Public charter
Simi Valley, CA
Students enrolled: 4,222

Posted September 21, 2014
My offspring is going here since the beginning of the school year, and I'm impressed how great this school is. I do want to point out that homeschooling may not be suitable for everyone, but the school offers great tools and offers all materials needed for home schooling. I can highly reccomend this school.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 4

Posted August 27, 2014
CAVA is an excellent option for students. I am disappointed to read the misleading comments regarding college. I have two children who have graduated from CAVA-LA. One is enrolled at a private university in California. He was accepted to 6 of 7 colleges he applied to including U of O, CSU Chico and others. He is currently in his Junior year. My daughter left an excellent brick and mortar high school her senior year to graduate from CAVA and is now attending Sonoma State University. The downside of CAVA is if your child wants to go into Division I athletics. Do your research, take appropriate classes, begin to work freshman year to design college options...

Posted June 08, 2014
My 6th grader finished his 1st year at CAVA middle school. I was very skeptical at first, but the program is great! You get all of the materials & help you need; the teachers are so nice, caring & helpful, & if you are a responsible parent, your child will learn. You do need to be organized. This is not for every student. It's a rigorous program -your child has to be responsible, honest & committed. I had 2 sons in public middle school & I can say that the lessons (esp Eng/Science) are at minimum at par with the public middle school in our nice area- a school state ranked at 9/10, w/API of 889 & CA Distinguished School. Furthermore, I rate the majority of CAVA's lessons, especially in History, Art & Math as above average compared to the aforementioned public school. My 6th grader learned so much academically, including leadership & was honored w/membership in National Junior Honor Society. Needless to say, I have allowed re-registration into CAVA for the next school year. This rating is only for Middle School. I hear that they still have a ways to go with respect to the High School, which is a shame. Nonetheless, my son is happy right now (and me too!) & bored no more w/school.

Posted April 22, 2014
What a fantastic experience! After trying several different Independent Study options, CAVA was by far the best. Excellent curriculum, caring and helpful teachers and great online platform. I only wish I found the program sooner. Mrs. Villalobos is the best.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 2

Posted April 08, 2014
Cava in the last year has changed. The sixth grade curriculum is awful and they do not give the learning coaches (parents) the answers for tests so if child gets it wrong you do not even know what the correct answer is. The teacher should have the answers! Science is a joke, no text book, and the unit tests are treacherous (especially when you don't have answers as a parent). It was great but no longer. The management and leadership has dwindled also.

Posted March 13, 2014
CAVA @ Los Angeles is fantastic for 4th-8th grade. Younger kids would benefit from interaction & CAVA HS program has issues. That said, I wish I found it sooner. Son had 1st grade public & 2nd-6th in small private. I was worried his education suffered. I refused the idea of public middle school so gave CAVA a try. WOW! It was perfect. If focused on a subject, he stayed on it as long as he wanted. Here's where learning is different & knowledge is retained. He's strong in English so tested out of most of the work & concentrated on what he didn't. This keeps a child from getting bored, no needless repetition. Fly over what you know & more time for what needs to work on. The Scantron testing is great to see where help is needed & what the kid mastered allowing a more individualized program. I knew nothing about my son educationally until CAVA. No it's not for everyone & he DID NOT DO High School w/ CAVA because hated the mandatory online "group" classes. He went to HS for a year & at 15 to college. I think CAVA really gave him a chance to excel & me a chance to see he was learning. Now considering 4th grader with IEP. COMMON CORE next year in public? NO WAY

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 1

Posted November 07, 2013
CAVA--San Joaquin. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS HIGH SCHOOL. This "school" does not inform parents upon enrollment that their child's courses will not get them into California state universities. We moved to CA from the east coast two months ago, enrolled our child in CAVA, and just discovered these requirements, on our own. We are now removing our child and enrolling in another school. And though our child has spent time earning all A's and A+'s at CAVA, our child now will start the year over so as to remove these useless classes from our child's transcript. If this school is representative of California's public schools, the system is a joke.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 1

Posted August 22, 2013
DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO CAVA OR ANY OTHER ONLINE SCHOOL IF YOUR CHILD HAS GOALS TO ATTEND A UNIVERSITY STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT A-G APPROVED. FOR CA STUDENTS, CHECK DOORWAYS WHICH LIST SCHOOLS AND THEIR COURSES THAT ARE QUALIFIED FOR UC AND CSU SCHOOLS. MY SON TOOK BIOLOGY AND WORLD HISTORY. THESE COURSE ARE WASC ACCREIDTED AND GOOD FOR HIM TO GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL BUT NOT FOR A UNIVERSITY. ITS WORSE WITH INSIGHTS, THAT SCHOOL ISNT ON THE LIST PERIOD. CAVA AND OTHER ONLINE SCHOOL WORK GREAT FOR HIGH SCHOOL GRADS ONLY. PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK MOM'S AND DAD'S. GOOD LUCK, MOM

Posted July 25, 2013
CAVA saved my life. My kids used to attend a school with a very high API (940's). The teachers and administrators would bully my kids over ridiculous policies (like a dress code for 6-year olds) even though they earned straight A's! After we switched to CAVA, we can sleep until 10:00, my kids have fun, gain interest in so many different areas. My older one's math is even better than when she was in regular school because we are one-on-one, and i get to explain any questions she may have. The curriculum is excellent, and my kids (ages 8 and 10) learn Science, History, Art and Foreign Language in addition to Math and English. Many schools with high API's are unable to offer such a variety of coursework due to their focus on Math and English.They also provide materials to do science experiments at home, while many brick and mortar schools do not have the capacity to allow kids such hands on activities. One school we attended took a field trip to COSTCO and charged $5 (really.) Our field trips are to museums, zoos, wilderness areas, and observatories. It takes a lot of work to complete each year, and we make up every day we miss and often work on "vacation" days to do so.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School 4

Posted June 03, 2013
I am very happy with CAVA. Although the curriculum is very rigorous, it still allows my student to work at his own pace. We can pick and choose how long to spend on a particular subject. I have had great teacher support and learning coach trainings.This program allows the flexibility for my son to focus on sports. The one on one mentoring has been exactly what my son needed. Homeschooling is not easy, but the rewards outweigh the challenges.

California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School
2360 Shasta Way, Simi Valley, CA  93065
Last modified California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
California Virtual Academy @ Los Angeles School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top