School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School is a FREE, PUBLIC Charter School that serves students in grades TK-12. Ivy Academia is the largest start-up, independent charter school in the San Fernando Valley authorized by LAUSD. We are committed to small class sizes, fully credentialed teachers, individualized instruction and a focus on entrepreneurial education each and every day. We take great pride in the academic excellence and the entrepreneurial program. For the past decade, Ivy Academia provided our families and community with high quality education and innovative opportunities. Facilities are our greatest challenge, and we work tirelessly to address the space we are provided by LAUSD each year and to improve private leases. Currently, Ivy Academia Elementary (Grades TK-6) is co-located on Taft Charter High School in Woodland Hills. We have developed a very positive working relationship with the Taft administrators and Taft Student Council. Ivy Academia Junior/High School (Grades 7-12) is located on Shomrei Torah Synagogue campus in West Hills. We have the most supportive relationship with our landlords. We would love to have our own campus, but we have consistently done the best we can with what is offered and available. Despite these challenges, Ivy Academia continues to provide a high quality education to our students. Our students and families appreciate the small class sizes and the attentiveness of teachers and administrators. Ivy Academia is a family! Due to the dedication and commitment of our teachers, administrators and parents, our students take AP courses in high school and are accepted to impressive universities. In addition, the students graduate with a real-world entrepreneurial knowledge that they will be able to apply. There is always room for improvement, and we work diligently to address the needs of each and every student. We invite you to give your child the opportunity to create, to innovate, to explore, and to learn as Ivy Academia Educates Our Next Generation of Entrepreneurs! Visit www.ivyacademia.com
August 18, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

My daughter goes to the Middle School. Prior to Ivy, I had her in a public middle school. On some level, the switch was good for her, because she was no longer a number, no longer a nameless face in the classroom. The teachers at Ivy do a great job establishing a connection with their students. Additionally, the teachers go out of their way to communicate with the parents. I received emails and phone calls if her grades are slipping. AND they are always accessible by email. That is something I never received at the local public school. Some of the teachers are AWESOME and some are just OK. I'm sure it's like this in any other school. Also, the ladies in the front office are organized and exceptionally helpful! The Principal has a good heart, but she is not as organized as she could be. She's really nice and extremely helpful. Just disorganized. But most importantly, the students at Ivy are questionable. Though there is no gang related activity at Ivy, like there was at my kid's public school, there is definitely a drug problem at Ivy. Moreso than in her old public school. The administrators are completely unaware of this. Additionally, there is rampant sexting and naked pictures being shared between students. That said, I have to continually check my kid's phone. Some of those students are really bad news. Some of the students are great. Maybe it's all typical middle school stuff, and I'm just an uptight mom. Regardless, it's more than what I saw at the public school. So, Ivy has its good qualities and it has its bad qualities. That said, if you are considering Ivy, remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Develops character: Disagree

teachers there have punished my child for something that she did not do or was out of her control and was done by another child. They just clumped her in with the other child without asking questions.

Every school within LAUSD seems to have its issues, as in the norm in CA unless you attend a private school and pay tuition. As a teacher at Ivy for over 4 years, I have seen the enrollment drop but it is primarily due to the movement of campuses and every school's funding depends upon enrollment and attendance numbers. However, Ivy remains competitive with a good API score, well above most schools in LAUSD, and every teacher is highly qualified. This means the students are being provided a good education and in classes sizes much small than the other local LAUSD public schools. Furthermore, Ivy has a great graduation rate and our students choose where to go after graduation because they have options. Yes, Some do go to Jr Colleges, but lets be honest, who isn't struggling financially in this economy? Finally, I would say the best thing about this school is the student and teacher relationships. If you don't want your student to be just a number and can't afford tuition, send your student to Ivy, they will get a competitive education if they put the effort in to do so!

We have had our daughter at Ivy since Kinder and now is in 6th grade, we had the nothing but excellent teachers that have high expectations of my child. They are always looking for the best way my daughter can excel academically. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! The staff has been very supportive over the years and we appreciate them doing their best to make sure our daughter gets the BEST education!

I enrolled my kid to Ivy Academia 5 years ago and the school was top notch, but unfortunately for the last 2,3 years it just fall apart, good teachers left same as good students, the new teachers are not good. I have to be his own teacher everyday from math to language art, as a 4th grader he can't write a good, complete paragraph. I don't know if the teacher had time to check their online homework individually. Then there was a kid that bullied my son and the school didn't do anything about it, they don't want to lose enrollment which mean losing fund, it used to be so hard to get in but now is more like free enrollment, anyone can get in. It was sad for my kid when I put him to another school but he couldn't learn if stay, good bye Puma.

Parents please pay attention to the negative comments, they are true. I have been at this school for many yrs & never been more disappointed as I have in the last couple of yrs. Yes, when I first decided to apply for the school it was great, the campuses were not so convenient, but the teachers & everything that the school had to offer was AWESOME, so the campus didn't seem so important. I was looking forward to having my kids attend the school until they were off to college, but all that came to a halt a few years after the original co-founder left. Things started going down hill, programs were taking away, good families were leaving & a lot of good teachers were gone. Unfortunately, the new director came and changed everything that Ivy stood for and turned it to a public school. This last year my child didn't really get much of an education due to lack of experienced teachers. Ivy lost a lot of funding due to lack of enrollment, which was never an issue before, you couldn't get into the school b/c of a long waiting list, well that doesn't exist anymore. They are begging us to tell our families & friends to enroll at IVY, that's not going to happen. I would not recommend this school to anyone. This has become a BAD LAUSD school. You'll have your die hard Ivy fans disagree w/me, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion & this is mine. DO NOT send your kids there!!!! Also do your homework and see how many kids that graduated from Ivy went to any Ivy league University or a big University. Most of the graduates end up in Jr. Colleges. I know I want more for my kids & so do they. Hope this helps with your decision.

Ivy Academia is an amazing entrepreneurial school with teachers and students that are highly engaged with a curriculum that is designed, and constantly reviewed, to meet the needs of all students with many levels of academic achievement. Even with budget and staff cuts, Ivy has still manages to be a top-notch charter school for it academic work! We've been with Ivy Academia for 7 years. I feel fortunate and proud to be a part of the IVY family!

My kid is in fourth grade, not able to write a complete paragraph, not able to understand what he read, never bring a paper package assignment home that he may need to turn it in for credits. All assignments were online that the teacher may not needs to grade or looks over. If the fourth grader don't get the concept or failing, too bad!!! Go some where to keep guessing or playing with IXL To get credit ( understand or not is not important, just keep get credit and move on). What happen to the Ivy that Great Russians recommend ??? So sad to witness a falling institutions Ivy at Taft A Parent who cannot sleep 4 am, April 10, 2015

We had very high hopes for this place, we heard it's "great". Nothing can be further from the truth. I believe it does not even merit the name of "school", at least the part we were exposed to, located in Taft High. While I can sympathize that LAUSD stuck them with this location, the challenges that presented have nothing to do with the failings of Ivy as a teaching institution. Here is what my kid experienced in the few months he wasted there in the Fall if 2014: a bunch of teachers quit, some right away, others right before Xmas, (the replacements never stopped complaining - TO THE KIDS! - about having to come over there and teach because they liked their previous classes so much more - ?!?!?!); my kid either got A or an F - nothing in between; the homework assigned never had anything to do with what was being taught: (did they made it up as they went along?); there were more subs teaching than regular teachers,; and nobody, ever, from the office or the teaching staff, returned my calls (i live out of town). We pulled our kid out of there after Xmas break: he described Ivy as a "summer camp with some classes thrown in". Keep your kid far away from this sad excuse for school.

As a student, I am able to discuss on how my school works in the inside. We students are taught entrepreneur skills that will help us later on in life when we want to create a business or be employed for one. Though Ivy Academia is not the richest of schools we are still able to strive and educate future business owners. Many of the students are kind and we have learned to accept differences whether you are gay or physically challenged. In fact these kids are appreciated for there differencesThis shows how tough of a school we are. Hopefully this review from a students perspective is helpful to you.

Last modified Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.