Vargas Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Sunnyvale

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $547,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,610.

Posted August 29, 2013

The school year has gotten off to a great start! It was nice to see nearly every student adhere to the uniform policy. The vast majority of parents are overjoyed. I do think it's unfortunate that some parents are putting their children in the mindset of not following rules. Using your child as a way to 'prove a point' is irresponsible parenting. Making your kid go to school without the uniform puts their child in the uncomfortable position of being different from his peers. As you mature, you find this to be a good quality however for your child, not so much. I really hope the principal finds the courage to ignore the nay-sayers and enforce the uniform policy otherwise, what would have been the point of working so hard to get this policy implemented. Please respect the majority choice of the parents. Let's put the focus back to learning, come to school ready, and that means being in uniform. So far so good, Vargas has gained 33 points in API score.

Posted August 22, 2013

I was expecting negative experience at the time that my kid moved to Vargas last year because of many negative reviews and not that good community rating. However, with more time, I have to admit that Vargas is not a bad school at all. It has dedicated teachers and principle, and it has wonderful kids as well. I am very disappointed at the accusation against PTA. I would like to see all parents coming out to volunteer their time just like every PTA member does. Please pay respect to other parent s hard work, and make your own contribution as well.

Posted August 19, 2013

A response to "PTA Board are Bullies and work against the system" I'm a parent and also a member of the PTA at Vargas. Whoever wrote the review is absolutely irresponsible and reckless. The current PTA members are dedicated parents who made sacrifices in their life so they can support the school and all of the children who attends the school. The current members are not associated with the past administration that was involved with the embezzlement of the fund. On the contrary, the current PTA members stepped up to replace the previous administration and were able to raise sufficient funding after it was stolen to support the children at Vargas. I will not hide behind my review and will be at the PTA meetings to let the members know who wrote this posting and I'll be more than happy to address the false accusation of the current PTA Board at Vargas. I'm positive that all current PTA members will support me with this accurate review.

Posted July 17, 2013

PTA Board members our Bullies and work against the system. Current President and board are still part of the last one that stole from the kids. The PTA continues to act as though they control the parents interest but actually control only their own. No one wants to volunteer because the way they run things. Volunteer leadership should be respected not abused and used for personal gains. This is the current way this board works. Don't agree step away from their organization.

Posted January 26, 2013

the front desk staff is super rude. I went to the school's office in hope of getting information about enrolling my child in the school but the front desk lady (with a big build) was not nice. she did not give clear information but when i asked questions, she scolded me to show her frustration that i asked questions. Every question I asked has been deferred to school's website. I wonder what is her responsibility as a front desk clerk? Before visiting the school office, I was so sure that i would give public school a trial by enrolling my child there. I walked out of the office and determined that the staff did not treat me as a potential parent at the school with respect. How are they going to educate and take good care of my little one? Private school it is! the director at the CDC next door is a lot nicer and helpful in spending time explaining about activities and programs at the CDC.

Posted September 28, 2012

My son has been coming here for over a year now. The district gave a new principal that is great, had made sure that most of the teachers are pretty good, and the new PTA is reasonable good. They are trying to help Vargas. The problem is that there is no an interested community to build on. It is really hard to find parents that care about their kids education, so few people is up against a big wall of problems. Among all the problems the principal is up against, the latest PTA was secretive and wasted most of the kids money. Then, the little bit that was left got stolen. So the new PTA is trying to restore morale, trust and bring family participation, but is almost impossible. I see how teachers have to tell parents that it would help if they try to connect with their kids, read together and get involved in their day by day life. Apparently, it had to be said, but is not enough, they still don't do it. If the community is not involved in this, the test scores are not going to improve.

Posted October 17, 2011

I am a parent who has a student that currently attends Vargas, my child really loves his teacher who is kind to all the children, but I am more worried about the low level work they hand out to the students what worries me the most is the people they hire to watch the students during recess, they dont even watch the students they just sit on there butts andtalk to eachother. They are also VERY rude and yell at all the kids for no reason. the office doesnt care when you put in a complaint about the issue because they are low staffed! they just dont care about your kids!

Posted September 30, 2011

I had my daughter at this school. It sucks. My daughter's first grade teacher was very negative from the start. Didnt give my daughter a chance. I asked about the KLAS and how I can put her in that after school program and they said it was full already. KLAS is for kids to do their homework or get help in other subjects. When I passed by there all the kids were playing around. They abuse this program and use it as an after school daycare. My daughter goes to a way better school. I regret taking her to this school from the start. Everyone has their own opinion.

Posted August 22, 2011

My first experience with Vargas,all I can say is grandaughter's Kinder teacher was great.My grandaughter did not go to preschool and she came out learning SO much. The dress code was wishy washy, the lice alerts were way too many. I feel the school needs more direction and leadership. Need to also do a website like Ellis does, keep parents posted via web. Time to update and keep up with the times..

Posted August 16, 2011

I'm guessing the person below me IS on the PTA. Or they probably are the person everyone is complaining about.

Posted June 10, 2011

From an exsetensial view I think the parents and leadership of Vargas would be honored to have a leader with a PHD from Stanford. Having a leader in the school that knows what it takes to be successful in education is an invaluable resource. The fact that a parent with credentials as impressive as the current PTA presidents has taken much of their personal time to guide the school toward success should be applauded. I think parents, faculty, and leadership would want to support success instead of settling for comfortable mediocrity that seems to be supported by many of these posts.

Posted May 18, 2011

This school has some great teachers. However, the PTA is most horrible. The PTA president thinks that she owns the school. She screams at the principles in front of the students. Her kid is "my mom is the president of PTA" type. She drove away many good parents from involvement as if she was afraid that they would outshine her. She labelled the school a "Ghetto" and her entourage is a bunch of "YES" people. The teachers behind her are all brainless and have no common sense. It's a no wonder this school is forever in "PI" status having these kinds of teachers around!

Posted March 21, 2011

I was a student at Vargas Elementary School now I am a first year college student. I had a good experience at the school but my good experience at the school turn for the worst when I went to the 5th grade, the teacher (who is still a teacher on the campus and is female.) I got was very mean to me in the form of tell me to stay after when the other would go play at recess then calling me very mean names for almost a full school year.

Posted February 17, 2011

This school has very dedicated and highly committed teachers, but the new lleadership at this school is worrisome. I would think twice before sending my child back to this school. Many families have already left because of the new leadership. What an unfortunate circumstance to happen to a school that is so full of promise and discovery.

Posted June 23, 2010

I wished I'd interviewed the faculty before moving my child to this school. After the fact, I'd learned from friends that when they'd interviewed the principal told them that they would not want their own family members at this school! Although my child's last two teachers were very good, my child felt many of the kids were "bad" and feared that ignoring them was not an option. I agree with a previous posting stating the faculty being passive and the lack of concern over students' behavior. I've heard that the school has a disciplinary game plan for next year.

Posted May 3, 2010

Vargas is a great school. The teachers and the principle are wonderful. The students are amazing! :)

Posted March 3, 2010

I have a child in this school and I am most disappointed in the lack of concern the school gives to the students behavior. It seems the teachers in the lower grades spend more than enough of their time trying to converse with children who do not know how to speak English. My opinion is that the teachers and adm. staff have a passive attitude.

Posted December 11, 2008

The school is very good the teachers give personalised atttention to student's Progress. and we wildin new school

Posted November 2, 2006

My son went to Vargas from K-2. It was a heartbreak. I agree with a previous post about non-english speaking students setting the pace for the class. He was unstimulated and pretty anonymous. My daughter was there for kindergarden only, thank goodness. I've met a few parents from Vargas and we've all agreed that the school is mediocre at best.

Posted August 31, 2006

My 2 kids have been in this school for the past 4 years. The school neither encourage nor support bright kids.

This school's

+33

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students43%

• Annette Grasty
Fax number
  • (408) 522-8308

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1054 Carson Drive