Bad
Good

I used to brag toall I know about Alvarado Elementary, but not anymore. Firstly, the teachers, Ms.Becky, the nurse, are all amazing, and Dr. Geithman, principal from previous years , whom is no longer there, was superb. He really cared about the kids, was always visible, helpful, and helped the school aquire the Ca. Distinguished school award! This year my son is in 3rd grade, and the entire year hes been bullied on a regular basis by many students. One student in particular is relentless in his "bullying" He continually callls my son racist names, picks on my sons ethnicity, and has assaulted my son twice. The current principal is very lenient on this bully. The school claims to have a "zero tolerance" policy, in my opinion, this is an absolute lie! My sons grades have fallen, he gets physically sick at school, and has severe emotional issues as to where he is now in therapy. It has been excruciating for him, and I as a parent. Once again, we are both very, very saddened how drastically the school has changed this year. Please think long and hard before enrolling your child at Alvarado Elementary..

I have no rating as have not gone there yet--may be going in the Fall...just wanted to let people know on the LBUSD web site, this school shows API of '8' in 201o' and '7' in 2011...doesn't say what 2012 was yet. So don't know why a '6' on this site? Seems that maybe this site is not always updated. Since LB has school of choice, I am looking into Kinder and wasn't even going to look at schools below '7'. Now I will look at Alvarado. Just be aware that the scores might not always be accurate here. (ONLY GAVE 3 STARS AS IT MADE ME RATE TO SUBMIT COMMENT. MY SON HAS NOT STARTED AT THIS SCHOOL YET SO WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RATE}

My post is already submitted prior to this vote.

Iam an 80 yr. retire and have been a volunteer at Alvarado since 1998 when my son attended this great school. To this day I still volunteer at Alvarado. I know all of the teachers, most have been here since I started and I want to say they are some of the best in LBUSD. THey work one on one with problem students and are loved by the Parents that know how hard they work to improve the students in their care. I invite any of you to visit Alvarado and see them at work!!!

My son is now in third grade and has excelled in every area. It is amazing how dedicated the teachers are and love the children so much. I am very pleased with Alvarado. The school has a new principal and he is great. He is visible, talks with parents, and his door is always open. Everything is handled in a timely manner and information is sent home often. I feel very connected to the teachers and prinicipal. EXCELLENT school. I couldn't ask for more.

We switched from a private school to this public school. The school work is a year behind at 2nd grade. - It is nice that public school is free but I would like to have vouchers to choose where my kids go to school. I like the WRAP after school program for our 2nd grader. It is a bit difficult that our Kindergartner gets out at 1pm and the 2nd grader at such a later time.

My daughter has attended Alvarado for 2 years. The academics focus on the struggling students and kids who are at or above grade level have little to do. Homework is minimal and extremely repetitive, the after school program is disorganized and ran by college kids who do not supervise the kids well during field trips, there is very little social studies and science taught and the assemblies tend to focus on one culture instead of all of the cultures that attend the school. My daughter arrived at Alvarado with a love for learning and very curious. I am checking her out because she is bored and has progressed very little. She has received good reports, but has not been challenged. Not the school for me.

Alvarado Elementary has just been designated as a California Distinguished School. Congratulations!

Last modified Alvarado Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.