2013
My Daughter goes to this school. She is the only white child out of 34 kids in a fifth grade class. Wh had been to another school in the district and had gone throught a pretty bad bullying incident with 12 girls. I thought that San Juan would be a caring and nice, safe place for my daughter. It turned out to be the worst decision of my life. All of the hispanic children are truly horrible to my daughter, they tease her, yell obsenities in Spanish to her, they shout: " We hate Germans", to her, they refuse to sit with her at lunch, they come up to her and say you have NO friends, then they whisper to her "We are gonna tell on you" and they say this over and over. This has gone on everyday all day for six months. When after six months I did finally complain, the teacher whose name I will not mention told my daughter your Mother is a " Drama Queen". I fear everyday my daughter will be hurt by the 34 kids in her class. I have no support by the teacher, principal or the administration in general. This is the public school system. The principal, teachers and people in the office all gain up on the parents if they complaim. So basically I have no where to turn.

Posted December 12, 2012
My daughter is in 1st grade at SJES and we love it. The API scores are above the state mandated 800, and growing. My daughter also did two years of preschool on this site as well in a bilingual setting. I think she would be bored in an English only school. She loves her teachers and is one of the top in her class. Her math skills are great! Love it here!

Posted May 19, 2011
This school is truly amazing. Traditionally, children involved in dual immersion will tend to have lower test scores in the beginning years, but by high school they end up far more advanced (on average) than their peers. My husband was involved in Spanish immersion when he was young, and every single person from his class went on to gain professional degrees (doctor's, dentists, lawyers, etc). Learning a second language is very beneficial, and will give your student an advantage when applying to colleges. With regards to San Juan, my husband initially had to talk me into going with this alternative education route, but I could not be happier. Senora Pule is outstanding. She is always out on the campus speaking with parents and children. The students love her, and she very strongly emphasizes building good character, integrity, community involvement, and every other good characteristic you would hope your child could develop. The teachers are highly qualified and provide challenging curriculum. Parents are very friendly and work hard to help the school in every way they can. I love that my children can still experience culture and diversity on a daily basis.

Posted May 19, 2011
Teachers at San Juan are wonderful. The bilingual experience is so unique. In Kinder., they speak only Spanish to the students (except for the one hour a day they go to another teacher for English class). Each year, they increase the amount of English spoken and decrease Spanish until they are getting about 50/50 (correct me if I am wrong on this). We worried about sending our son to Kindergarten in general, because he could already read, write, add, subtract, etc. We thought he would be bored and act out as a result of this. Fortunately, we found San Juan, which challenges him on a daily basis because he is learning a new language in addition to being taught the Kindergarten basics. Curriculum is amazing -- within the first 3 months he could read and write in Spanish, understand almost everything the teacher said, and could speak using small phrases. These little children pick up the Spanish so quickly! And their accents sound authentic, because they are learning at such a young age. I love running into people who speak Spanish and watching my young son speak with them. They look so surprised every time. San Juan is a great school. You won't be disappointed.

San Juan Elementary School 4

Posted November 06, 2010
To the reviewer from August 4, 2010: First of all, why bother rating a school if your kids don't go there?? You sound like a pretty vicious person. Second, I don't know where you get your information but SJE increased 66 POINTS in its API score this past year alone. Not only is that increase huge but it's the HIGHEST in all of Orange County. If you look at the school's scores over the last 5 years, it has been increasing year after year. So the school is making great strides and very close to achieving the state mandate of 800 points. Focus on your own kids' school and leave us alone.

San Juan Elementary School 1

Posted August 04, 2010
San Juan Elementary received an API Score of a 2 on the State Standadized Test. It surprises me to read parents saying they are happy that their children attend San Juan! So the children are getting below average education but hey, they love the school spirit, parent involvement (sounds like parents socializing) and the teachers. Hurray!! This is why my child is not attending San Juan.

San Juan Elementary School 4

Posted February 09, 2010
My Godson is in the dual immersion kindergarten class, and as of 2/9, he can count to 105 & knows the alphabet in both languages, and can also read and write short sentences. He receives 30 minutes + of homework daily, and is involved in 2 after school programs, reading and marathon running training. Because the school is centrally located, also in a Latino district, some parents are not involved, because of language and comfort barriers. The school has a nice on-site library, so far so good!

Posted October 04, 2009
The unique opportunity to be in a two-way immersion program offers our children so many more opportunities to serve others. We have a beautiful multicultural community that expands minds as well as hearts.

San Juan Elementary School
31642 El Camino Real, San Juan Capistrano, CA  92675
Last modified San Juan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Juan Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top