Public charter
Students enrolled: 4,222

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 10, 2015
Grading is arbitrary and inexplicable. The school prioritizes rules over children. The main goal of the school is to maximize attendance (thus funding) over learning.

Posted August 10, 2015
I can only re-state what so many others have said. I have used CAVA and other k12 virtual schools on and off since 2007. When we began, we loved it. Our 'teacher' was helpful, honest, responsive and friendly. The curriculum was literature-based, challenging and intellectual. We loved everything about it. But as the school has grown the quality of their staff and teachers has really taken a hit. Furthermore, they have added many tangential requirements that are included in the child's grade. Most of these are aimed at state test preparation. The teachers are absent (ours lives 2 hours away and only bothered to meet with us once). Although we submitted required samples (via mail because she can't be bothered to meet in person) she claimed we didn't and gave my children terrible grades despite what she called their 'tremendous' progress in their required work. That said, if you need a response to YOUR question or need assistance for YOUR student, don't expect to hear from CAVA. I've had text messages, phone calls and emails go unanswered for days or even weeks. I was given 14 hour notice to have my student at state testing. Is the curriculum excellent? Yes. But I wish I had simply purchased it for our own use and cut out the bloated bureaucracy at CAVA. No amount of money is worth what I've put my children through. I can't tell you how much I'd pay to not have seen the looks on my kids' faces when they saw those arbitrary, unfair grades.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 2

Posted August 03, 2015
Like previous comments on this thread, CAVA presents themselves as a public school that can offer individualized learning plans for each student. However, that is all there is, an advertisement. When we started with CAVA four years ago, I loved it. The program was flexible, the teacher was there for us, gave us suggestions when we were struggling with subjects, and patient when my son was behind on some subjects. In fact during our first year when my son was struggling to finish art and science he was allowed to finish those subjects in the summer. Each child learns different subjects at different pace and I was so happy that a school finally understood that. They didn't force or expect children to fit into one mold. Fast forward four years later and I don't know what happen to CAVA. The curriculum is grueling and advance for its grade. In the beginning of the semester they send you an "individualized learning plan", only to realize its not very individual. All it is really are list of topics that they kids needs to finish by the end of the semester so they can earn their grade. There is nothing individualized about it. And if your child does not finish those topics and struggling with the subject, tough luck. He/she will earn an F and the teacher don't really care. Furthermore, if you miss just two days worth of attendance or miss the date on sending the sample work, you receive a phone call and an email right away until you correct the matter. But, and this is a big but, if you have a question for them, needed a response regarding classes, or have an issue with a subject your child is struggling with, don't expect a prompt response. It can take weeks before it is answered and by then its useless information. And when they do respond to your email sometimes they don't even address your questions. Highly annoying. So if your child is struggling at brick and mortar and you think this is a better option for your child, you better be ready to put in 10-12 hour days. This is fine if you don't have other children in the house, don't need to make dinner, do any household chores or have a life. On a brighter note, the curriculum rivals the best public schools in my area who has API of 900's or even better. Also K12 company has excellent customer service and tech support. Its the academic (i.e. teachers and administrators) is what prompted us to leave CAVA.

Posted June 05, 2015
The school is advertised as an alternative to public schooling with individualized learning plans for struggling students. What they DO NOT tell you is that there is NO individualization of their extremely advanced curriculum, and if you have a child that is struggling be prepared for an even bigger struggle. The curriculum is the same for every student, and is extremely advanced compared to standard public schooling. The daily work is a minimum of 8-10 hours a day, so it is also not possible to do schooling on your own time. My child is now having to repeat her grade back in a public school because they didn't teach her any of the foundational skills to thrive in future years. I am highly disappointed in CAVA.

Posted May 19, 2015
CAVA @ Los Angeles has been a great experience for my son and our family. It does take a little getting used to at first but it's fairly easy to get help and feedback. My son is in his third year at CAVA, and the change in him has been remarkable. He used to hate school because it moved too slow for him and took all day. Now, he's excited to learn because the classes move at his pace.

Posted February 10, 2015
This school is overrated! Do NOT waste your time. Find another online school. Do your research to prevent a horrible semester of...well read on. I am sure they might have one or two great teachers however, our experience has been with an incompetent, arrogant poor excuse of an educator. CAVA backs their co-workers no matter what. They do not play fair when it comes to taking responsibility for their actions and they are very catty. School operates with 90% female staff. They take more than a month to request school records which prompts children being marked truant at their old schools. They are slow to resolve issues. And they gossip among each other a lot about any issue that you bring up against them which prompts for intimidation. They stick together. The curriculum is for advanced students but not all students keep up at the same pace. If the students falls off track the school will harass you all around the clock because they have a "reputation" of to keep. Nothing they do is in the best interest of the students. Avoid them at all cost!

Posted September 21, 2014
My offspring is going here since the beginning of the school year, and I'm impressed how great this school is. I do want to point out that homeschooling may not be suitable for everyone, but the school offers great tools and offers all materials needed for home schooling. I can highly reccomend this school.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 4

Posted August 27, 2014
CAVA is an excellent option for students. I am disappointed to read the misleading comments regarding college. I have two children who have graduated from CAVA-LA. One is enrolled at a private university in California. He was accepted to 6 of 7 colleges he applied to including U of O, CSU Chico and others. He is currently in his Junior year. My daughter left an excellent brick and mortar high school her senior year to graduate from CAVA and is now attending Sonoma State University. The downside of CAVA is if your child wants to go into Division I athletics. Do your research, take appropriate classes, begin to work freshman year to design college options...

Posted June 08, 2014
My 6th grader finished his 1st year at CAVA middle school. I was very skeptical at first, but the program is great! You get all of the materials & help you need; the teachers are so nice, caring & helpful, & if you are a responsible parent, your child will learn. You do need to be organized. This is not for every student. It's a rigorous program -your child has to be responsible, honest & committed. I had 2 sons in public middle school & I can say that the lessons (esp Eng/Science) are at minimum at par with the public middle school in our nice area- a school state ranked at 9/10, w/API of 889 & CA Distinguished School. Furthermore, I rate the majority of CAVA's lessons, especially in History, Art & Math as above average compared to the aforementioned public school. My 6th grader learned so much academically, including leadership & was honored w/membership in National Junior Honor Society. Needless to say, I have allowed re-registration into CAVA for the next school year. This rating is only for Middle School. I hear that they still have a ways to go with respect to the High School, which is a shame. Nonetheless, my son is happy right now (and me too!) & bored no more w/school.

Posted April 22, 2014
What a fantastic experience! After trying several different Independent Study options, CAVA was by far the best. Excellent curriculum, caring and helpful teachers and great online platform. I only wish I found the program sooner. Mrs. Villalobos is the best.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School
2360 Shasta Way, Simi Valley, CA  93065
Last modified California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top