Chime Institute's Schwarzenegger Community

Charter | K-8 | 700 students

Living in Woodland Hills

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $505,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $2,180.

Posted April 17, 2014

The CHIME Charter School has truly gone above and beyond to find ways to assist my child. The assignments have been enlarged, color-coded, boxed in or even completely revised. The school has implemented online programs, buddy programs, graphic organizers, laminated reminder lists, scheduled break times, behavior rewards and so much more.Lessons are taught in many different , sometimes unconventional ways in order to reach the entire class. The teachers really think outside the box and make the lessons leap to to life. The accommodations at this school are seemingly limitless and always individualized to the specific student. I have three children at this school, one with special needs and two that are gifted and they are all being challenged and engaged. This is NOT one-size fits all school, and as a result all the students benefit and rise to find their own potential.

Posted February 5, 2014

I should start by stating that CHIME is a full inclusion school and is, by design, able to meet the needs of a wide range of students with learning and behavioral challenges. Both of my daughters have reading challenges and both have IEP's, one culminated last year and my other daughter still attends CHIME. There is a Special Ed Teacher in their classroom who supports students with learning challenges. The teachers provide accommodations for assignments as needed, fewer math problems, completing every other problem on a language arts worksheet, given multiple choice questions with fewer choices so child can focus on answers, and extended time. There are para professionals on campus and in classrooms who are assigned to work with students with more severe learning and/or behavioral challenges. The teachers are all supportive, understanding and caring. They reach out to parents when a student is struggling and they work with parents to ensure every child is successful. CHIME is a wonderful school!

Posted June 8, 2012

What an amazing place! We came to Chime from a private school due to financial issues and to our surprise it was even better! My son had Mrs. Jamison and Mrs. Green for second grade. They are wonderful teachers and we are extremely grateful that they were a part of our child's life. Chime is a community of acceptance and understanding. The school incorporates learing through art, music, gardening, and imagination! We really did win the lottery!

Posted May 27, 2012

I love Chime so much! I go there,actually, in 5th grade. In Chime there are a lot of activities to do, like special math games and fun field trips. In every grade there is always a fun project to do, even for the special needs kids.Those kids aren't separated from us, so it's nice to get to know them. The field trips are really fun,too! In kindergarten, you go to the LA zoo,in 4th grade,the California missions.You even go to,wait for it...DISNEYLAND in 5th grade for a culmination trip!!!This school is amazing,and is now a K-8 school!!!

Posted April 1, 2012

Chime is a unique and wonderful school. It looks at each child as an individual and helps him/her to grow and develop at their own pace, while holding the whole class to the same high expectations of all public schools. The teachers and staff are truly dedicated to the well being of the kids. I can't say enough positive things about this school. I just feel blessed to have my child attend.

Posted March 16, 2012

I have two children who attend Chime Charter. I have a special needs child and a typical gifted sibling that attends. The school and community is great and there is no bullying and my autistic child is nurtured and has friends that he wouldn't have at any other public school. It is the greatest place for a special needs child because the chime model is all about inclusion. Typical and and special needs children work side by side. For my academically gifted child Chime may not be the most appropriate. Although gifted students have special assignments and they are pushed harder what lacks is the healthy competition of being around other competitive students. When your other classmates are just as smart as you the level of your class discussion, projects are at another level. My friends who are at schools with 9 or 10 ratings have far more knowledge and the standardized test reflect that. Hands down a for a special needs child there couldn't be a better place in the Southern California, but if you have a typical gifted child Chime is not appropriate to challenge them. We are moving are gifted child to a 10 rated school and keeping our special needs child at Chime.

Posted June 25, 2011

My son is student at CHIME and we have been so impressed with his and our experience. He has been given a gift at this school. Yes, he gets all the required academics and enrichment for gifted children, but more than that he has learned empathy, team work, creative decision making and so much more. I am thrilled at how much i can be involved on the campus. Our parents are incredible. You really get to be part of your child's education at our school. That is not possible at many other schools, especially in the giant LAUSD system. I feel heard by teachers here and know my child's safety and personal and academic needs are being met. Our teachers teach as a team and know all the kids in their grade. We have many helpers in the classroom and mostly we have nice children who truly cared for. I couldn't ask for more from an elementary school. My son is learning to be a great human being at CHIME.

Posted June 1, 2011

I will forever be grateful that my children attend Chime. All the staff is genuinely caring and know my kids by name. The Teachers are always available to you and genuinely care about your child. As soon as I feel one of my children is struggling on a subject they immediately are open to a group meeting to discuss a better way to help my child whether it be academic or behavioral and this is just with my typical child. Thank you Chime Staff for being there for my children above and beyond of what is expected of you.

Posted May 13, 2011

I am wondering what review people are referring to as I haven't seen it. I am a parent of a Chime student and I'm glad that my child goes there. The teachers (that we've had to this point) are wonderful and seem to take so much pride in what they do. Parents are more involved than at your average school, which makes all of the difference if you ask me. This seems like more of a nurturing environment than at your avg. neighborhood school. However, to say that Chime is challenging is not my experience at all. My child scores pretty much in the middle and is not labeled as gifted. however, I find the curriculum to be very basic and not nearly as advanced as friends in several other public schools. I do find that friends at Chime that are behind are catered to and sometimes it seems like the preoccupation with those children takes away from the students who are in the middle or gifted. However, if my child were behind, I'm sure I would be happy with the philosophy. It's unfortunate that our school lost its great principal and hopefully the new one coming in the fall will give the school the guidance that it needs.

Posted May 11, 2011

"A great school has: Excellent Teachers; Strong principal/school leadership; Challenging academic programs." This is the definition of "a great school" given the margin beside the box I'm typing in. CHIME has all of these in spades. The teachers AND the amazing support they are given is what makes CHIME so different, I think even more so than the Charter that focuses on inclusion. Strong Leadership - absolutely. Challenging academic programs - absolutely. If you want an extremely gifted magnet school, there are plenty of those to go around, and this isn't one. If you want a school that focuses on educating ALL children, you can't get better than CHIME. YES of course there is fundraising -- I'm sorry, you are either at a public school fundraising like crazy or you are paying for a private school. I don't think there is another option. And if you are looking for a school where you agree with and like all of the other parents, maybe home schooling is for you. (BTW, posting anonymously on this site and messing with the star rating is rather pathetic. Clearly you know this person with which you are so annoyed, I suggest you have a conversation with her, or the principal.)

Posted May 11, 2011

Wow - I'm disgusted that the reviewer below used this website to start trolling over something unrelated to the quality of education that CHIME offers. I have 2 kids at CHIME, and anyone reading this should know that regardless of the 1 star rating afforded below (posted May 8 2011), if you happen to be lucky enough to be accepted to CHIME, you should do yourself a favor, and stop looking anywhere else, and literally pat yourself on the back for being so lucky. It might be the best school in SFV you could get your kid into. Parents drive long distances (from Toluka Lake in some instances) to get their kids there. The teachers are engaged, professional and they go way above and way beyond to provide your kid with the very best education that you could hope for. Every school has parents who harbor ill-will toward other parents, but you would be doing yourself and your kid a massive disservice by putting any stock in that 1 Star Review.

Posted May 11, 2011

I think the pervious review was completely out of line. I do not think this is the correct forum to complain about other parents and worse than that, making negative comments about a child. CHIME does an excellent job educating children. I have 2 kids with different needs and learning styles and they are both getting the help they need as individuals. I personally like the reduced homework so my kids can spend after school time enjoying other activities like sports and music. If you feel not having homework is an issue for your child talk to the teachers, I am sure they can provide supplemental work.

Posted May 11, 2011

This too is directed to the posting from May 8, 2011. Clearly, their posting was not used to rate CHIME but to make a personal attack. I have two children at CHIME Elementary and can't compliment the staff enough. The teachers work hard to create exciting curriculum and ensure your child's needs are being met. As for the accusations made, I don't see any support within the review and question their accuracy. I too am concerned about the change in homework philosophy, but in my discussions with the teachers, they assured me they are monitoring this to ensure the quality of education remains intact. As I am not a teacher and have no reason to doubt them, I am willing go along with our teachers. I think the 5/8/11 posting says more about the parent than the school.

Posted May 11, 2011

Hi, I am a former Chime Aide! After reading this review, i was very disapointed. I was with the school for a little over 2 yrs. It was home to me. I saw students everyday that either I worked with or that I knew in general. Chime blends together students from all backrounds. I myself have special needs! Nothing and No one can define normal! Chime both gets that and understands it! Chime believes that Person First Lango is the way to go. In the end the child with special needs ends up having more friends then the child without!

Posted May 11, 2011

This school is absolutely wonderful. I could not have asked for more. It is like a second home to us and the students, teachers and staff are like our second family. The parent involvement is absolutely amazing and so effective in making our kids find a sense of belonging. I will recommend this school to anyone who wants their child to get a wonderful education and then some.

Posted October 28, 2010

No one is just a number or a file or a permanent record at this school, everyone is an individual with his or her own needs that the shcool tries its best to meet.

Posted September 13, 2010

When my son wakes up every morning and is happy to be going to school, I know, without a doubt, that he is in a good place. The teachers and faculty at Chime are exceptionally in tuned to the needs of the students. Granted, there are way too many fundraisers and volunteer requests. However, if it weren't for all the parent volunteers, Chime would be partially successful. As parents, we look for certain criteria such as safety, academics, individual expression, and Chime offers all of that and more.

Posted September 8, 2010

This school is a blessing with a few annoyances. Both of my daughters attend this school. There are many wonderful, caring teachers at this school and it is a respite for a panicked parent dealing with the LAUSD. That said, if your child is gifted or above average academically, the odds are high that he or she will be BORED. Inclusion is wonderful, but at this school it costs the brightest students some stimulation. Feelings and consideration are stressed here, but everyday practicalities are sometimes lacking. Don't be surprised if your child has an intensive, well motivated lesson plan (lovely) but cast out into the melee without further thought as soon as it is completed. Be ready for LOTS and LOTS of fundraising and donation requests. Chime is the Wimpy of charter schools.

Posted May 19, 2010

This is the school that all schools should model themselves by and that every parent wishes they could have attended because we know we would be better people today. CHIME is an inclusive school where children with all abilities learn together. It really is the way the world should be. The children learn to care for each other and every student is valued and brought to their full potential. The teachers and faculty are passionate and take great care in curriculum as well as students' well being.

Posted May 19, 2010

This school is a true 'heart and soul' model for what a school - and our world - should be. It is a true community of caring teachers, parents and students who practice the best of traditional education mixed with creative and innovative tools and approaches. Twenty percent of the students at CHIME are Special Needs; they learn and play side by side with the 'typical needs' and 'gifted' children; they are all one and all kids (as well as parents) benefit from this. It is a model school for inclusive education - educators from all over the world travel to CHIME to study its success.

This school's

(2012)

7 / 10

6 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

7 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

6 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students71%

Fluent-English proficient and English only62%
Parent education - college graduate65%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate69%

Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/AN/A
English language learners 10%N/AN/A

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Spanish
Transportation options
  • None

School culture

• The community at chime is one of our most special aspects! volunteers work in a wide variety of areas including the outdoor classroom, library and art room. family members who wish to work in classrooms directly with students receive training. efforts are always made to match expertise and talents with needs.