San Marcos High School

Public | 9-12

Living in San Marcos

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $335,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,600.

Posted June 14, 2014

top notch sports teams, zero tolerance bullying, lots of clubs, strong sense of pride and beautiful brand new campus with top notch technology

Posted December 17, 2013

I can go on about this school, but i won't! Let just say you are better of sending your kids to a charter school! Specially if your kids are mexican! I'm not going to get into details about this, lets just say some teachers are perverts! The assistant pricipal MR. Zeith thinks his the owner if your child! He will BELITTLE YOUR KIDS AND HUMILIATE THEM IN FRONT OF THEIR PEERS! His so out of control with his attitude that the staff will ask him if everything is ok? He needs to learn his place! Don't raise your voice at my child!!

Posted November 15, 2013

So basically the class of 2012 carried this entire school on its back. The API under this amazing class went from 774 to an all time high of 859 and the school went from unranked to ranked 11 nationally according to US News and World Report. This class fundamentally changed the attitudes of all the staff at the school, who were now uplifted and inspired by how awesome the class of 2012 was. Now that the class of 2012 is gone, the API has slowly dripped from the all time high of 859 to 858 the next year and 857 this year. Also, the school ranking has plummeted off a cliff. As you can see, although no other class can hope to come close to the class of 2012, the positive influence left in 2012's wake has caused all the teachers to be about 329% more effective. If you are to enroll your kid in this school, do so immediately before all of the magic voodoo placed on the staff by the class of 2012 wears off for good and the school reverts back to its middling baseline level. God bless the United States of America.

Posted September 9, 2013

Currently I wrote a review about my school that wasn't that great. I was very angry with the school at that time. I wish I could take it back. I got the chance to talk with the assistant principle, Mr. Zeait, we discussed what happened. It was just a misunderstanding. He was very cool about it.

Posted September 6, 2013

This school is probably the worst school I have ever gone to. I am currently a in my second year of high school and the year just stated a few weeks ago. So far I have had three different things stolen from me and today was one of those times. Also today, the assistant principle Mr. Zeait pointed directly at me and said something about how "All you little freshman" should come to the football game. Now, I am a good student so he wasn't mad at me or anything. I guess that he thought that it would be a good I idea to point me out and not only say what he did, but honestly it hurt my feelings. Obviously, I'm writing this because I'm very frustrated with the San Marcos High school as a whole. I know parents may write awesome things about how great their kids high school is but honestly you should probably take some advice from someone who has to go there almost every single day. Thank you for reading, I hope this helped.

Posted April 29, 2013

SMHS is a school that keeps improving. The AAPLE academy is awesome and allows kids to challenge themselves at the top level. The creation of the Entrepreneurship Academy is such a brilliant idea! Teachers there are wonderful and care for their students. World History teacher Mr Burrows is incredible but so are Ms Mandarino, Mr Bausbach, Mr Roth and Mr Holdren! San Marcos deserves to be more recognized. And the students there are much more friendly and humble than in Dos Pueblos or in Santa Barbara High. It is simply a nice community! I am very happy my child is part of the Royals.

Posted March 23, 2013

Overall I am very pleased with this school. It has a very positive vibe and the teachers are very conscientious. I enjoyed the Shadow your Knight day and was impressed with each teacher. I asked my child if the teachers were always that awesome, and he said yes. I love the school spirit of this school. We love going to the basketball games. My ONLY complaint so far is that I was very unimpressed with one teacher (I won't elaborate), and administration absolutely REFUSED to let my child switch teachers. I was told he COULD switch teachers but he'd have to drop honors. I felt this was very unfair. I have never asked to switch teachers with any of my children in ten years. I have always taught my kids that they have to get along with whomever they get as a teacher. I knew this teacher was not a good fit for my child. I am still upset about this. Anyhow, other than that...AWESOME!

Posted May 30, 2012

Unfortunately, the US News ranking is based on inaccurate data from the federal government. Still look forward to my kids attending, and think it's a fine school.

Posted May 24, 2012

Hey people, just look at U.S. News ranking of high school's in CA and you'll see SMHS ranked #3. That is a huge achievement and should be acknowledged. I have 5 kids and none go to SMHS, but I am thinking of relocating and this is one of the areas I am looking at, just because of the school.

Posted November 21, 2011

I struggled initially with letting my kids attend SMHS. My perception was one of a lesser quality of education and on campus concerns. I now have a senior and freshman at SMHS and couldn't be more pleased with what they have and are experiencing at the HS. My senior now has the opportunity to attend a number of top level colleges due to his HS achievements. If you take advantage of what is offered at SMHS and choose to get involved, there is no better HS in the county, but that is a matter of choice. I glad we didn't spend the equivalent of college tuition to send our kids to a private school or get lured in to the need to attend LCC or TP, even despite the inconvenience of the construction.

Posted September 17, 2011

This is in reply to the last review posted........So many parents objected to having their children moved off campus during construction. This is the reason your children are being subjected to construction woes. Originally, an off campus site by CSU was offered, but way too many parents complained about this. We have to deal with the mess until our new beautiful, high tech school is finished. Sorry!!!

Posted September 16, 2011

What a really disorganized mess this school has become. Student parking lot is half a mile away from campus. My daughter also has to deal with the demolition dust from asbestos-laced buildings from 50 years ago. So what are they going to replace those old portables with? NEW PORTABLES! Where are the classes for their interim campus going to be held? Portables again! I am not sure she will be attending here next year.

Posted August 24, 2011

Look at the district website and the school accountability report card (SARC). SMHS has had student profieciency BELOW state averages in math for the past three years. In other areas, they are barely treading water with the state averages. For the district, they are under state averages. How the API is at 829 is mystery to me.

Posted August 20, 2011

My time at SMHS is unforgettable. After discussing my high school experience with college peers, I have come to appreciate the education I received at SM. I was surprised to hear about poor quality of teachers at other CA high schools, and it has made me realize that SMHS is one of a kind. I'm also completely appreciative of the emphasis on writing & the collaboration between History & English teachers because it has helped me easily transition to college level papers. I'm skeptical of "5 faculty transferring their kids" because I didn't know a single faculty member that lives in SMUSD that sends their kids to another school. In fact, many faculty that don't live in SM transfer their kids to the school- some from as far as Santee. There are a ton of students that transfer from outside the district, especially Vista and Escondido, due to its great reputation in recent years. I would completely disregard any reviews in which the individual merely vents about the passage of Prop K. Just because you are mad about the tax increases doesn't mean SMHS isn't a great school. SM offers a real-world (diversity) and memorable experience, and no parent should hesitate to send their kids there.

Posted August 2, 2011

Oh my. I was scarred to say anything about what I experiances were. Great schools, thx for this site! I know of five teachers and staff of SMUSD that send their kids elsewhere to school. I didnt know it was this bad....I have two daughters who went to this school and my family will now be moving elsewhere.

Posted August 1, 2011

Seems to me the last reviewer does not have enough information in order to review this school based on the first sentence. The second sentnece is not true at all. Seems that this person might be just a disgruntled person unhappy with the passage of prorp K. To rank a school with one star when one is completely not informed is disgraceful. Campus programs that improve the community and create global awareness among students have helped earn San Marcos High School an inaugural United Nations award that recognizes positive actions. This school does not have a culture of mediocrity. It meets the needs of a diverse population, just check out the api scores on this website and be sure to look at sub catagories and compare them to every top high school in san Diego. You will find they are higher than all!

Posted February 2, 2010

I am very pleased with the education provided by SMHS. My son graduated last year and is now attending UCSD earning mostly A's, which indicates that SMHS grads are ready for college. He was able to pass 8 AP tests while enrolled at the high school due to the excellent instruction; this will allow him to graduate from college in 3 years saving us alot of money. This school is very diverse and offers many opportunites for students to succeed. Since the school isn't as large as other local high schools, students have many opportunities for participation in sports and clubs.

Posted September 28, 2009

My two daughters have received a great education and the since of community is extraordinary.

Posted September 15, 2009

Wow what a fantastic school! I am so pleased with the interest my daughter now shows in school. The teachers are wonderful!! Every interaction I have had with the staff has been pleasant and professional.

Posted August 15, 2009

San Marcos HIgh School is a great school. It has friendly staff and the campus is kept fairly clean. I am going onto my sencond year at this school and I am proud to be a Knight!
—Submitted by a student

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

554 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

627 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

546 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

191 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

545 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

572 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

514 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

536 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students35%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)79%
Parent education - college graduate90%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate95%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students13%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate84%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate81%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

589 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

588 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students91%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1615 San Marcos Boulevard