Santa Monica, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted July 14, 2014
Looking forward to the new Transitional Kindergarten(TK) this coming school year. Administration has been wanting to add a PK or TK for years. Glad it's finally happening.

Posted October 02, 2013
My son just started the fifth grade and we are very pleased so far. Academics are exceptional and rigorous - just what my son needs. Emphasis on different learning styles so many opportunities for success. Principal is amazing. Class size is too big, but that is everywhere. The Monsignor is absolutely wonderful - my son adores him. On balance, a 5 star school!

Posted August 31, 2013
I completely agree with the parent's comment below (posted August 17, 2013)...This will be our fifth year at St. Monica's. Both my kids have started from kindergarten. This past year, there have been a number of changes and I believe it's been positive. My kids both have new teachers and so far, it's been good. There's a wonderful feeling of community at St. Monica's. We have a great relationship between the families, schools and church. My kids feel loved and safe there. They are happy and that's what really matters most for us.

Posted August 17, 2013
My eldest just graduated from St. Monica's and my youngest has a few more years to go. Has the experience been perfect? Of course not! However it has been a great fit for my kids and our family and I feel really grateful that we found this school 4+ years ago. The academics are consistently strong, with a great variety of extra curricular options for all. The teachers and administration are incredibly accessible and approachable. The parent community is welcoming and active. They promote change in an effort to always be improving which is a refreshing and welcome improvement from our 5 year experience with public schools. The classroom size is not small, but the school is, & we benefit that all the staff really get to know all the students. My sons and family have been sincerely welcomed at St. Monica's, and I am confident that we have made the right choice. In reading several of the previous posts, I feel badly for these parents who are clearly so unhappy with their CHOICE to attend this school. While I sincerely hope that they find a school that is a better fit for them (and thus create a space for a child and family who WANTS to be there), the grass is rarely greener...

Posted August 13, 2013
What does it say about a school when two of its best and longtime teachers quit (without notice) over the summer and families are left without knowing who will be teaching their children? At this point, the principal's entire job consists of DAMAGE CONTROL for the poor leadership decisions he and the "president" continue to make. I seriously wonder when other parents are going to open their eyes, band together, and demand change? Although I'm not sure that would even make a difference since the principal will just get out his smoke and mirrors in yet another attempt to make us forget what we are asking for or why we bothered talking to him in the first place. If you are not a zealot or blind follower of the principal and "president", you will most likely not be happy at this school. Our family feels stuck because we have no real public school options and cannot afford private school. Our search will continue as we bide our time.

St. Monica Catholic Elementary School 3

Posted February 16, 2013
Unfortunately, this school is going downhill. I feel like they are more concerned about filling up 35 kids per class, it doesn't matter who they accept, just as long as they get the $$$. Most of the teachers, staff and parents do care and try to make it a better community, but if the president and principal do not listen to the parents' concerns and be proactive leaders to solve problems, we can't move forward. Many parents who I've spoken to are tired of making an effort, thus volunteering and fundraising goals have gone down. Education is average. If your child is gifted or needs extra help, there's no help at the school for that. Come on leaders of the school.....Make some positive changes now!

Posted February 07, 2013
I wish I could give this school zero stars. Bullying is rampant, not only amongst the students, but also amongst the parents. If you deviate from the rigid Catholic doctrines in any way, then good luck to you and your children! And it's not like the academics even make up for the social climate at this school because they are average at best. They squish 35 kids into each classroom, with one classroom per grade. Research shows that class size DOES matter. We are looking forward to switching schools in the fall.

Posted December 13, 2012
I have two children that attend St. Monica Catholic Elementary School and my family's experience has been a positive one. The teachers are dedicated to the students and the school, and this is visible each and every day. The president/principal model that the school employs provides strong leadership and allows our principal to focus on curriculum and the day-to-day of the school. The academic environment is challenging and the teachers and administration are continually scrutinizing it to make it the best it can be. Above and beyond everything that I've stated above, the community at the school is wonderful. Students are educated in a safe and nurturing environment and the result is confident children who excel socially and academically. I highly recommend St. Monica Catholic Elementary School.

Posted November 27, 2012
The classes are full at St. Monica's because of word of mouth. My children have and are receiving an excellent academic education. This is reflected in their high national test scores. More important to me is the nurturing community and environment. The rich array of after school programs, the sports programs and the involvement of all grades with one another in the "school families" that include children from each grade in one "family" all serve to bring children together in many different ways. The service hours that are required of parents also ensure that parents become involved and become part of the community as well.

Posted September 20, 2012
We had a terrible experience at this school. I would not recommend it to anyone.

St. Monica Catholic Elementary School
1039 7th Street, Santa Monica, CA  90405
Last modified St. Monica Catholic Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Monica Catholic Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top