Carden Arbor View School

Private | K-8 | 175 students

Living in Upland

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $254,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,260.

Sweep tile

Posted October 7, 2013

I love this school. My kids are confident, intelligent, creative and curious. Carden encourages teaching the whole child, not just to succeed at an end of year test like our public schools. They also let children be children. They start off slowly encouraging kids to enjoy the process of learning, and not be overwhelmed by it, like at other private schools. I would encourage parents to do your homework about schools in the area. If you are on this site, it's a good start. But understand that most negative posts are by parents with sour grapes to share, and no school is perfect for everyone. Visit Carden and let your kids spend a day there to check it out. Best of luck in your search.

Posted September 5, 2013

Carden is not a good school. Academically. The teachers, however, are sub-par -- and that's generous. Our children currently attend another private school. If you need a school that creates a make-believe environment to protect your children from the realities of life, Carden Arbor View in Upland is the place for you. If you want strong, academically-prepared children who will be able to thrive in the real world, Carden Arbor View School is not for you.

Posted September 3, 2013

This school has done an amazing job in developing my children scholastically, emotionally, and socially. The teachers are concerned and committed, and the staff has the best interest of the students and families in all they do. The headmaster manages with quiet, caring, but ultimately absolute authority. I love this school, as they are developing my children to be intelligent and motivated human beings who will succeed and not just to be test takers.

Posted June 22, 2012

Our child started Carden as a 6th grader last fall--she loves it and so do we. We wanted a smaller school with great teachers and high moral standards and Carden has outperformed our expectations. Our daughter loved every one of her middle school teachers and learned a lot in every class. Academic standards are traditional and high, and homework is reasonable (limited to 2 hours per weeknight, but usually for her less than an hour). Courses were Grammar (more stuff than I learned in high school), Literature (read Alice in Wonderland, Tom Sawyer, Dog of Flanders and The Odyssey and did different challenging activities with each), Earth and Space Science, Pre-Algebra, Ancient History, and French; also Life Skills, Art, Music, Composition and Computer. There are fun, low-key sports teams in volleyball/football, basketball, archery and track; and student government. The social atmosphere is kind and welcoming (imagine all the 6th grade girls getting along well!) The headmaster is flexible as to what's best for each child, very well-organized, and lives by and teaches the Carden values. We are so glad we found this school.

Posted February 20, 2011

I speak from first hand experience when I say this is a great school. Carden is an amazing school. From the books we read in literature to the equations we do in math, I love this school. In 8th grade literature we read huckleberry finn, julius ceasar, and many other books. In math we go from 5th grade math to algebra 1. This is truly a great school and it is worth every penny!

Posted June 25, 2010

I am a child who attended Carden Arbor View School and found that it was a fantastic! It really prepared me for high school and all the years to come and I will always look back on my 8 Carden years remembering how much I learned and how great of an overall experience I had there. I highly suggest Carden Arbor View School for anyone who wants to send their child to a school that educates very well and truly cares about the whole child and who that child will turn out to be.

Posted March 31, 2010

I think many of the parents coming to the Great Schools site want to know if this is the right place to send their child. I heartily recommend it for all the reasons the other reviewers give, but want to address the issues the 1 star parents cite. Elementary and middle school are about preparing a well rounded learner, not the high school prep classes we take to get into the competitive colleges. The local schools consider Carden one of the best private feeder schools because our students are prepared with the soft skills that come from having a tight knit parent / teacher / administration triple play. Don't be fooled by parents who want elementary school to resemble a prep school. That is high school.

Posted February 11, 2010

I love my school! it is fantastic! the best ever! :) seriously the best school probally in upland :)

Posted January 25, 2010

If anyone has come here looking for a honest review of Carden, keep in mind that the school sends parents to this site to rate the school. Our family took our son out of Carden last year after four years. We feel that education is below average and not worth the money. The teachers our son had were not good. You can do much better elsewhere. We did.

Posted November 19, 2009

its a fantastic school! it is a exquisite school for us! they teach us french, spanish and latin and we go to quebec, and catalina island! I love it!!! :)

Posted February 10, 2009

My daughter has been a student at Carden since 1st grade and is now preparing to graduate from 8th. While investigating high school options, I have been pleased to find what I suspected all along. She will be very well prepared for high school, she will be very well prepared for college, and she will be very well prepared for life after college. Why do I know this? Because, she has tested very well in private high school entrance exams. When visiting the local public high school, we found that she is well above freshman level in math, English, and literature. She has demonstrated successful skills not only because she is smart, but also because she has received excellent preparation from outstanding and supportive teachers. She has learned to respect others, present herself well, and be proud of her own achievements. Carden has been worth every penny!

Posted February 8, 2009

Sending my two daughters to Carden has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. Equipped with a strong academic curriculum, a dedicated and diligent staff, a strong and devoted Head of School, and excellent outdoor educational opportunities, Carden has succeeded in providing my daughters with an exceptional foundation for success. It is just as important to note that Carden cares as much about a student s development of character as it does of his/her academic success. At Carden, students are encouraged to strive for and demonstrate the highest levels of respect, courage, honesty, and responsibility. One more thing I would like to mention is that when your children attend a school such as Carden, they not only have the ability to attend any one of the best high schools in the nation, they will be well equipped to be successful there and in college as well. This alone speaks for Carden s excellence in educating and in developing the whole child for success!

Posted February 6, 2009

Our familiy has two children at Carden Arbor View School. I am continually impressed at how much enthusiasm is expressed with the students combined with a dedicated diverse staff. The school has focus on the 'whole child'.

Posted February 5, 2009

I have a daughter who graduated from this school. She did excellent during her High School years, and has since graduated from USC. She attended Carden Arbor View for 9 years from kindergarten through eighth grade. The school's curriculum is very comprehensive and complete. The language arts program uses all classical literature and my daughter enjoyed the rich vocabulary.

Posted December 7, 2008

For parents that want to leave the educational process between the teacher and child only - Carden is not for you. Carden requires a 'community' approach towards the education process involving the teacher and the parent to support the child's learning experience. The school has a rigorous academic program that prepares the child not only for high school and college, but for life. Carden offers a phenomenal academic experience that is not for all people. Those of us that 'get' Carden, love Carden.

Posted July 14, 2008

My daughter has been at Carden for 4 years now and I have just enrolled my youngest daughter there also. I feel that Carden is an excellent school the well exceeds the State Curriculum for each grade level. The teachers and administration make sure that the children are well rounded and experience more than what the curriculum is limited to. They provide more than what I as a public school teacher am able to give my students, due to state requirements and testing. Carden makes sure that all students are well rounded based on the individual student, not a standardize test. This allows all students to become successful and aquire the skills necessary to continue that success.

Posted June 19, 2008

Carden has been a wonderful environment for our children. Having compared my Jr. High daughter to those of friends in other schools(Ok, I know you're not supposed to compare, but come on, we all do!!) I find her more organized, self-reliant and responsible. I believe this is due to the teachers and staff putting an emphasise on self-responsibility and instilling an attitude of truly caring about their schoowork and ethics. I would highly recommend CAVS to any family looking for a quality education for their children.

Posted June 18, 2008

Carden provides an excellent education to those who are open to a great education. A great education takes time and discipline on the part of the parents and children. The teachers have many years of experience and have mastered their subject matter. The Carden method is unchallengable when it comes to Grammar. A note to parents: even though you have your children in private school or public it is never a reason to 'check out' and think that (any) school will do your job as a parent and theirs as the educator. Parents must stay involved and guide their children.

Posted May 8, 2008

Carden is not a good school. Academically, CAVS is weak. Just examine the messages written by CAVS students on this site. They are full of grammatical mistakes. CAVS does do a good job of creating a safe, artificial environment for its students. The teachers, however, are sub-par -- and that's generous. Our children currently attend a public high school. Three other former CAVS students also attend this school. Each of them has struggled mightily academically and socially. In contrast, our children have succeeded. This is true, I believe, because we removed them from CAVS prior to the 5th grade. If you need a school that creates a make-believe environment to protect your children from the realities of life, CAVS is the place for you. If you want strong, academically-prepared children who will be able to thrive in the real world, CAVS is not for you.

Posted February 25, 2008

I attended Carden Arbor View from 1st to 8th grade. Not only do I feel prepared academically because of Carden s superb educational approach, but I also believe that Carden has equipped me with the necessary qualities that enable me to be a thriving, competent, and successful individual. I owe my current success and my future achievements to my education at Carden Arbor View.

Ethnicity This school
Black 3%
American Indian/Alaska Native 0%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab