Shingletown, CA

Posted September 26, 2012
I have had children enrolled in Black Butte School since 1992. My oldest is now a Navy nuclear machinist who excelled at Black Butte and then went on to excel at Foothill as well. My next oldest is a customer service rep and doing quite well too. I have one child in FHS and three still enrolled in Black Butte. My child at FHS is in all honor classes and achieving a B average. All three children at Black Butte are scoring above average grades and I am anticipating their doing honors classes at FHS as well. Black Butte School has served our family well. Along with preparing them academically, the school offers band daily for middle school and weekly for the elementary school. It also offers many different sports programs and has an excellent after school program. No school is perfect. There are always issues of some kind. I think Black Butte School addresses problems as they occur and handles them appropriately. We have never had a serious issue with the school and have always had any problems resolved efficiently and expediently. It's sad to hear such bad reviews from other people. Maybe they should have given the school a chance to rectify their problem,

Black Butte Junior High School 2

Posted August 28, 2012
My daughter attended Black Butte Elementary School from K all the way through 5th grade. She loved the school and her teachers and thrived there. She was encouraged to work ahead at her own level and stayed challenged and engaged. This year is her first at Black Butte Jr. High and it is a different experience altogether. There are no programs for kids who are ahead academically and want to continue excelling. The general attitude is that there are not enough resources for anything but the basic curriculum. My sister-in-law is a local high school teacher and the general consensus is that Black Butte students are behind their peers when they enter the 9th grade and spend much of high school catching up. It breaks my heart to see our Jr. High in a "death spiral" where more and more concened parents are sending their kids to Millville, North Cow Creek, or a charter school, making the school even poorer and less desirable. It's a problem that needs to be solved, unfortunately we don't have time to wait and we are filling out the transfer paperwork today.

Posted December 17, 2011
This is my child 1st yr their, We have had nothing but problem their. Every day it was a fight to get my child to school because the other student where so rude to her, She wold have a problem with other student, She would let the school Principal know what is going on. He did nothing at all.My child talked to the teacher about it... still nothing. So she took it in her own hand's. And Now she is getting into trouble because the school did nothing to try to stop the problem before it led to that. I can understand if a student is acting up in class to yell at them but not because the child had the wrong answer to the problem. I'm to the point I'm taking my child out of the school and driving her into Redding each day. I think the school board need to re look at the staff and make lot of changes. From a Parent to a Parent. Please I would think twice about putting my child their. I'm going to the school board about this. And If I have to I will take it down south.

Posted September 26, 2011
My child's athletic team played against this school. I was apalled at not only the rudeness and horrible sportsmanship of their team, but the violent nature of it's players which was encouraged by their coach and even the players families. In my search for contact information on the website, the principal can't even spell "academic excellence" correctly in their mission statement.. leading me to believe that this school is anything but excellent in academics as well. If I could pick zero stars I would. If you live in this district, I highly suggest you put in for a transfer for your child.

Black Butte Junior High School 2

Posted March 17, 2010
The administration and teachers have their own agenda that does not take into account the best interest or education of the students. My childs education is at risk, so I am now transferring my child to a school that demands accountability from its teachers, its school board, the parents, and the students themselves.

Posted December 14, 2009
Excellent involved caring teachers that provide amazing opportunities unavailable elsewhere. The small class sizes insure one on one interaction.

Posted August 06, 2009
they dont have good techers.

Posted February 19, 2009

Black Butte Junior High School
7946 Ponderosa Way, Shingletown, CA  96088
Last modified Black Butte Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Black Butte Junior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top