No rating

Notre Dame School

Private | K-8 | 306 students

Living in Vacaville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $198,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,280.

Posted September 20, 2013

We have been at Notre Dame for 7 years and are very happy with the new principal as well as the academics. The principal has clear expectations of the students and is very involved and present in all activities at the school. He connects well with the students and is outside with them during recess as well as visiting the classrooms. We have bad no problem with bullying or curriculum standards. Our son completed 5th grade and did do a state project, actually a very in depth state project. Class sizes are larger than most of the other private schools, however, it has never been an issue. The kids are taught respect and there is discipline, however, it is not extreme. There are uniform standards and the kids can get in trouble for being out of uniform. We've never had an issue with it and if there are guidelines and rules than they should be followed. There is a drama program, sports, choir, Spanish, art, and computers. The tuition is lower compared to the other private schools. Parents are required to be involved and volunteer time and there are fundraisers throughout the year, as with many public schools and other private schools.

Posted September 4, 2013

We attended Notre Dame for all grades. Recently with the change in principal, the school culture has gone downhill. Some teachers are good- the math teacher is phenomenal, but all others are not equipped enough to provide a private education. The art program is a nice touch and my kids enjoyed that. The music and spanish program is a joke-- nothing is really taught. Some teachers do not follow CA standards and my child who was in 5th grade, never did a state report which is a requirement in other schools. After years of trying to hope for better academics, we decided to make the move out of ND. Our child is now at Jepson in 8th and is doing really well. It is a nice school. My other one is at Cooper and is actually challenged by academics now. Its sad to see this school not strive to exceed what public schools in the area offer for free, especially at the high cost of tuition. If you want your child to be ready for high school, stick with the public schools.

Posted July 17, 2013

I really like the small school feel. The children learn respect for one another. However I question the academics. I do not belive they are better then the public schools. I belive just like public school we are fighting for money. We are an average earning family who want to make our childs education a priority. However tuition is increasing and all year long they are asking for money for diffrent fundraising events. I feel we are being sandwiched out of being able to afford the school. My son also needs tutoring due to not understanding math this past school year (third grade). Math is not a subject my son has every had problem in the past. My husband asked why are we paying for school and tutoring. If we put him in public school then tutoring will not seem like such a big expence. This is something to think about. I want my son to recive the solid morals and values this school offers, but if he is going to be falling behind in math it my not make finacial sence to send him to NDS. My son has had difficulties in reading and the school offers a great reading specialist wich teaches well and my son really loves her. However he is at the age were he is embaressed to leave class.

Posted June 9, 2013

Teacher and principal is not responsive/lack empathy to my child's level of learning need of a higher curriculum. False assessments by the teacher on the progress reports and inability to differentiate made my child lose interest in school. Lack of sanitation in the classroom. My child came home sick from school almost weekly since the teacher confiscated and threw away her hand sanitizer spray. Her reason? People could be allergic to plain old alcohol used in many hospitals. No soaps in the bathroom. I agree with the comment below. Bullying does take place.

Posted May 2, 2013

I am a parent of two boys that attended Notre Dame School (NDS). Below is my review. Academics are questionable. A "side by side" comparison of CA State Grade Level Standards reveals that NDS is not up to par--especially in middle school English levels. Spanish is very lightweight. The math teacher is outstanding--he truly has a passion for mathematics and teaching. Athletics are a complete joke. Technology is not embraced. In my opinion, the school principal is very fast acting on discipline and does not listen to, or reason with, parents. He is quick to send out communication that chastises students and parents over minor uniform violations but does not send out communications praising individual student achievement. Bullying does take place--both by students and in some cases school staff. For example, the yard duty at the school will humiliate middle school age students by putting them on an extended "time out" in front of peers during recess which is embarrassing for the student. In sum, NDS is an excellent mediocrity. Parents who wish to have their K-8 children academically challenged to later compete in our global business society should look elsewhere. We have left NDS.

Posted June 6, 2012

Newer parish school in good neighborhood with small class sizes. My kids are challenged by the curriculum, like the extra curricular activites, and have only good things to say about the teachers. As a parent, my ratings for principal and teachers are lower because of their suspension policy and that they are fast acting with disciplinary measures. They will be getting a new principal for school year 2012 2013 which may help the situation. .

Posted March 15, 2012

I have a high respect and trust to all the teachers, staff and to the principal (Mrs Y) of Notre Dame School. THIS IS A GREAT SCHOOL. My son is in first grade and I am proud to say that he can read well. Notre Dame offers an excellent curriculum and lots of activities for students. The parents involvement are awesome. ND has an active Parents Guild and lots of activities too. It is a small community a big family!!! LOVE THIS SCHOOL

Posted May 15, 2010

I love this school! The teachers, faculty, and staff have been wonderful with my child. The curriculum and school activities are outstanding! The only complaint is the occasional over zealous parent. It seems the teachers have a lot to deal with the aggressive parents trying to run the classrooms. Leave it up to the teachers! They are doing a wonderful job.

Posted March 12, 2009

I can't say enough about this school! We love it!! My daughter has attended four other catholic schools across the U.S. and we find Notre Dame to be the best. The academic standards and expectations are very high. The faculty works well together to challenge the children on a daily basis. This school is doing everything right!!!

Posted February 11, 2008

This is our second year at Notre Dame and we love it. Christian values are taught in a loving way, and we have seen our child behave in a caring manner when interacting with others that we know is in part due to the teaching of values at Notre Dame. Academically we are pleased, they follow the standards, and expectations are high.

Posted March 15, 2007

We are new to Notre Dame and have experienced another local private school. We are extremely happy with Notre Dame and taken back by the warmness of the faculty and Principal. Our daughter s teacher is approachable, energetic and great with the children. We are very pleased we chose Notre Dame and only wish they offered high school classes so we could stay with them longer.

Posted May 26, 2006

Excellent school. High academic standards and high level of parent involvement. Excellent sports and extracurricular activities for students.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 22% 11%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Jeffrey Rodriguez
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Sacramento

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1781 Marshall Road