Report this review as inappropriate

Cancel
« Back to compare
/ / School Profile

4 stars
Based on 20 ratings

Let others know what you
think about this school


20 reviews of this school


This is a safe place to share your honest opinions of a school, whether good or bad.  Learn more.


Foothill Elementary School 5

Posted September 25, 2013
- a parent
We moved to this community last year and its our son's second year in this school. We have had nothing but the best experience so far. Mr.Bosco is a wonderful, large hearted Principal who knows almost all kids by their first names. He often drops into classes and watches the teachers interact with kids. He is always at playground during recess mingling with kids and talking to them about how their day went. He genuinely cares that each kid is happy and takes pleasure in their success. The teachers have been warm and most importantly accepting of all differences. This is definitely not a school for kids who are only academically oriented as the motto of the school is not only pushing education but bringing a much more well rounded encouraging environment for all. We would definitely recommend this school.

Foothill Elementary School 5

Posted September 24, 2013
- a parent
Both of my children have attended since kindergarten, we are now on our way out. Thank goodness. The teachers are nice, for the most part. Mr. Bosco is nice. But there is NO vision. NO progression. NO teacher accountability nor principal accountability . The teachers do as they please depending highly on parent involvement. The staff has been doing the same things for years clearly before my children started. It's sad and frustrating to watch. My children will be fine. But many many moments of the natural curiosity of world and learning have never been tapped into because of teacher/administration complacency . And , " well, this is how we do things... " mentality. Foothill and perhaps the district as a whole needs house cleaning. Money and high test scores do not equate great teaching. In an area with so much, foothill offers very little.
1 person found this helpful


Foothill Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2013
- a parent
Did you notice that they grouped all the good kids in one class? We expected the class will be a mixed group but it is not. J. Bosco needs to do something about it, currently the classes are not balanced!

Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted August 22, 2013
- a parent
Totally agree with the previous parent reviewers. This year's class placement is unfair and way too extreme. I'm so disappointed in the Principal and some of the teachers' judgment to place the students in this order. I hope they'll re-evaluate and review the criteria for future placement. Unfortunately, this year's arrangement cannot provide a well-balanced environment for the students to learn from each other.

Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted August 21, 2013
- a parent
I like many aspects of this school, such as student diversity and culture. However, I was very disappointed in the class assignments this year. Just as another reviewer had commented, the most advanced/mature students are all placed in one class. What is interesting is that class has the largest number of the teachers' kids. Is it really coincidental? We as parents do not get to pick our kids' classmates and teachers, yet it seems that teachers get to do exactly that.


Foothill Elementary School 2

Posted August 18, 2013
- a parent
Foothill needs a strong principal who can provide great leadership and vision. Mr. Bosco should care about providing the best opportunities for majority of the students to learn and to grow instead of just focus on a small group of top students. For those students who are placed at "average" level are already 1 year ahead of their curriculums, but yet they don't have confidence in themselves because the school does not really care about them. Those top kids who are 2-3 years ahead of their grade levels should consider skipping a grade. Foothill needs a principal who can look at the bigger picture and who can help majority of the students to learn, to grow, and to build confidence.

Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted August 18, 2013
- a parent
It is only fair that the students receive the same level of curriculum/homework and have access to the same level of resources regardless of their achievement levels.

Foothill Elementary School 2

Posted August 18, 2013
- a parent
Classes are not balanced for students achievement levels: some classes have high concentration of high achievement students, others have high concentration of low achievement students. Aren't we supposed to have diverse classrooms?


Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2013
- a parent
We have been in Foothill for 4 years and I agree with the other reviewer that this school is for kids who already learned the curriculum and are at least one to two (or even three) years ahead of their grade levels; if your kids don't know the curriculum in advance, then they are out of luck. Furthermore, this school is not for busy working parents because the teachers expect your kids to know the curriculum before coming to school. We also noticed that they seem to place the top 1/3 students in one class with teachers who have the most seniority, and the teachers with the least seniority get the bottom 1/3 students.

Foothill Elementary School 3

Posted August 16, 2013
- a parent
I am disappointed with most of the teachers and the Principal--Joe Bosco. The teachers don't "teach", they often send home HW without teaching the kids first, they want the parents to teach the kids and they only do review/assessments. Futhermore, J. Bosco has little experience in dealing with important issues, and he does not understand the needs of the children. He groups the kids based on their academic levels as young as 1st grade, he evaluates the kids based on their academic capabilities instead of who they are; he puts all the star kids in one class, kids with special needs in the other class, and kids with average grades in the 3rd class. This is totally imappropriate, he is leading the school toward the wrong direction! Aren't we suppposed to have a diverse elementary school? If your kids are not placed on the top 20% of the class by 1st grade, your kids will never get a chance to catch up or to receive the same curriculum to excel in the future (especially boys matural later than girsl), this is extremely unfair for the rest of 80% families who are also tax payers. Foothill needs an experience Principal to provide great leadership and to set the right directions!

Ask a question

Find out information and contribute your experiences, so parents can learn more about this school.

Nearby schools

Sign up for email updates

Connect with us

Translate this web page

About GreatSchools

Our mission is to help millions of parents get a great education for their kids. GreatSchools.org is an independent nonprofit and the leading national source of school information for families.


GreatSchools.org 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools.org All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Foothill Elementary School
13919 Lynde Avenue, Saratoga, CA  95070
(408) 867-4036
Last modified Foothill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Foothill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top