Gaspar De Portola Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1966 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 27, 2014

Great, AMAZING SCHOOL! I love the teachers and it may be hard to find friends, but eventually you find some. I learn a lot and have been coming to this school since 6th grade (in 7th now) I'm currently in honors and I think it's great. Come here if you love nice teachers, cool electives, and a great campus!

Posted March 5, 2014

Portola is good if you're in the Highly Gifted Magnet, and the magnet kids are all friends with each other because the magnet has only about 240 kids. As for my experience? Excruciating. I'm in honors, and most kids in the honors program here are very stuck up and cliquish. It's so hard to make friends here because it's such a huge school for a middle school. I had a friend but she moved to Agoura and is now at Lindero Canyon Middle School. Unless you know kids at Portola from your elementary school, you won't make friends from day one. The math and science honors teachers are so lazy. The school, unlike Millikan, S.O.C.E.S and many other middle schools, has a very mediocre drama program. The instructor does not put on any real plays or musicals because he lets the kids make re-enditions of them, thinking that 12-13 year olds can write plays! I have been in so much agony these past 3 years. I got bullied twice in 6th grade. The homework amount is ridiculous for pre-teens. This was good when my mom attended it, but now it's for the birds. I can't wait to graduate in 3 months and have a better experience in high school, at Calabasas or El Camino, which have amazing programs. :)

Posted January 31, 2014

This school is the BEST! The adults all know my name, yet it is my first year at Portola. I am a sixth grader in the Magnet program. The new principal knows my name, both ladies in the main office, and most of the yard aids. This school has a strict no bullying policy, so the school is bully-free. There is the occasional bullying, but that can usually end up in detention, paper-pickup, or suspension. We have a 30 minute drive every day, but it is worth it. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone and everyone who asks, "What school do you think I should go to?" BEST SCHOOL EVER!

Posted October 30, 2013

GPMS is a good school, our child has been in this school for 1 year , from mid 7th-8th, and has no complains so far.

Posted September 30, 2013

I would give this school zero star if I could. The worst middle school honors program in the valley. Unless you are in the HG magnet, stay away from this school !!!

Posted September 26, 2013

This school does not prepare students adequately for high school. Even in the honors program, my straight A son could not pass a take home test my neighbor's son had from his school. Over the years, we have been disappointed overall with the quality of the teachers and the principal, and now there is a fair comparison of how prepared my son REALLY is. The new principal seems to have a strong impact on the teachers as there is a definite change in atmosphere (for the better ! ) but I fear it is too late for my son to feel any change in the teaching levels. Overall, the academics here is not very challenging - I'd like to believe my boy is very smart - he gets great grades, but it seems that this is due to the teaching and/or material not being challenging enough. He'd get crushed at a different middle school.

Posted September 26, 2013

This school may have a great magnet program . My child is an honor student. She is a straight A's student. But the honor class for 7th grader is just poorly taught by bad teachers with silly homework. The work the kids learn in class is below the honor level of other schools. My kid is bored out her mind, student in honor asking silly questions in class and the teachers does not stay with the subject. I am considering changing school or home school my kid. Public school are not teaching her the education she need to prepare for high school. I drive 35 min everyday to this school and feel like its a waste of time and gas. I would not take my kid here if I knew better . The last 5 weeks is just a waste of time. The teacher has not taught anything valuable.

Posted September 5, 2013

Mr marsh is flat out amazing you could go to him with any problem and its solved in no time flat

Posted September 5, 2013

The athletic coaches were amazing and they train there players to always win and not to lose

Posted September 4, 2013

Portala has been wonderful for my daughter. She is in honors. I was worried about her attending such a large school, but I could not be happier with my decision. Socially and academically, she has grown beyond my expectations. I had always considered private school for her high school years, but because of my experience at portola, I may reconsider that decision.

Posted August 23, 2013

I am very happy so far with the school. The school seems well organized and focused on high achievement.

Posted August 8, 2013

My children attend the HGM at this school. The teachers are keyed into the different way the children in the program think and learn. They are talented, thought provoking and encourage discussion. The Music program is incredible. Mrs. Calkins is a gift to this school. Mrs. Toborowski and Mr. Okimura clearly have an impact on the students. They challenge the students to think outside their comfort zone. Ms. Garcia, the Dean for the HGM students helps guide both the students and the parents as they navigate through this pivotal time in the students' academic careers. The parent group is aggressive (in a positive way) and truly have a voice in how this school operates. Love it here!!!

Posted July 23, 2013

I have had multiple children attend this school over the past six years and have always been extremely pleased. I am concerned about the pending change in Principal's as Ms. Shaha was wonderful. She was incredibly responsive and worked closely with my child and her special Ed needs. I find the majority of teachers and other staff to be personable and caring. It is clear there is a lack of funding which would help with more electives and extra curricular activities. My kids have stated they like the campus and the layout, especially my youngest liking the separation of the sixth graders from the older kids. Although there have been problems with some teachers it appears the issues were handled appropriately and in a timely manner. I would (and have) recommend this school to many family members and friends. If every school in LAUSD were operated like Portola the District's image would be greatly enhanced.

Posted May 4, 2013

I am a parent and contacted the Principal's office after my child told me about the amount of movies being shown in class. I get that movies related to subject matter are appropriate - this is not the case. During last week's CST tests my child watched over 3.5 hours of movies during the school day. That is more than they watch at home in a week! I asked my child about movies in other classes and they made a list of 16 movies they have seen in band, math, science, english and homeroom. Seeing Toy Story, Back to the Future 1, 2 and 3, Thomas the Tank Engine, Mega Mind, Men in Black and several others which had nothing to do with classes is absurd. I never received a call back from the Principal. After repeated calls, I spoke to the assistant Principal who stated that the 3+ hours of movies shown in homeroom was due to the CST tests and he cannot ask homeroom teachers to prepare a plan to entertain the kids during that time. Why not? They are teachers accustomed to preparing lesson plans. I also reminded him that they are not there to entertain the kids, but to teach them. I am sure this fell on deaf ears. There is absolutely no commitment to learning here.

Posted April 23, 2013

Portola has been an excellent school for my daughter. She has been very happy in the highly gifted magnet - the teachers are imaginative and challenging and her fellow students are great. Her electives and more recent PE courses have been taken with the regular school teachers and students and, though less academically challenging than the magnet courses, she has learned a lot from them and certainly enjoyed the students and teachers. The administration is wonderful. We had issues with some obnoxious boys the first year, but the administration handled that well. I could imagine that some students/parents might have a bad experience at Portola. It is a pretty urban school with a lot of diversity. Parents and students, and teachers for that matter come here with a range of life experiences. That has been a good thing for my daughter, but not without some rough patches - life is all about learning to navigate through those rough patches. This is a good school to learn, not just to navigate through life, but to be challenged and to excel! Portola is an incredible school and my daughter has been well prepared to enter North Hollywood Highly Gifted in the fall.

Posted April 15, 2013

The API scores are puzzling as I wonder if the highly gifted magnet scores are over inflating these. I agree with the reviewer that the school is overall a big minus sign with no apparent leadership. School messages are either same day or next day so there seems to be a lot of "calendar surprise" indicating lack of planning. Messages to the principal and teachers often go unanswered and unacknowledged. Very apathetic. School staff is generally anti-social.

Posted March 4, 2013

Great school, great teachers and staff. My child is very happy here and feels very at home. She is in the Honors Program and loves it. It is a big school and there are a lot of choices for her.

Posted September 28, 2012

This is the worst school ever! The staff are very rude and teachers don't care about students. There is no communication between teacher-parent. If you want your kid to success then don't enroll him/her here : /

Posted September 6, 2012

This school gets 840 API scores! How bad can the teaching be to have that as the api schoolwide average! The campus is landscaped beautifully. All teachers and the school info can be found on the website for homework assigned and emailing a teacher. The only problem I see is that there needs to be more openings for 7th grade HG magnet students as those that complete the eagle rock HG magnet thru 6th grade have a slim chance getting in to 7th HG magnet. 0ver 25 never got off the waiting list! They are suppose to choose to leave the eagle rock HG magnet early after 5th grade or complete that HG magnet to 6th grade and hope you are one of the top 3 grade wise to get in to the HG magnet at 7th. Disgraceful to have to make that choice and what, the wannabe 7th grade HG magnet kids of eagle rock HG magnet without being the top 3 grade wise should just digress from a HG magnet continuation?

Posted August 26, 2012

We just finished the second week of school and my child is already off to a bad start with one of his teachers, most likely due to my questioning the teacher. Assignments aren't credited, documetns which I sign for my child to return aren't documented that I signed, so I resign duplicate documents and "points" are lost. They expect your child to be an adult. It was the second week of school, give a child a break.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

578 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

577 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

586 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

449 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

299 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

591 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

592 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

592 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students66%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)73%
Parent education - college graduate77%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate91%
Parent education - declined to state59%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students34%
Parent education - not a high school graduate17%
Parent education - high school graduate28%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)43%
Parent education - college graduate41%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a
Parent education - declined to state32%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2039 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

District average

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields