Santa Barbara, CA

Posted September 18, 2014
this school is good with student teacher relationships, the teachers work very hard for the child to succeed. Don't let these negative posts fool you. A teacher couldn't justify the kids wrong doing of getting a C on a SPELLING TEST, it is just a spelling test - overprotective parent, calm down. Go to lagunablanca.org to get a real sense of the school or talk to faculty members or tour the school. Sure the principals have been changing a lot lately, but laguna is improving - there is a new head that seems to be good.

Laguna Blanca School 2

Posted August 19, 2014
My child attended Laguna from 1st through 8th grade and I would not recommend the school to others. My child excelled in all subjects but was not allowed into the middle school portion of the library because those were "not age appropriate books" for a third grader. I was a single parent and this was pointed out to my parents and allowed to be a negative topic of conversation among teachers and students. In 4th grade there was a faculty member that became very upset at the phrase "that's sucks" and made such a big deal about it that many, if not all, of the kids learned what that woman believed the origin of the expression was. NOT the kind of knowledge I expected faculty to teach. When real problems arose it was hard to get faculty to listen. My child received all A's until a teacher gave a C in spelling. I asked for a conference to see how this happened since all the tests up to that point were A's and my kid was upset. The faculty would not justify the grade so I complained to the Headmaster. He would not go against a teacher or require the teacher account for how grades were calculated. That teacher was promoted. I would accept this culture better if I was free.

Posted November 07, 2013
High academic expectation. The Board of Trustees and administration are very open and approachable. Loads of parents show up to events. Happy kids. No complaints.

Posted October 11, 2013
Stop basing any of your decisions on reviews, good or bad, on a website. Instead, do the following for each school you are considering: - Visit the school and observe some classes. Talk to the students and faculty if you can. - View the list of college acceptances from previous years. - Inquire about test scores and AP offerings. - Investigate qualifications of the teachers via biographies on the school website. - Attend a varsity sports game. - View all of the school's facilities, including computer labs, library, classrooms and athletic facilities. - Check out student artwork and performances. - Have the prospective student visit for a day with a current student. Do all of these dutifully for each school you are considering or else you are not being a wise consumer. Do all of these dutifully, and you will see why Laguna Blanca has been one of the top college preparatory schools in the region for decades. No need for anonymity on this review, as we at Laguna truly stand by the strength of our school community and the education we provide. Stop by our newly renovated, state-of-the-art library and say hello over a cup of coffee! Blake Dorfman '02 Coordinator, Isham Library

Posted September 01, 2013
I have read the previous reviews - believe mine. When we started we were promised "that all classes are taught at GATE level". Not true. In fact, one lower school teacher confirmed that the curriculum is decided by the teacher - whatever that is. There is NO continuity between the grades and the curriculum is quite boring. My child, who is extremely bright, was forced to sit through daily addition lessons (even though he was more advanced) - no matter how hard we tried to make this better; we were shut down. As for the upper school; we had one teacher publicly humiliate our older child and all he received was a "note" in his folder. If you think that by paying a lot of money and viewing the nice campus your child will receive a stellar education; you are mistaken. Don't be fooled. As for "College Prep" - 6 graduates this year are attending Junior College. The college counselor will direct your child NOT to the school in his/her best interest; but, rather to an "affiliate". Both of our "host" families left before us. Sadly, we should have listened and left; but, tried to hang on. Like many families who live close to this school; we send our children elsewhere.

Posted August 29, 2013
I am a parent of 3 Laguna Blanca students one of whom recently graduated and is prospering in a top University. Laguna Blanca provides a solid college preparatory educational foundation that is unmatched in other Santa Barbara schools. We are particularly impressed with Laguna's English and Literature programs which provide the critical skills to read with comprehension and to write persuasively. Laguna also provides a safe environment for students to explore and to challenge themselves in whatever academic, artistic or athethlic pursuits that interest them. One of our children played 3 varsity sports in one yea. One of other children plays in a varisty sport and also enjoys the art programs. We were also impressed with the college preparation help that Laguna provides. Laguna Blanca has a terffific reputation with Colleges and Universities throughout the US and the faculty and staff provide much needed assistance in providing college application guidance and meaningful letters of recommendation. A visit to Laguna Blanca is the best way to form your own opinion.

Laguna Blanca School 2

Posted August 27, 2013
We had our son at Laguna for all of junior high and it is not as bad as some of the reviews say, but it is also not as good as the positive reviews would lead you to believe. We decided to pull our son out mainly because he became so uninspired. Laguna is good for a specific type of kid. Possibly a kid who is very regimented, mathematical, and not too "outside the box" or inquisitive.

Posted August 27, 2013
A once great school is now reduced to a shell of its former glory. I am almuni and a parent of two children enrolled at Laguna. I had high hopes for my children since my education had been so good when I went there a million years ago. Over the last five years or so, Laguna Blanca has fired all their best teachers (or they quit), eliminated all leadership, and now simply hope they will attract families from reputation alone. I am embarrassed that my beloved school has been reduced to a farce of a good education. I don't know how this has happened and I truly regret to have to write a negative review, but someone, somehow needs to bring Laguna Blanca back to what it once was.

Posted August 23, 2013
We love this school and more importantly so does our Daughter, we couldnt be happier, from teachers, overall leadership, caring for childrens well being to exciting and impressive new capital improvements, I cant think of another school that has this blend and we looked long and hard when moving to the area. I was shocked to see a couple of negative views on this site and had to read them twice to make sure they were talking about the same school, not sure what happened in their particular instances but couldnt be further from our and hundreds of others expeariance. Our daughter has strugged in the past with keeping up and fully understanding what was being taught but all this became a thing of the past at Laguna, the safety net and support structure is amazing and keeps students on track when they 'slip' or get behind, and more importantly its done in a really suportive and caring way, year after year the graduates get in and excell in some of the countries finest Colleges, the stats are truly impressive...there are always Allum at the school or in the comunity and to a person they rave about how well they were prepared for college and their days on the Laguna campus.

Posted August 23, 2013
I don't normally write reviews on things but our experience with Laguna Blancta has been so bad that I felt the duty to inform other parents considering this school. I believe it used to be good but now it is terrible. They teachers are burned out and uninspired (except the art teachers), they are firing the headmasters one after the next, teachers are running and quitting as fast as they can. All the best teachers are gone and now the secretary is teaching English! We pulled our child out of there as fast as we could.

Laguna Blanca School