Whittier, CA
Students enrolled: 1,420

Posted November 06, 2013
After all the negative rumors I heard about Pioneer, I was hesitate to send my daughter to this school. However, I am so glad I did. The staff at Pioneer are friendly and the teachers care about the students. My daughter is a Junior now and has been very successful due to the after school tutoring and interventions this school has in place to help your child succeed. The student population is lower than the other schools in the district and I feel that it benefits the students. The teachers and staff know the students by name which helps most of them stay out of trouble. My daughter has made wonderful friends. It is a safe and wonderful learning environment and I could not be happier.

Posted October 15, 2012
I am a Sophomore here at Pioneer and I cannot express how Pioneer High School is an amazing school. People see it as "ghetto" school, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Teachers are phenomenal, counselors are so academically involved in what you do, and we have the administration who greets us everyday at the gate. I have been to to other schools and they don't do that at all. Being the smallest school in the Whittier Union High School District we are very family based, once you step foot in campus you feel that home feel. Pioneer shapes you to be better and work hard! We are striving for success everyday. We have one of the BEST math departments in the district where we challenge students to discover what their strengths are and use them to their advantage. If you are debating on sending your son/ daughter here don't stress about it, Pioneer will be the best choice you have ever made.

Pioneer High School 3

Posted November 10, 2010
I attended here in the late 80s when this site wasn't around. What made this great was the friends I made and still keep. Some of the teachers are really good. However, some of them when I was there didn't know what they were doing, in particular the teacher who taught Math Analysis. I guess due to funding they couldn't get a proper teacher and had to use one who taught PE. I found out later that they also lacked faith in my ability to succeed, the Calculus teacher wrote in my yearbook my senior year that the faculty didn't think I could get better than a C. But the calculus teacher at that time was so awesome that I not only got an A in that class, I got a 5 on the AP exam! It just goes to show what students can do when they have excellent teachers. She believed in me even though other faculty still did not, and awarded the Math award at the end of the year to another student, although an excellent one, did not do as well as I did.

Pioneer High School 1

Posted May 05, 2010

Posted March 07, 2010
i am currently a student at pioneer high school and i can't express how glad and grateful i am to attend phs. the school has a myriad of activities, a great and dedicated administration and great programs. i am involved in ASB, several AP courses and various clubs. ASB recently won the outstanding activites program award, making our asb one of the greatest in california. our school has undergone many changes, modernization of the campus, and there have been ZERO fights this school year. the school is great,despite the negative connotations, and it still has more to offer. our athletic teams are also improving and many have made CIF this year. what can i say, i would NOT move to another school in the district. besides, phs is a young and thriving school, and as we enter the 50th year anniversary,we can be sure that phs will have a long, lasting legacy.

Pioneer High School 4

Posted December 17, 2008
I could not have been more disappointed when my daughter did not receive her transfer to a school out of the district and was forced to enroll at Pioneer. I can not tell you how HAPPY I am now that she is there! The administration is awesome, the teachers are excited to be there the counselors are so involved. I feel like our daughter is having the benefit of education at a private school within a pblic school that seems to have gone through a recent turnover for the good of all the students! As a former student of Pioneer I am so excited to see this school once again young and thriving; our communit should be proud of the principal and all that he and the administration have done to make positive changes that work. The students are receiving the very best education!

Pioneer High School 4

Posted December 15, 2008
You get the best of the school as much as you put into your learning. I graduated from Pioneer and was an AP student and now in college. From Pioneer, I can say the school helped me as much as I asked for it. Some of the teachers I had were some I am thankful for having. I can't say it's the best, but not the 'lowest in Whittier'. Students make the school. The new principal got money that's being put in and it seems it's being put to good use. I have hope in this school and I know when I'm older I'll be donating a significant sum to aid students.

Posted September 25, 2008

Posted September 13, 2008

Pioneer High School 1

Posted March 15, 2008

Pioneer High School
10800 Ben Avon, Whittier, CA  90606
Last modified Pioneer High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pioneer High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top