No rating

Rainbow Montessori C.D.C.

Private | K-6 | 472 students

Student diversity

Living in Sunnyvale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $413,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted November 12, 2013

This school can be the one of the best if someone can change management specially director . She is so incompetent to the extent if someone walks in with some issue she just cant handle it. She should be more approachable and the first person to solve any kind of problem. Most of the teachers don't even speak proper English which is the most unfortunate thing. School reputation is going beyond even normal standards .

Posted July 2, 2013

This is not a school, but a military style teaching institution. The kids have no fun time in school, but only work, learn and work again. There is no craft and artwork, but only writing and drawing, and everything is related to learning. Their curriculum is 2nd grade level for 1st grade and 1st grade in kindergarten. If your child cannot read before kindergarten, then this is not a right school. The kids are not allowed to talk to each other during the day, except during recess. The school encourages bragging about the kids progress and everything is about being the best in class (due to the different cultural background of the teachers and the director competition is desirable). Most of the teachers have very strong Indian accent and are difficult to understand. The director ignores the inputs from the parents, even after having promised to resolve them. Management is incompetent, but very friendly and always smiling. The teachers claim that the kids have fun, but I have never seen the kids smiling or laughing during the day. Having fun while learning is not a concept that this school endorses.

Posted June 27, 2013

This is a GREAT school. One great thing you can pick the class you want. For toddlers I highly recommend Ms Kumud, she is an Indian teacher, she ensures your child eats, is warm and talk to her and she will give you a clear picture of your child's day. In preschool Ms. Sonia you will be amazed when you see your child color, read and know their numbers, and Ms. Elizabeth, your 3 or 4 yr old will be reciting the preamble, the 44 presidents and little anecdotes about them, the original colonies. Just amazing. Kindergarten Ms. Sora, or Ms. Natalie. Your child will gain confidence and discipline too, both teachers are so good at instilling respect. 1st grade Ms. Grace and Ms. Shubhada's combo class. The combo class has REALLY high standard, so be prepared to have a HUGE load of homework but your child will be so prepared for higher grades. But this class can be very taxing if you or your child are not ready for it !! Third grade I have heard of Ms. Preety but don't have any personal experience but although she is strict her students love her. Great school. My only complaint is I wish the elementary director was more visible and more approachable.

Posted June 20, 2013

I agree, Ms Sonia is a really GREAT teacher. You don't find teachers like her these days. She is so dedicated and her children just love her, in spite of the fact that she is VERY strict, but she is loving too and her children know this. I am also so happy with Ms. Elisabeth what a wonderful teacher. I was so amazed to hear my child list the preamble this from the mouth of 4 year old baby. i really thank RB for hiring such wonderful teachers. I know that in all the grades there are wonderful teachers, Ms Sora and Natalie, Ms Preety, Ms Shubhada, Ms. Grace, Ms Dory ... This is an amazing school. Now they just need to find a good principal/director for the elementary side.

Posted May 19, 2013

Both my sons goes to RM and they just love it. We started when my son was 18 months old and we had a wonderful experience with staff and teachers. Ms.Khumud, Ms.Sonia & Ms.Padma are amazing teachers who are so caring & loving. I never seen any teacher like Ms.Padma who comes with innovative ideas & helps kids to move quickly up the ladder. Ms.Boi is so helpful and understanding. I would strongly recommend anyone to send their kids to this school.

Posted April 29, 2013

My son has been attending this school for almost 5 years. If you drive into the parking lot, drop off your kid and then wait in line to exit, it's a real mess. Too many cars from too many different places trying to converge towards the sole point of egress was a big cluster "you-know-what" . Fortunately, they have started using cones to redirect traffic around the lot and it is a LOT better (I wish they had done this sooner!). I used to park outside on Duane Ave. and then walk my son into the school whenever possible, but now I don't mind driving into the parking lot to drop him off. I"m guessing Dave R. was the one who improved the situation. Hats off to him! He has also done a lot of other things to improve the school like restriping the parking lot and adding that outdoor staircase so it's easier to exit from the 2nd floor. Good thing he's there! As far as the teachers go, I've had old and young, strict and not-so-strict, and so on. Personally, I have found all of them to be patient and willing to talk to me about anything. I felt that we were treated fairly and I don't feel that any of the school's protocols or requirements were unreasonable. Just my .02

Posted March 14, 2013

Yes, my child too knows the presidents and the first ladies thanks to Ms Elizabeth. Thanks Rainbow for hiring the best teachers. My child is not in Ms Sonia's class, there was a wait list to this class, I know I should have insisted but went with another class. I have heard Ms Sonia is the best teacher for preschool, children will read, know their numbers etc. My 2nd child will go to this class for sure!!! Rainbow Rocks!!!

Posted December 20, 2012

How safe is this school. Last time when I am looking for schools and stop by. I didn't take appointment and entered the school. No one at gate or no one stopped me. No one even notice. So, I can enter the school if I want anytime. Looks like management don't care who is coming and leaving. I also do the same at The Wonder years Preschool in Mountain view. They stopped me at the gate and didn't allow inside and said I have to make an appointment before coming. Parents, next time when you leave your kids somewhere, think about their safety. Schools should focus on safe measures

Posted December 3, 2012

I cannot believe that the School does not resolve the parking situation. Each time parents walk up to the Director we are turned to someone else and the issue soon dies. Parents are put through daily torture living with the parking situation and it was not this bad until they redid the parking space.

Posted October 19, 2012

My kids went to RM for 4 years. Of course the montessori method of teaching is great, but not all teachers and specially the Director is not so good, with her it is always one way communication.In 4 years for my two kids i sent thousands of dollars , I dont think we got the value for money. Kids learning capability doesn't improve, it remains same. Teachers are more focused on preparing and printing out the hand out and homeworks and individual attention is not there. Teacher/student ration is like 1:23 for 2nd grade, so most of the time they are over tired. Parents teacher meeting is twice in a year that is 30 minutes in a year- that is to show the progress reports. Lunch they provide is so that most of the time kids wont eat. As in Sunnyvale there is not many choices for a full time school, the school still has about thousand kids.

Posted August 31, 2012

Our daughter attended RM from 3 mths to almost 7 yrs old. Our twins attended from 3 mths to almost 5 yrs old. We then moved to Europe where our daughter attended 2nd grade in a private school (local public school hours were way too short for working parents) and our twins attended a public Kindergarten. None of our kids spoke much German at the time of the move. My daughter still ended up being the best student in her class in math, sciences, writing and even German spelling. I credit her RM education for giving her learning skills that served her well in her new environment. My twins had a blast in the German KG playing and singing all day, but they lost much of the writing and counting skills they had acquired in preschool at RM. At RM, KG kids know at least how to write their names. In Europe, pictures were used to identify kids' stuff. At RM, you get accident reports every time something happens, which we missed in Europe. Also, RM enforces discipline by counseling students and parents as needed. In Europe, we experienced bullying and foul language from kids without teachers doing much to stop it. Overall, we look back to our kids' years at RM with respect and gratitude.

Posted August 20, 2012

My Kid currently goes to Rainbow Montessori & I love this school. The staff is flexible if the child has any particular needs. The teachers are always willing to talk to you about your child s progress and help out. I would highly recommend this to every one.

Posted August 20, 2012

Both of my kids go to this school and they both love it very much. Whenever, I had any issues I always talked to the school director to sort out any problems. I am glad that she respects parent s opinions instead of thrusting her own and is willing to make a positive difference as much as possible. The fees are very reasonable for a private school and the kids seem very happy here. I have toured other private schools also but in the end this is where the kids seemed to be most comfortable. Therefore, I made my decision to put both my kids here. For any parents who are looking for a private school don go for the exterior things like how pretty the school looks like instead see how happy & confident the kids look like in that school. In early ages of their life that is all that matters.

Posted August 11, 2012

This is a great school and fits all our requirements. My kids have been there for the past 6 years. Education Standards are very good and they have a lot of extra curriculars like Spanish, music, art, computers. The good thing is there are several sections and you can choose a classroom/teacher that fits your child's needs. The only complaint I have is about the new uniforms which are not readily available in every store.

Posted June 23, 2012

Parents who are posting bad reviews, should just leave the school, but not, they blame everyone around- teachers, director, classmates,secretary. Forgot the janitor.I think Mrs. Rodenborn who's been running this school for more than 30 years knows what she is doing. Enyone can post anything since there is no face immage. Wher e is your selfesteem?Dignity? Just leave the school and be happy with your life.

Posted June 21, 2012

I am not a big fan of Rainbow's elementary section, but I want to respond to whoever posted "Our disappointment about our child's Kindergarten teacher has no limit." - seriously, did you not see your child writing his own name in the whole year at K? and your child never volunteered to read you a book in the whole year.. Usually kids are pretty good at bragging about this basic reading\writing skill to everyone they know. So, problem is not the teacher here.. its something else. As a parent, you should first figure that out instead of blaming a teacher. Also, what credibility that first grade teacher has that she is recommending tutoring for a 5\6 year old on the third day of summer school? Are you sure that teacher is not trying to run her own side business. Many so called great teachers at Rainbow have their after school classes in the name of teaching kids advanced stuff. I wonder why school even allows that.

Posted April 3, 2012

I have a child in V16, also. I must say that the last review is completely false. The teacher has prepared the students well for the next year. They have covered beyond the standards in almost all areas. She is organized, prepared, and is always working to make learning fun for the students. My child is very happy there. As for correcting each other's homework, I know that this is a practice done in other classes also. Laps are also used by other classes. Teachers need some recourse when dealing with discipline. I am extremely lucky to have had this teacher for my child. My child will not only be prepared for the 5th grade but will also have respect for those around them. Thank you for everything you do. My child is extremely happy and has never complained...they love their teacher!!

Posted March 23, 2012

I was so disappointed about the fourth grade teacher in V16.She did not have any experience in montessori philosophy and she was so rude to the kids.The classroom was in chaos and she did not teach math,spelling,language very well.The students had to correct the other kids homework.She punished the kids by giving them quizzes or tests daily.The worst thing was the several laps during recess.Some students were assigned by the teacher to be monitors and they had the authority to punish other students with additional laps.The class environment was so hostile.

Posted February 11, 2012

Our family has had children attending Rainbow for nearly a decade. Sometimes we made teacher requests and sometimes did not. In all cases, we have been extremely satisfied by the caring and committed teachers who have worked with our children. If you have concerns about something happening in your child's class, please talk with your child's teacher directly. It is harmful for the whole community to position the teachers in opposition to one another. We have a child in L8 kindergarten now, and we are very happy with the progress she is making in all academic, social, and emotional areas. Do we finish the homework on time every week? No. We check in with the teacher regularly and let her know what we are and are not doing regarding homework. She has always been very supportive and kind. As a whole, we appreciate the increased number of field trips and assemblies we've seen across all grade levels in recent years. We are not supportive of the pending changes to the school dress code requiring skirts for girls and ties and dress shirts for all on Mondays and field trip days. We believe this must be repealed because it is discriminatory and not aligned with Montessori philosophy.

Posted February 10, 2012

Well said by another parent below - KG class doesn't define their success in life, but stress at age 5 can lead to problems in life. Parents, you know your kid the best, first figure out what will make your kid happy and then decide. Final note: yes, teachers do matter, but please do not completely rely on outsiders to work on your kids.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. David Rodenborn
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori