733 students|Cupertino Union

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Posted August 14, 2016
My son graduated from Nimitz this June.He spent six wonderful years there and had fantastic, engaged, dedicated and highly experienced teachers. Mrs. Ito, a principal, and Mrs.Kropp a vice principal are the best and the most responsive professionals, loving and just toward children and cooperative with parents. The school population is very diverse, both nationally and socially. It's a World in small, really. RTI program for leveled reading, Soul Shoppe (anti-bullying training), Recess 101( a special PE program ), Art, Music, Math Olympiad, Math Night, Science Night and many other events are all focused for benefitting students and their families. PTA is strong and welcoming. Overall, we had the most pleasant experience.

Posted January 10, 2016
My daughter is studying in this school for the past 2 years. It's been a good experience. She's improved on her English, math, creativity and interest in sports.

Grateful to: Parent

Posted October 07, 2015
Great food, parents! I love the lunches you bring us. Thank you very much. You are appreciated.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 04, 2015
There is no words to say it :( the school, the police, the cupertino district help me my child was attending kindergarten one day my child said the teacher put glue on to my child peni because the teacher said was funny and was a game the teacher didn't tell us nothing about

Posted June 04, 2015
They didn't help me with nothing to resolve a problem with my child The teacher suppose clean my child Penni's but the teacher didn't tell us nothing my child tell us the true The teacher put glue because it was a game and was funny. The said to my son no body help us the police, the Cupertino district no body even the TV. If someone can help me please please

Posted May 29, 2015
I have very bad experience with this school. My son is in third grade now. He was put in the ELD program since he was in the first grade. The teachers don't care about students at all. They always yell to my son when he didn't answer their questions or not pay attention in the class. He feels bad and low self-esteem. He used to be a very active kid. But he doesn't even talk at school now. I feel very upset and don't know if I have choice to transfer to other public school. Hope someone can help me.

Posted April 30, 2015
We have had a very good experience during my child's first year at Nimitz. The Kindergarten team is fantastic and students have a chance to work with several teachers in addition to their main teacher. My child's Kindergarten teacher, Mr. Morwood, is energetic, funny and skilled. My child absolutely adores going to school every day. Mr. Morwood is also extremely good at responding to parent concerns and questions. I have found the Principal and Assistant Principal to be responsive and helpful. The school wide activities at Nimitz are appropriate and well-planned. I appreciated the recent school 'math night' and the Walk-a-thon earlier this spring. This is an extremely diverse school, both racially and socio-economically, which I think benefits the students greatly.

Posted September 24, 2014
This school is not equipped to conduct TK classes. The TK teachers at Nimitz seem inexperienced and lack the know-how of dealing with 4-5 year olds. We are surprised with school's liberal policies when it comes to physical bullying. There's a lot of hitting and pushing in all 3 TK classrooms that the school does not wish to acknowledge. Its sad that Nimitz was chosen as one of the TK centers.

Chester W. Nimitz Elementary School 2

Posted June 22, 2014
This is a response to "A parent " who talked about the bullying problem in March 2014. Your situation is not alone. We used to attend Nimitz and chose to leave when the school didn't deal with the situation quickly and fairly. The situation lasted for more than 6 months and still wasn't dealt efficiently. My kid was miserable during that whole year. I should have pulled him out sooner! I think you did the right thing to pull your kid out of there abruptly! We transferred to another public school. Let me tell you this, not every school deals with the bullying situation the same way. After transferring to the new school only for a month, I knew my son will be safe in that environment. Whenever there was teasing or bullying, the teacher will call out both parties and also "all" (no kidding) the bystanders and witnesses to make sure the situation is clearly understood. When dealt this way, all students knew no one can be immured of punishment for being a bully and all students will feel safe. In my experience, Nimitz didn't deal with it this way. The principal at the new school is absolutely wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better one!

Chester W. Nimitz Elementary School 3

Posted March 06, 2014
My son has always enjoyed learning here. Teachers are kind, dedicated, and creative. However, in 1st grade, my son was physically bullied by his friend multiple times. The kid and his parents were given warnings under the table but that was it. Although physical bullying stopped, this kid turned hostile - he made nasty comments and even threats to my son. The other kids were clueless as to what happened. We reported him again but it didn't help. Worse yet, more kids including my son's friends joined in the teasing as if showing off. After months, my son was so frustrated that he did not want to go to school anymore. So we left abruptly. To be fair, this problem may not be unique at Nimitz. Because of large class size and shorter school days, there is little room for character education. Kids could be picking up values from the corrupted media. And when something happens, the school's response is indifferent, inadequate, ineffective, and invisible. We moved the kids to a small Christian school. He liked God's rules and appreciates daily behavior checks. After our bad experience at Nimitz, all is not lost. We learnt to be very appreciative of a positive learning environment.

545 East Cheyenne Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94087-4421
Last modified Chester W. Nimitz Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.