Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Scott Avenue Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2016
The awards system is awful at Scott Avenue..awards not based on child's classroom behavior, regular test scores, homework or classwork..but on a standard test created by the teachers of that grade based on the knowledge set forth by previous students. Every student is different. To base an award solely on how a child does on one test is terrible! My child got all O's and 3's (First/Second grade) on his report card and was never recognized for academic achievements. I've honestly never encountered that. What are we teaching our children? Don't have to work hard during the school year, slack off, behave poorly, but pass a silly sight word test and you'll be up there rewarded. Also, both of my children had received Perfect Attendance for both trimesters since the school year began. Both times their awards were messed up. They were acknowledged for Outstanding Attendance (which means you can miss one day of school). Both my children and myself work hard for that Perfect attendance. To not only be on time every day but healthy is an achievement that should absolutely be awarded. To have such an error occur not only once but twice is truly disheartening. I have been thoroughly disappointed with the education at this school. Friendly front office staff, wonder Kindergarten teachers but everything else EXTREMELY POOR!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 12, 2016
Mrs. Minasian was an exceptional Kinder teacher for my children. Wonderful and truly enjoys her job.

Posted August 08, 2014
My children and grandchildren have attended Scott Avenue over the past 23 years. In all categories it has remained excellent the entire time. Parental and community involvement is also very high. I would definitely recommend Scott Avenue School if you desire a caring and competent environment for your children.

Posted June 02, 2014
Scott Avenue is a wonderful school. Mrs Marquez (1st gr) is the BEST. Kind, compassionate, fair and honest. Sets realistic goals to her students. Office staff are needing a refresher course on communication with parents but overall they are great. The increase in class size because of "Inter District Permits" and "budget" has hindered us. But these teachers make miraculous happen with what they are given, even if it's out of pocket. Parents could volunteer a lot more.

Posted April 14, 2014
The staff is amazing. The teachers are most than willing to talk to parents outside of their regular hours. There are notifications to parents via voice mail messages regarding news and events. My child loves this school and feels safe there.

Posted April 01, 2014
Scott Ave has a great principle and teachers. My son is learning and has not had any problems. I am happy with this school for my children.

Posted October 20, 2013
I'm very happy with this school. Staff is very dedicated. Parents are highly encouraged to get involved. The budget hinders this school from being even better. Thanks Scott Avenue my kids love their school!

Posted June 30, 2012
I have the fondest memories of this school. I had Miss Dietrich in Kindergarten. All of my brothers went to this school as well. We were in this school until 6th grade and then on to Granda Jr. High. We had the best teachers, and so much fun! All of us went on to graduate with only the best of memories of school. Thank-you to the staff then and now! All the Best, Janet Stevens

Posted August 01, 2011
I love this school! I was in Mrs. Pettibone's Kindergarten class in 1962! It was a good school then Mrs. Pettibone could teach you to skip like noone else! She was about 150 years old too!

Posted November 09, 2009
I have two children that just started attending this school in September. My kids are from a private school and I was not thrilled that the economy force me to have to put them in public school. But, I must say this is a great public school. I am very impressed with the school academicly and My kids love it. I now have a different outlook on public schools.

11701 Scott Avenue, Whittier, CA  90604-3245
Last modified Scott Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.