Stockton, CA

Posted June 23, 2013
If you are concerned about elementary school rankings, don't worry about sending your child to Brookside Elementary. Brookside tied Green Valley Elementary in Danville and Sutter Elementary in Santa Clara in 2012 on CST scores with the combined CST score of 815. Brookside closely followed: Country Club Elementary (San Ramon - CST 818) College Park Elementary (San Mateo - CST 819) Oliveira Elementary (Fremont - CST 819) Brookside outranked the following public elementary schools in 2012: Brookvale Elementary (Fremont - CST 814) Daves Avenue Elementary (Los Gatos - CST 811) Lexington Elementary (Los Gatos - CST 811) Bracher Elementary (Santa Clara - CST 809) Twin Creeks Elementary (San Ramon - CST 809) Arroyo Elementary (Livermore - CST 807) Washington Elementary (Santa Clara - CST 804) Barren Park Elementary (Palo Alto - CST 802) Glenmore Elementary (Fremont - CST 800) Murwood Elementary (Walnut Creek - CST 800) Roy Cloud Elementary (Redwood City - CST 797)

Posted February 28, 2013
I would like to reply to the review about the PTSA raising funds. Yes we have a lot of fundraisers, more than the other schools. However that is because Brookside does not qualify for grants and funding from state and federal goverment programs because there are not enough "low income" students enrolled. We raised $20,000 2 years ago to get new computers that hadn't been updated in almost 10 years for the entire school. We raised $12,000 4 years ago and put in a track. The continual fundraising for "Save Science Camp" is a district wide fundraiser because the district believes in all or none of the schools attending. If you attend the meetings and talk to the teachers you'll find out there is a reason for these fundraisers. Last year the PTSA repainted and decorated the multi-use room as the school is in it's 20th year educating our community. Yes it is a public school but not all public schools get the same funding as others. It can be difficult at times to be accepted if you don't live in the Brookside community (I know because I don't, but live in the district myself). I just made myself available and offered to help and I've gotten to know many of the PTSA members.

Posted May 21, 2012
Our family loves this school! We feel happy the minute we set foot on campus! My child started at Brookside this school year in the first grade and he thrived there, academically and socially. The teachers were outstanding, but there are two other factors that elevate this school to "great" status. The first is the principal....he really sets a positive but firm tone, keeping the children feeling safe, secure, and knowing their boundaries. The second is the level of parent involvement. In my opinion, a great school needs great parents in order to succeed. This school has very involved parents who are willing to commit time and money to keep it great. I read previous criticisms about the school doing too much fundraising. It can definitely get annoying, so you just have to do what you can and not participate in each and every fundraiser. Just remember, without those fundraisers, this school would not be able to accomplish what it has. Our family does not have the means to contribute every single time, but we do what we can and appreciate the efforts of the PTSA!

Posted May 03, 2012
We LOVE Brookside. The parents are incredibly hands on, the teachers go the extra mile, and the principle is outstanding. There are plenty of enriching after school activities (the annual play production, Science Olympiad, band/orchestra, language and art class offerings, etc.) as well as Science Camp and myriad field trips well attended by parents. It is an enthusiastic community with a very active PTA. Go Bobcats!

Posted November 27, 2011
Our two children attend Brookside and we are so pleased with the quality of the education our children are receiving. The teachers and staff are dedicated to both the intellectual and emotional needs of the children and make a real effort with each child. There is a lot of parental involvement and a strong partnership between the school and parents. The children, teachers and parents work together and this team spirit is reflected in the school's test scores. This large and incredibly diverse elementary school provides children a quality educational experience.

Brookside School 3

Posted October 10, 2011
This school does great academically but..... 1. This school is all about money! You would think it was a private school the way they fundraise and ask for donations constantly. It is very annoying. If they can think of a fundraiser about any ridiculous thing they will do it....like a birthday book club where your student celebrates their birthday by buying a book for the library lol. 2. The majority of the parents are all snootie and walk around with their nose in the air. If you're not wearing the latest 7 For All Man Kind Jeans or Ed Hardy T-shirt you'll get the cold shoulder. 3. The PTSA is headed by the worst of the above. (See number 2) All uppity Brookside Country Club residents. I tried getting involved when my kids started there but did not like the way I was treated. Sorry, your loss! 4. The prinicpal is so high strung it's unbelievable. The last principal was much better! 5. We only stay because the teachers are great but the school itself and snootie parents are too much. We find it best to keep to ourself.

Posted September 02, 2011
My son loves this school! He really likes his afternoon kindergarten teacher! He says that the other teachers help out in the class and he likes them all! Mr. Conklin is great and he is always walking around the campus making sure everything is going good with the school! He knows how to run a school! I am very satisfied with the staff at this school. Ms. Jaime is great as well! Keep up the work Brookside staff! Your all doing great! I like the way his teacher writes little notes on the classwork that keeps me informed on what we need to work on at home!

Posted August 25, 2011
My daughter started 1st grade here and we have never been disappointed. Now in the 4th grade the teachers work as a team to make sure all of the students excel at their full potential. This has been the case for all of the grades. Our teachers take pride in all of the students, not just the ones on their roster. If you think a public school achieving a score over 800 api is impossible look at our scores. Not only have we been above 850, the last 3 years we have continued to increase this score. The principle, Mr. Conklin makes sure to know all of his students and their parents. He is easily approachable at any time and is not afraid to be a sport in the student's fun dress up days. From yellow day dressed in a Banana costume to school spirit Friday in a Brookside Bobcat $5 PTSA t-shirt you can be sure he is not your typical Principal.

Posted August 13, 2010
I have one child who completed Brookside and two others currently attending the school. The parental involvement is amazing. PTSA raises aorund $40,000 per year! Teachers are open, creative and friendly. Parents are welcomed to help out in the classroom. This is the third principal we have had in six years but quite possibly the best. Open door policy. My kids thrive academically and socially.

Brookside School 4

Posted June 02, 2009
Great school, outstanding parent involvement, dedicated teachers. My son loves Brookside and is excelling in school. The only negative I have with the school in general is the parents create a culture based on affluence at school. There's too much emphasis on name brands. Food donations for PTSA events have to be a certain brand. The PTSA should worry more about nutritional values, rather than the name on the box. I believe the kids pick up on this and this can lead to the bullying that goes around at school. Although this has not affect my child as of yet. Parents at the school need to do a better job of explaining to their children that they need to value what's inside rather than how something appears on the outside, whether it be a carton of juice , clothing, or another individual.

Brookside School
2962 Brookside Road, Stockton, CA  95219
Last modified Brookside School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brookside School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top