No rating

South Hills Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in West Covina

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $359,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,500.

Posted March 1, 2014

We love this school. Our child is in preschool and enrolled late last year (2013). The Preschool Director has been there for many years and is very caring when it comes to her kids and the teachers. The teachers have been there for years and are very good at what they do. They teach the kids about Christ and work daily on establishing a good Christian foundation. They use IB curriculum and send lots of homework home each week. My child loves homework as the teachers encourage learning in a fun environment. I feel very comfortable leaving my child here. This is the best private/Christian school in SGV. We looked around and were very careful about making our selection due to many bad experiences in the past. There are too many shady schools out there. We are very impressed that the teachers and/or Director let us know daily details about our child, good or bad, they tell us everything. They work on redirecting bad behavior and encourage children to grow at their own pace. We love the openness, caring, sharing and education this school has to offer. You can t go wrong enrolling at this school. Thank God for SHA! We feel very blessed!

Posted February 21, 2014

This school's academics is second to none. This school's staff is great, safe environment and now with excellent math and science program, there are no better Christian school out there. Bullying is not tolerated. Principal Jepson, Gilbert the Business manager are constantly working hard to improve the environment. Recently, the school has a winning record at ACSI spelling bee, Math Olymphics and Speech Mate. There are also private classes for foreign language. Now the school is a part of a very large international system of schools dedicated to superior education in math and science. Also the school recently signed up with Sylvan Learning Center to help students with their math tutoring at a discounted price. If you are look for a school with the best curriculum, excellent teachers, great front office and a principal who is enthusiastic about students and parents, look no further. Your child will soar high. Take it from me, I am a proud parent.

Posted July 31, 2013

if you look at all the reviews, you will notice they are old. Since the new management took over two years ago, they are HORRIBLE. All about profits. They don't care about the children or staff. They hire part time teachers who are college students. They are not organized AT ALL. They don't even know what uniforms to wear until days before the school year. The uniforms last year looked like a prison Halloween costume. Stay away. They are about cutting costs and increasing tuition every year.

Posted August 7, 2009

My daughter has been attending SHA preschool summer program. I figured summer school would be a good starting point to help figure out if she was ready for school. Well so far she loves it! Each night she asks me if she is going to school the next day. She talks about her friends. She is getting better at holding a pencil and writing her letters. It is awesome to see positive changes. The teachers are all genuinely nice people who seem to really care about the well-being of the children. I love this school and have no complaints.

Posted June 7, 2009

Great School! My son is very advance academically. He is only in grade 1, he is very good in math, reads very well, writes cursive, knows the bible, enjoys going to school. They have Renweb which you can check your child s grades electronically. They have secured gates. My family loves this school and will definitely recommend SHA to family and friends. God bless SHA!

Posted May 30, 2009

Evil principal, treat kids like privates, no respect, no patience.

Posted June 5, 2008

My son started SHA in kindergarten and will be in third grade. He has developed strong academic skills in math and language. He is learning about the Bible and to be respectful of authority. The program during summer is fun with field trips, academics, and enrichment classes. A wonderful school!

Posted May 20, 2008

My daughter has been attending in this school for 5 years now since preschool. The school has high academic standards. However, it would have been better if they can reduce the class size so the teachers can provide a more individualized approach. A lot of homework and tests every week.

Posted February 3, 2008

Good school. Excessive homework beginning in Kindergarten. Kind and supportive administrators.

Posted August 21, 2007

My son was in Kinder, my daughter in pre-school beginners class. Education: this school is excellent! My only concern was the amount of homework seems excessive for kinder. My son had atleast 3 worksheets, 4 pages to read and mark, and bible memorization nightly. This is too much for a 5 year old. There should be enough going on in the classroom that one sheet at night plus the rest I believe is sufficient. Teachers so far have been great. They do seem to work better with the 'smarter'students but overall they are friendly enough. Very strict, atleast the one my son got. Lots of after school activities for the extended day care, but it all adds up.School is very expensive. Worth the money, but I think teachers should offer more one on one with the students that are struggling and communicate more with the parents.

Posted July 5, 2007

My son was a former student of South Hills Academy. We moved him to another school after his Kindergarten year, during his time there he picked many bad habits from the other students that the teachers did not correct. Although the academics seemd to be challenging they did not enhance him as a whole child, there is no reason for a five year old to know cursive writing, it is a skill that is becoming obsolete, I would have rather he spent more time on the computer. I have moved him to our local public school which is a Califorornia Distinguished School, the curriculum there is better preparing him for the future as well rounded student than South Hills ever could have.

Posted May 16, 2007

I am impressed by both the academic standards as well as the overall atmosphere in this school. We have attended this school for a few years now. My children are about a year ahead of the public school students. I am also impressed by the fact that the faculty and staff take the time to learn all the children's names and make a point to address them by name. The school promotes an atmosphere of respect for one another and I think it goes a long way to making the kids feel comfortable. The school also has a variety of after school program available. They also have a summer session which focuses both on fun as well as learning. The level of parent involvement is good too. I have been very happy with this school.

Posted September 30, 2006

Entering Kindergarten my child already identifies words and simple addition. In her first month she is sounding out words (phonics) and doing addition and subtraction. She is writing in cursive and counts beyond 200.I was initially contemplating enrolling her at local elementary her kinder year. The local School is a distinguished Blue ribbon school in Phillips Ranch with many high marks. But the kinder's lesson plan was a repeat of all my child learned in Pre-K. The education here is 1 -2 years advanced over public school. What she gains at South Hills will help her in High School as to being able to enroll in advance courses. Various after school courses are offered from Lego engineering, Dance, Music, Sports, Science to karate and Art depending on child's age and aspiration.

Posted August 28, 2006

I am somehow impressed with its academics section. They teach students advanced mathematics, such as learning pre-algebra in 6th grade. The teachers are great. The behavior is average. For example there are some nice students but there are some that act like gangsters or are extrememly bossy to others.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 1, 2006

Great school and really make your child to be advance.

Posted December 29, 2005

South Hills Academy offers an excellent learning environment. Those who graduate from here leave SHA with a knowledge base that puts them ahead of most students entering high school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 27, 2005

Academic programs are excellent. There are several programs music, art, etc.. Parent involvement is welcome but not mandatory.

Posted November 30, 2005

Focus on academics. Strong points are math, phonics, reading, and writing. Teacher requires parents involvements.

Posted May 26, 2005

I'm the parent of 3 childrens currently attend at South Hills academy. The quality of academic programs here is excellent. My 4.5 years old preschool after attend here for 9 months can read Kintergarten book very well. She also can do simple math as addition, and subtraction from 1 to 20. My 2.5 years old also doing great in preschool. He can color, trace words, he know lot of words, he know many song, he sing and gain more confident. This school has many available classes as music, computers, art, and library. I can see my 3th grade daughter also improve a lot in math, reading since attend this school. I recommend this school to all the parents in the area.

Posted April 24, 2005

The academic portion is great, although I feel this school is a little outdated. Not much parent involvement as far as pre-school. The school has some good plays, but as mentioned the Chapel is very small very hard to accomodate most families. During the cold season, I believe the school should have an alternative to play indoors and not out in or near cold damp sand or wood chips. Teachers appear to be very good as well as strict.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 72% 11%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (626) 918-7730

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1600 East Francisquito Avenue