Justice Street Elementary

Charter | K-5 | 400 students

School for Advanced Studies Program

Living in West Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $325,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,420.

Posted August 20, 2014

I am in my fifth year at this school and have seen a lot of the changes and been an active participant in our community. I'm not sure what the crazy ups and downs are that are being reported and I have volunteered on the yard and do not think that there is an unusual amount of bullying. Happy kids having a full childhood is what I have seen and experienced. Parents that go to PTA events and volunteer in the class know that this is a great school and I am thrilled to have got in on the lottery five years ago. Even though we moved we are still attended Justice and we fully support this excellent public school!

Posted October 7, 2013

Our school Is Justice Street Academy Charter and in our opinion is is the best elementary school in the area. The principal is compassionate to the students needs and always tries to communicate with the parents in a positive way. The teachers are simply the best ever, teaching, smiling and giving the children exactley what they need and want. The campus is really safe and controlled. I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 14, 2013

I have had both my kids enrolled at Justice since the past 4yrs, and have come to a conclusion that it is a good school, but needs some improvements. They definitely need to get someone to clear up the dropping/picking up section. There are so many inconsiderate parents whom think they can just park at that zone just because. It not only put their children in a danger spot, but also put other children and drivers in a danger spot. The office staff is always cheerful and polite, and lets not forget our janitor's. This guys are great, and humble men-always smiling no matter rain, or sunshine. I have not met the Principle and don't care to either, because as I've heard she is not the best person to have a conversation with. I have not seen much of her neither have seen her do much either, and that shows what kind of Principle we have. That being said I think I gave my review of my kids school.

Posted July 14, 2013

This school was absolutely horrible. The principle doesn't know what she is doing. Both of my kids were mistreated and when I had to bring it up to the principle I was told that their school was really good with really great students. If that was so true, then why was my son being bullied? He was made fun of every day and we are still dealing with the repercussions of the things that were said to me. We also had problems with both teachers, they were unsupportive and unwilling to help much. My son also came home saying his teacher would yell at him and others in the class. He literally became afraid to go to school. This was such a horrible experience I made my family move just so I could be able to put my kids in a new school. This school showed me exactly why LAUSD has such a horrible reputation! So disappointed!

Posted June 27, 2013

My child goes to this school and has been a witness the continued verbal browbeating of her teacher by the new principal. She explained that the teacher is unable to get the principal to back them when it comes to the misbehavior of certain problem children, and for this, they are repeatedly spoken down to in front of the children. One instance was heard from across the schoolyard. I agree that this new principal has no idea what she is doing, or for that matter what her behavior is teaching our children. If she doesn't respect the teachers, why should the children?

Posted June 27, 2013

My children have gone to this school for several years. Initially I chose this school because I thought it would be better than the norm; quiet area, smaller school, etc. Although the teachers here ARE amazing, I agree that the new principal is clueless & unexperienced. After this last year under her supervision this is no longer an admirable school. Not only is there a huge bullying problem, (which includes their aggressive parents/older siblings who are allowed on campus unsupervised to add to the bullying)....yes there's bullying by adults too!!, there is also a big theft problem, anything and everything gets taken. The principal has shown to have an ostrich syndrome when it comes confronting any issues other than the school budget & fundraising. She literally hides from anything else. This has become a place I don't feal comfortable leaving my child, and seeing that my daughter is ASKING to change schools I think I will be doing so.

Posted June 27, 2013

Be careful when reading on this website. Anyone can post anything and its not necessarily the truth. Our school is moving in a very positive direction. Our primary goal is what's in the best interest of kids and we are striving toward common goals
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 1, 2013

As the school year draws to a close, I wanted to take an opportunity to thank you and your team for continuing to make Justice a School to be proud of. We have found Justice a school that allows the students to grow, learn and have fun, and it is that mixture which defines a childhood experience that the students will recall for a lifetime. I recognize that the administration of a school is no easy task as you navigate state test requirements, budget restraints and rising class sizes, yet I recognize your jobs as one of the most critical responsibilities, as each and every team member establishes the very foundation for 100 s of precious students. While your team focuses on education it is clear that the school recognizes the important balance of academics, technology, and play, all of which giving children a journey which is rewarding, exciting and memorable.

Posted June 1, 2013

We all take time to communicate when an issue arises, yet few take the time to acknowledge the incredible success stories against multiple challenges. My son has had an wonderful journey at Justice, and from Kindergarten through his current 4th grade the experience has been outstanding. Ms. Benedict, Mr. Wright, Ms. Budd, Ms. Jeager, and Ms. Richards, have all built an outstanding foundation for our son and for this we are grateful. Each educator has taken the time and made the sacrifices to mentor my son, share with us valued and appreciated feedback, and provide a positive and fun learning environment which we and our son cherish.

Posted June 1, 2013

I have expressed over the years our appreciation to the individual educators, yet wanted to share with you our appreciation of the Justice team, and the valued and appreciated experience your team has created for our son. As a graduate of Justice in 1972, I am proud of the commitment and dedication your team has made to the children of Justice and for creating a learning environment that has benefited the children in our community. I believe that our very future rests with the ideas, values, and experiences gained in the critical elementary school years, and it is the outstanding commitments made day in and day out in the classrooms of Justice that plant the seeds of success for the children in our community. The greatest reward in life is to make a positive difference in the life s of others, and the Justice team makes a difference every day. They make the children of our community their priority, and their efforts are cherished and appreciated! Sincerest Thanks

Posted May 16, 2013

Raising my kids here has been a pleasure. Really excellent public school for our family and we appreciate all the staff.

Posted April 4, 2013

This school has gone downhill,we feel sorry for the children that continue going to Justice. With all the other choices of schools nearby, we have chosen to use them for our childrens education.

Posted March 3, 2013

This school has brought many wonderful memories to my family. I am grateful that the teachers, principal, and PTA believe in collaboration. We are problem solvers and work hard to do what's in the best interest of children. Justice is a small school community where people know who my child is and where I feel he is getting a stellar education. Thank you to all of the positive people that belong to our school community!

Posted February 24, 2013

If your interested in this school for your children,let us advise you somethings.This school has become a charter school for and its for the worse.Do some research and compair this school to Pommelo School,compair the websites first.Just like the school its NIGHT and DAY.Infact compair this school to any in Simi Valley first.Some teachers are great and then you have the other ones.The leader of this school is dizzy,first year as Principal and we all hope the last one!Droping your kids off for school in the mornngs and picking them up is a nightmare alone.No safety areas.Parents drop kids off across the street and shove them across the street,others block the streets with NO respect of others. Our tip is dont use this school.

Posted December 8, 2012

Justice was a good school and since we got a new principal it is AWESOME! Yes finally this principal put a stop to those overcontrolling moms.

Posted September 27, 2012

I couldn't be happier for having my two children attending this school. Mrs. Villela (kindergarten), Mrs. Ianiro (2nd.grade) and Mrs. Plodinec (1st. grade) are awesome!!!.

Posted September 21, 2012

Justice Street School is a wonderful school and I have always been pleased with the teachers, staff, and administrators, however, the new leadership seems to really have changed the feel of the school. Every year I have been blessed with hard working teachers striving to provide lessons which are interesting and they have always been there to address any concerns I've had. I believe they are not bothered by change and most are excited to find new ways to improve the school, yet, this year the "family" feeling just isn't there and it's a direct reflection coming from the leadership or lack of. I hope the teachers will continue to make this school the best they can, even without the support of their new principal. It takes a"village" and I don't think the "chief" realizes this yet,,

Posted September 6, 2012

Unfortunately I have to give this school an unsatisfactory. It was a great school, however with the new administration there has been many changes that are not in the best interest for our children. Most of the teachers are ready for retirement and are not capable of giving our children the education they deserve.

Posted September 6, 2012

This was an excellent school. I do believe that change is good and it takes time to adjust. The principal seems overwhelmed and not ready to take on the challenge of being a great principal and giving the children what they deserve.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students66%

Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Tagalog
Spanish
Korean
Hebrew
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 900+ API Honor School (2013)
  • Affiliated Charter (2012)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 379 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Cynthia Hernandez Morrison
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Gifted / high performing
  • Multi-aged
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

23350 Justice Street